Windows Phone 8 Users - Favorite Apps?

Anyone here have a Windows Phone 8?

I have one and I have to admit that I do like it. Almost to the point of loving it. Naturally, the apps available is the major shortcoming but slowly and surely it's rising up. There's a few apps that I love such as RoadTracks which functions as a dashcam but I'm always looking for more to expand my experience.

What are some apps you use for fun? For Business? For Productivity?

I'd love to hear them and check them out.

I just got a new laptop today with Windows 8! I am very interested to see replies here

So far I am still working on moving my apps around and getting things installed
    Currently hosting with Big Brain Global Networks

Quote Originally Posted by Ev3nflow View Post
    Anyone here have a Windows Phone 8?

I have one and I have to admit that I do like it. Almost to the point of loving it. Naturally, the apps available is the major shortcoming but slowly and surely it's rising up. There's a few apps that I love such as RoadTracks which functions as a dashcam but I'm always looking for more to expand my experience.

What are some apps you use for fun? For Business? For Productivity?

I'd love to hear them and check them out.
    I had windows phone 7, windows phone 8 and windows phone 8.1 (dev edition).

I love the OS... it is great.

Unfortunately, it is not represented well on sprint.....

So I carry an Andoid device for personal and for business a Blackberry Q10 (had a BB 9900). Mainly use my windows phone as a gps and music box.

Windows phone has all the apps I need, except a way to cleanly tether (they have one app, but I'm not sure about it). I tether maybe once or twice every two months so I don't want to pay...
    Windows 10 to Linux and Mac OSX: I'm PARSECs better than you. Eat my dust!!!

I have to say, Nokia is the way to go if you go Win Phone 8. Their addon-apps help bridge the gap with Phone 8's app shortcomings in general, and the "Internet Connection Sharing" works great with my tablet and laptop when needed.

Of course barely any of the big app studios are developing Phone 8 Apps, but I think that will change.

I have a Nokia but it is a "starter" model, I guess you can say.

As far as the Nokia app bridge goes - I agree with you 100%. The Nokia Drive (or maps in general) app is absolutely epic, and doesn't require an internet connection. How cool is that?

I plan on upgrading in the future to a better model but I believe I'll be sticking with the WP8 platform. The apps will come, in time, as the phone grows in popularity which it has been doing. The tethering needs work, for sure, as it seems to be an after thought for this device sometimes requiring some rigging just to get it to function properly.

Currently running the 8.1 dev OS as well and, while she has a ways to go, I'm enjoying Cortana.

Quote Originally Posted by JanglewoodLLC View Post
    I have to say, Nokia is the way to go if you go Win Phone 8. Their addon-apps help bridge the gap with Phone 8's app shortcomings in general, and the "Internet Connection Sharing" works great with my tablet and laptop when needed.
    You have to pay for connection sharing, correct? My T-Mobile wp8.1 phone does not have internet so I can't test it... but on other devices, you need the tether plan.

Of course barely any of the big app studios are developing Phone 8 Apps, but I think that will change.
    All the big studios I need are on WP 8.1... it all depends on what you need, I guess. I've never found the apps to be a huge deal. That is why I get along well with BB Q10...

Internet Connection Sharing does cost me a $5/month tethering plan. I figured it was worthwhile to pay the extra $5 than to have the hassle of having to get tethering working while providers are trying to block outside tethering apps.

I still think that the Nokia Lenses apps and Nokia Drive are what make the platform nicer than most. Without Nokia drive are there even any decent inexpensive GPS apps for win Phone? Last I looked there was no official Google Maps app and those third party options that were available were less than idea.

Internet Connection Sharing does cost me a $5/month tethering plan. I figured it was worthwhile to pay the extra $5 than to have the hassle of having to get tethering working while providers are trying to block outside tethering apps.

I still think that the Nokia Lenses apps and Nokia Drive are what make the platform nicer than most. Without Nokia drive are there even any decent inexpensive GPS apps for win Phone? Last I looked there was no official Google Maps app and those third party options that were available were less than idea.
    I would pay $5 a month... that is very reasonable.

I'll have to check with sprint and see if it that cheap. In the past, they had it at $15 to $20 per month, which I thought was high for the limited time that I tether.

Thanks for taking time to post.

Far as maps... I think win 8.1 has one more, but I don't remember the name off hand. My nokia device is in for service right now (they have great support). As I said, I use it for an audio device and the jack messed up since I had it connected via 3.5 in the car. It would fall and caused it to short inside the device. I hooked up Bluetooth in the car now so that won't happen again.

Sprint isn't that reasonable, I believe it's $20 or more, depending on how much tether bandwidth you use. MetroPCS charges $5 to add on to any plan. I love Verizon's tether policy the best who basically says "Hey, it's your data, do with it as you please". EG you pick how much data you want on your device/plan and you can tether for free (but you use your device bandwidth).

Tethering isn't mission critical to me, but I like that it's available when I need it, and not an exorbitant fee.

What's your budget?

Seriously, what's your budget?

$49 for a great gps and Music box (if you have xbox music).

I'm trying hard not to buy this.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    $49 for a great gps and Music box (if you have xbox music).

