rsync with CPanel?

A friend of mine has a small hosting account on a CPanel box, and was asking me about making backups. She has a dialup connection; it takes forever to download backups.

I wanted to suggest something like rsync, which could just transfer what's changed. But I don't believe CPanel boxes have rsync, do they? (Unfortunately, I don't run the box, and I'm fairly sure she doesn't even have shell access, so just installing rsync on it isn't at all an option.)

Are there any easy ways to do differential backups with CPanel? And do you think we might see rsync standard with CPanel anytime soon? It'd be a really nice feature to have.

Cpanel boxes have rsync. That of course is in the OS rather than in CPanel.

cpanel itself uses rsync for backups if you don't use compression.

If you don't run the servers it may be a bit tough. Also is your friend running linux too?
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

No, but I'm fairly sure there are Windows apps to do rsync. (Plus I could just do the downloads for her if need be.)

But I assume that they won't just accept a download/login via rsync?

Yes. you are right there is. wasn't thinking straight. Haven't slept for too long.

However since you don't run the box, it's going to be a bit tough.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••