Best place to buy dedicated server with safe data

I'm customer for iWeb for few years.

Everything is ok except one thing: after 1 each year HDD on my server died.

they replaced my old HDD with new one (without fee) . however, i have to backup and restore data to new HDD. that take a long time for me.
    with error HDD , sometimes ,it takes few days to backup and restore 1 G data that's too bad.

For now, i want to buy a dedicated server with persistence HDD , or quick backup / restore services. because i want to store 200G photo ... if my HDD dead, i have no time to restore all of this data

anyone can recommend for the best server company ?

ps: sorry, english is not my native language.
    Last edited by rassen; 02-26-2014 at 10:59 AM.

No server company can guarantee that a hard drive won't die. All hardware fails eventually. You need to setup RAID so that you are protected from a hard drive failure.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Customers are our #1 priority - Read Our Reviews
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    No server company can guarantee that a hard drive won't die. All hardware fails eventually. You need to setup RAID so that you are protected from a hard drive failure.
    with RAID, my data will be clone to the other HDD, however, it'll take lot of times to restore data and rebuild system.

any better solution ?

how about cloud server?

Quote Originally Posted by rassen View Post
    with RAID, my data will be clone to the other HDD, however, it'll take lot of times to restore data and rebuild system.

any better solution ?
    With RAID, when a drive fails the system doesn't rebuild. Your server is still 100% functional, you just replace the second drive and the drive will be synced. During that process your server is still accessible and you can use it as you normally would.
    ReliableSite.Net LLC - Offering Enterprise Grade Dedicated Servers Since 2006 [New York City metro / Miami, FL / Los Angeles, CA]
    Need epic pricing on 1G and 10G unmetered? We have amazing deals and a 10 minute setup time! Click here to view incredible deals.

Quote Originally Posted by RSNET-John View Post
    With RAID, when a drive fails the system doesn't rebuild. Your server is still 100% functional, you just replace the second drive and the drive will be synced. During that process your server is still accessible and you can use it as you normally would.
    sync large data will take a lot of time.
    so , how about cloud server? or VPS?

i'having one VPS on the knownhost, after 3 years in use, no HDD die.
    but with iWeb dedicated server die 3 HDD till now after 3 years.

VPS providers and cloud hosting providers use RAID.....that's why there is no data loss during a hard drive failure.

Most clouds and vps are simply using raid on local storage. A raid 1 rebuild on your dedicated server won't even be apparent to you, with modern controllers it's a transparent process.

many tks. so that's mean i should use VPS , cloud servers instead of dedicated server?
    because i don't know much about raid or how to setup raid or what to do if one HDD die.

because i don't know much about raid or how to setup raid or what to do if one HDD die.
    NO you should use a combination of Raid & backups

Quote Originally Posted by HostingBig View Post
    NO you should use a combination of Raid & backups
    why? in case of 2 hdd die at the same time or any risk or losing data?
    i coudn't backup 200g regularly

Hello.
    In this case, you need to head for uptime.
    Every company has these details, and usually indicates it all online. In other cases, it is possible to contact with sales

why? in case of 2 hdd die at the same time or any risk or losing data?
    i coudn't backup 200g regularly
    The chances 2 hard drives die at the same time is pretty rare. And for those who are worried about something like that there is Raid-10 in which you have 4 drives and up to 2 drives can die without dataloss. But I am wondering if your server at iweb is using desktop grade hard drives instead of server grade that are intended for 24/7 use.

I would certainly suggest getting Raid-1 as that will solve all your issues, and make sure the host sets up Raid alert notifications as raid is useless if you are not aware of the failed drive and it never ends up getting replaced.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

OP Firehost seems like a good deal for you.

If you need redundancy then you need a Cloud instance or at least redundancy in the HD.
    Last edited by HRR--; 02-26-2014 at 02:44 PM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by HRR1963 View Post
    OP Firehost seems like a good deal for you.

If you need redundancy then you need a Cloud instance or at least redundancy in the HD.
    Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive - John View Post
    The chances 2 hard drives die at the same time is pretty rare. And for those who are worried about something like that there is Raid-10 in which you have 4 drives and up to 2 drives can die without dataloss. But I am wondering if your server at iweb is using desktop grade hard drives instead of server grade that are intended for 24/7 use.

I would certainly suggest getting Raid-1 as that will solve all your issues, and make sure the host sets up Raid alert notifications as raid is useless if you are not aware of the failed drive and it never ends up getting replaced.
    what's difference between raid software and hardware?
    with raid software, if one hdd die, i only request hosting provider to change hdd only.
    and the hdd with automatic sync?

Well there are benefits and downsides to each, to name a few:

Software Raid:
    - Causes slight load on the main CPU
    - No write cache to boost performance
    - Cheaper than hardware raid (its free)
    - Using software raid means one less piece of hardware to fail

Hardware Raid:
    - Offers better performance than software raid as it has a dedicated CPU and cache memory for all io processes.
    - You can enable write cache which considerably boosts performance in a typical HDD array.
    - Costs money as its a physical piece of hardware

I tend to recommend to clients to go with software raid for Raid-1 and hardware raid card for Raid-10, its more economical.
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Server Solutions
    Specializing in Managed NVMe VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Netherlands is the best place.

I still can't understand what is wrong with RAID?

The syncing happens behind the scenes and you do not even notice it.
    Everything stays online and running without any effect on your server.
    Maple-Hosting - Netherlands Dedicated Servers
    Award-Winning Highly-Customizable Dedicated Servers Since 2008

“After 14 months, I can’t give them less than 10/10 on all aspects!” - Read Our Customer Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Maple-Hosting View Post
    I still can't understand what is wrong with RAID?

The syncing happens behind the scenes and you do not even notice it.
    Everything stays online and running without any effect on your server.
    Except IO performance is reduced and there's a high risk of losing another disk as the array builds.

David Man
    www.openitc.co.uk - We create, we host, we connect - Fully Managed VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    www.direvps.com - When nothing but price matters! - Brutal marketing for a brutal market!

Quote Originally Posted by davidman View Post
    Except IO performance is reduced and there's a high risk of losing another disk as the array builds.
    IO performance shouldn't suffer, assuming you have a proper RAID controller. Rather than 1 HDD writing a certain file, you have a similar HDD writing the same file at the same time. Both individual HDDs don't need to do anything extra (unless you are rebuilding the RAID array). If you have a bad RAID controller, it will bottleneck the IO, but that shouldn't happen.

Suppose there is a good chance the other disk fails, you still have a larger chance of being able to save the data compared to having a single HDD which is lost when it fails. But I doubt HDDs fail so rapidly after each other.

Quote Originally Posted by i7Grendel View Post
    IO performance shouldn't suffer, assuming you have a proper RAID controller. Rather than 1 HDD writing a certain file, you have a similar HDD writing the same file at the same time. Both individual HDDs don't need to do anything extra (unless you are rebuilding the RAID array). If you have a bad RAID controller, it will bottleneck the IO, but that shouldn't happen.

Suppose there is a good chance the other disk fails, you still have a larger chance of being able to save the data compared to having a single HDD which is lost when it fails. But I doubt HDDs fail so rapidly after each other.
    In my experience, when a RAID is rebuilding, performance suffers quite badly. A checksum still needs to be performed across drives so there should be some impact.

HDDs are at greatest risk of failure during the rebuild. As disks get larger and larger, it's calculated that certain RAID configurations won't ever reliably rebuild without failure of another drive.

David Man
    www.openitc.co.uk - We create, we host, we connect - Fully Managed VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    www.direvps.com - When nothing but price matters! - Brutal marketing for a brutal market!