I'm trying hard not to buy this.
    It's one of the best smartphone deals, ever. Fortunately this comes around every 3-4 months. So it should return around Oct/Nov if you're still on the fence.

We own the Nokia Lumia 521 which is the T-Mobile version and we love it, here's how we use ours:

To my knowledge it's never been activated or we did briefly using a prepaid plan. Currently there is no SIM card inside. Yes that means we cannot send/receive phone calls or text messages which is fine with us.

Media player, it's great with MP3/video content.

Camera/camcorder.

Surf the internet using WiFi.

Windows apps and games, of course Windows phone app selection pales in comparison to Apple iOS and Android.

I've saved the best for last. Offline GPS navigation which doesn't require an internet cellular connection. You charge the cell phone, connect to your WiFi network, download the maps you need for free, hop into your car and start using it.

Here's an informative thread discussing this phenomenal entry level smartphone.

Buy now, think later.
    What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    It's one of the best smartphone deals, ever.
    I got my 521 on Black Friday last year for $60 and I drove 3 hours to pick it up. It was definitely worth that.

If the haters would give it a try before badmouthing the OS it would be a lot more popular than it is now.

At $49, it's an absolute steal for whatever you decide to use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ev3nflow View Post
    I got my 521 on Black Friday last year for $60 and I drove 3 hours to pick it up. It was definitely worth that.

If the haters would give it a try before badmouthing the OS it would be a lot more popular than it is now.

At $49, it's an absolute steal for whatever you decide to use it for.
    Kudos and I'm glad you're happy with your purchase. I'm not sure I would drive 3 hours for a cell phone, unless it was a RossMAN caliber deal like an LG LG3 unlocked out of contract for $149 out the door, I might drive 3 hours for that.

You're right, people should give it a try before passing judgement. Yes these aren't flagship specs but for sheer bang for your buck, there is no equal. Activate this on an AT&T or T-Mobile pre-paid MVNO and you have a heck of a deal.

Now I want to buy another, must resist the temptation.
    What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by RossMAN View Post
    It's one of the best smartphone deals, ever. Fortunately this comes around every 3-4 months. So it should return around Oct/Nov if you're still on the fence.

We own the Nokia Lumia 521 which is the T-Mobile version and we love it, here's how we use ours:

To my knowledge it's never been activated or we did briefly using a prepaid plan. Currently there is no SIM card inside. Yes that means we cannot send/receive phone calls or text messages which is fine with us.

Media player, it's great with MP3/video content.

Camera/camcorder.

Surf the internet using WiFi.

Windows apps and games, of course Windows phone app selection pales in comparison to Apple iOS and Android.

I've saved the best for last. Offline GPS navigation which doesn't require an internet cellular connection. You charge the cell phone, connect to your WiFi network, download the maps you need for free, hop into your car and start using it.

Here's an informative thread discussing this phenomenal entry level smartphone.

Buy now, think later.
    I know... I had one of the original 521 threads on WHT. Back when it was not (as) popular.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1264793

I found a NEW phone, that looks MUCH nicer than the 521, for the same rock-bottom pricing

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/ph...bmc-src-google.

The Nokia Lumia 630 packs a QuadCore CPU, can handle up to 128GB MicroSD cards, and runs Windows Phone 8.1

Plus purchased Online through cricket the phone is $50 with a $50 Mail In Rebate

Is it me, or are these Budget phone providers, that were picked up by larger carriers, actually starting to REALLY fight for the low-end of the market?

(Cricket is owned by AT&T and MetroPCS by T-Mobile, and of course Sprint owns Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile)

I found a NEW phone, that looks MUCH nicer than the 521, for the same rock-bottom pricing

http://www.nokia.com/us-en/phones/ph...bmc-src-google.

The Nokia Lumia 630 packs a QuadCore CPU, can handle up to 128GB MicroSD cards, and runs Windows Phone 8.1

Plus purchased Online through cricket the phone is $50 with a $50 Mail In Rebate

Is it me, or are these Budget phone providers, that were picked up by larger carriers, actually starting to REALLY fight for the low-end of the market?

(Cricket is owned by AT&T and MetroPCS by T-Mobile, and of course Sprint owns Boost Mobile and Virgin Mobile)
    You can get any phone for that amount, almost. You have to purchase it with a plan.

The phones we are talking about, you walk out the door and don't have to pay a monthly subscription for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by hekwu View Post
    You can get any phone for that amount, almost. You have to purchase it with a plan.

The phones we are talking about, you walk out the door and don't have to pay a monthly subscription for two years.
    Same with cricket. Cricket is a prepay style provider so you purcahse it online for $50 and never activate it. And it's a QuadCore Windows Phone 8.1 Phne

Same with cricket. Cricket is a prepay style provider so you purcahse it online for $50 and never activate it. And it's a QuadCore Windows Phone 8.1 Phne
    No... when you go to buy, it says in small print "Qualifying monthly service plan required // Currently in-stock"

The terms, conditions, etc say: "Offer ends September 11, 2014. While supplies last. No rainchecks. New activation on qualifying smartphone plan required."