Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Any script in any language that connects to a database needs the password to do so, whether it's in PHP or C. It's not as difficult as you might think to pull a string out of a binary file. This doesn't make it any less secure-- if you don't want someone to have access to your database, you obviously wouldn't allow them to access a file with your database password in it in the first place.
    Brendan is quite right on this. It's fair to say though that in terms of stripping out strings, it's not hard to obfuscate them so that you can't see them trivially. We do this with some of our own products so that running a tool such as Unix strings reveals only what we want people to see if they are poking around, and we also have some fun with the symbols, but this only stops someone trivially seeing the strings.

PHP has a bigger problem, which is where Brendans second point really hits the nail, in that it's opensource. Encoding files of course makes sense, but even doing this, calls to mysql_connect still head out into the world of open source code and the potential for someone changing it and logging the username and password to a file. Therefore it's important to avoid a) the PHP installation on the machine where scripts run from being compromised, and b) for scripts not to be runnable on a separate system that might well be running a modified PHP because it's in the home of a hacker. If the files are encoded then there's at least a window of opportunity within which to detect the intrusion and shutdown the system before a hacker has had time to setup a system that can coax the encoded scripts into making the mysql connect with their modified PHP, discover the password, and then come back to try and take advantage of it. However, as Brendan says, as far as possible you need to prevent access to the scripts in the first place, and have systems in place that have a good chance of detecting and raising an alert of an intruder when and if it happens.

With security you really have to ask yourself "what if" all the time, or at least until you reach a comfort zone where a breach becomes not a problem. Most of us will put locks on our houses as that stops easy theft. But we have to ask "what if" we still get burgled? To minimise the damage if the locks get broken we take out insurance. But "what if" the insurance doesn't cover us? To mimise that risk you would use a well known insurer and check the small print for clauses that might exclude those items that are the most valuable. "what if" items are irreplacable? Well that's tricky, but if it's data or sourcecode, you can keep copies offsite, have fake copies made of valuable jewelery and use the fakes etc.

Same with servers. "what if" my server goes offline for a few hours. "what if" my hard drive fails? "what if" my server goes offline forever? "what if" my server gets hacked? "what if" I collect credit card details and my database files get stolen? There are answers to all of these things and the risks can be reduced, but you have to ask the questions in the first place otherwise a system built with any technology may have an unacceptably high degree of risk.
    Last edited by phpa; 12-02-2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Real-time intrusion protection and error reporting for PHP sites ioncube24.com
    Software protection for website owners and PHP developers ionCube PHP Encoder

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto
    You can compare php with asp.net since they are both application server layer technologies. So I would say that is very accurate.
    Did you even understand what you typed?

Even though ASP.NET takes its name from Microsoft's old web development technology, ASP, the two differ significantly. Microsoft has completely rebuilt ASP.NET, based on the Common Language Runtime (CLR) shared by all Microsoft .NET applications. Programmers can write ASP.NET code using any of the different programming languages supported by the .NET Framework, usually C#, Visual Basic.NET, or JScript .NET, but also including open-source languages such as Perl and Python. ASP.NET has performance benefits over other script-based technologies because the server-side code is compiled to one or a few DLL files on a web server.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET
    How's my programming? Call 1-800-DEV-NULL

Quote Originally Posted by phpa
    With security you really have to ask yourself "what if" all the time, or at least until you reach a comfort zone where a breach becomes not a problem. Most of us will put locks on our houses as that stops easy theft. But we have to ask "what if" we still get burgled? To minimise the damage if the locks get broken we take out insurance. But "what if" the insurance doesn't cover us? To mimise that risk you would use a well known insurer and check the small print for clauses that might exclude those items that are the most valuable. "what if" items are irreplacable? Well that's tricky, but if it's data or sourcecode, you can keep copies offsite, have fake copies made of valuable jewelery and use the fakes etc.
    Not to start a separate debate, because I do agree to an extent, but if someone wants what you have bad enough, all the security in the world won't do you much good. You could put 20 locks on your door and have a vicious guard dog... however, "WHAT IF" someone drives their cargo van through the front of your house with a box full of steaks? LOL. I'm sure it's happened somewhere at sometime and I wonder what the equivalent of that would be concerning protecting source code and passwords? Maybe someone gaining physical access to the server and walking away with it? Just something to think about I guess.

