Load Test / Stress Test

Can some one tell me , is there any free software to do a load test or stress test on a website.

nsyed4,

Your best bet would be to have a developer create a custom solution.
    Otherwise you could always offer some incentive for your clients to come to your site at a certain time -- essentially stress testing it.

Always best to be prepared for the worst though and depending on the size of your project it might be best to have a developer standing by / monitoring the test.

http://www.paessler.com/webstress

Is paid, but they have a fully functional Trial Version

I suggest you to contact to your host before run this, because I don't think that his going to be happy
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by nsyed4
    Can some one tell me , is there any free software to do a load test or stress test on a website.
    Just make sure you do not run it against a server you do not own (ie, one you have a shared hosting account on) as you will without a doubt get yourself into trouble with the host.

I don't think so. They will give me an error once i exceed the max. cpu usage.

Your best bet would be to configure it on a home server and stress test it locally.
    That way you'll essentially be working with the 'optimum' conditions in the first place.

e.g. high rate of transfer as it's via local network.

Hi!
    There are several frameworks available..but I'll warn you..not for the un-geek.
    Much assembly required. However...Mercury has a framework...and they did at once give free trials..let me see...ugh..HP now owns them.

http://www.mercury.com/

http://www.webmetrics.com/

is another as well. I am taking a look at Funkload for my in-house solution.

http://freshmeat.net/redir/funkload/...load.nuxeo.org

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer

Yes you will get an error, then it's likely to be followed up by a notice telling you that your account is suspended for using all available CPU and affecting other sites. Tell the host that you deliberately launched a DOS attack against their server and I'm willing to bet you will never be allowed on their network again.

If this was a VPS server or dedicated server that you controlled I would say go for it.

In a shared hosting environment though you will cause the entire server to go into a high load zone which will cause slow or no page loads for everyone on the server.

This is not a good idea at all and I think i agree with some of the others all you will do is get your account suspended.

You could ask to do it and maybe the admin knows when the server is slow enough to run it like in the middle of the night fora few minutes but then the test would not be valid anyways. I doubt they would even let you run it.

You can always ask though.