Registrar - basic questions

Sorry in advance for the noob Qs! I'm a web designer just getting into hosting and domain names. . .

I want to register a few domains, some for many years in advance. I understand these are good registrars (in order of my current perceptions). Not looking to save a few dollars, want security and support.

enom via namecheap for support and (maybe?) hand-holding for a newbie like me
    setting myself up as an enom reseller seems OK too, but maybe less hand-holding?

dotster, also have a reseller program

nervous about godaddy's suspend-before-investigate for spamming/phishing complaints

looks like all of them grab your domain if you let it expire, seems unethical to me but if ICANN's not going to step in I guess it's inevitable (added-value service idea here - let me pre-pay for 100 years!)

If you want security and support, then probably your best choice is www.moniker.com who have an execellent track record on both issues.

NameCheap are also a good choice, but there have been a few issues with their support, both good and bad.
    Signature Under Construction.

best choice is www.moniker.com

> best choice is www.moniker.com

Thanks for that.

> NameCheap are also a good choice, but there have been a few issues with their support, both good and bad

And the fact that they're tied in with enom, who've lately seems to have taken a wrong turn.

I reckon NameCheap's probably big enough to go direct with ICANN, probably a good idea to keep their good rep intact.

Dealing with a registrar that makes money off my domain expiring or getting suspended really leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. . .

Dealing with a registrar that makes money off my domain expiring or getting suspended really leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. . .
    They all do it. Some are worse than others.
    Signature Under Construction.

hans, I'd recommend NameCheap. Been using them for about 3 years with no problems to date

I guess I'm just lucky
    $this->hasFlavr() ? $nom->nom('nom') : $want->doNot()