Security is in place to provide the following:

1. Deterrence
    2. Audit
    3. Recovery

It does not provide "protection". Hell, even one of the earliest security device ever made (the lock) is not 'pick proof' -- they are rated on 'pick resistance'; basically, how long it can resist being picked by a skilled thief.

"What if" scenarios are not really in the realm of security; if you ask anyone they can come up with a few more "what ifs" for your application, and this quickly gets out of hand.

For any application; developed in any language you must start off with the three points I mentioned above in mind, and relate them to your application. In addition -- think of the following questions:

1. What is the value of the data?

2. What is the risk associated with the data?

3. What is the acceptable risk for this application?

Note: These questions are not to be decided by the programmer, the network admin or the database admin. These are all answered by the data owners. You as programmers must ASK these questions of the data owners.

Once you get the answers to these questions above, then you will be better prepared to program the security in your application. So, if the risk is minimal, you don't need an encrypted database; however, if the risk is high -- maybe you want to think about not outsourcing your hosting and getting a dedicated server in house that you can monitor and control.

If you start thinking in a bit more abstract way, as I have exampled above; then the decision on language/platform doesn't become as important -- because no matter which platform you go with; you will know exactly what needs securing and to what degree, then you can use the tools provided to you for your chosen platform to provide those controls.

Quote Originally Posted by Rman2003
    Not to start a separate debate, because I do agree to an extent, but if someone wants what you have bad enough, all the security in the world won't do you much good. You could put 20 locks on your door and have a vicious guard dog... however, "WHAT IF" someone drives their cargo van through the front of your house with a box full of steaks?
    LOL, and this is exactly my point. You want the security otherwise it's a sure thing that you're going to be constantly suffering the results of not having any because people will take advantage of the lack of it, but you may still need to face the reality that someone could still drive through the front of the house, come down the chimney, go through the sewer system and come up through the floor, break into the less secure neighbours next door who are away on holiday and smash through the wall into your property if the building have a party wall etc. However, by covering yourself enough, annoying though it would be, with enough precautions the knock on effects could be minimised.

For example, to try and minimise risks to our crucial data becoming damaged we replicate databases to servers on different networks from different providers, take full database snapshots every 15 minutes and archive those for several days, and keep full database snapshots daily for months. The aim being to cover us if hardware fails, and to allow us to get back to a good state with minimal and most likely no loss of data quickly if a faulty SQL statement damages the database. And over a few years, these precautions have paid off on several occasions, both from damaged data and hardware failure.

After the first of several times that the Host Europe data centre in London, now pipex, lost power and there was no working backup power, we quickly learnt that things that should never happen most likely will.
    Real-time intrusion protection and error reporting for PHP sites ioncube24.com
    Software protection for website owners and PHP developers ionCube PHP Encoder

Quote Originally Posted by null
    Did you even understand what you typed?
    Sorry meant asp not asp.net

Didn't even notice I typed asp.net in my response

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan
    Even if you encrypt the passwords in a file, wouldn't your method of decryption be in the source code.

what you said is right, but the concept is applied to all web programming scripts

Quote Originally Posted by MrMan
    Even if you encrypt the passwords in a file, wouldn't your method of decryption be in the source code.
    I haven't read through the entire post, but for better security, you shouldn't use two-way encryption of the passwords. Instead, you can use a one-way encyrption and store the encrypted results.

Example:

iLovePron --> Two-way Encryption --> (*@HR(!@*HJKASF --> Plaintext Stored in DB --> Server unencrypts and checks iLovePron with user submitted ILovePron

iHateJebus --> One-way Encryption --> UH@UHG!@G!GH((ASD --> Encyrpted Stored in DB --> Server compares DB password with re-encrypted sumbitted data.

Exitof99, even with two way encryption, you never store plain text in the DB. I don't know where you got that idea.

Two way encryption is like this:

Plain Text -> Encrypt -> Cryptext -> Decrypt -> Plain text
    What is is stored in the database is the Cryptext.

What you have described as 'one way encryption' is more like a hashing algorithm, which is thus:

Plain Text -> Algorithm -> Hash

Hash is stored in the database, then, to verify.

Plain Text -> Algorithm -> Hash. If this Hash matches that of the database, user is authenticated.

The key difference is, with the 'one way' (or hash) you cannot easily derive the plain text from the cryptext (or hash in this case).

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345