Question Importance of datacenter location?

I am new to webhosting. I own and manage quite a bit of sites, and for the past 2 years I have been taking business to hosts. I am tired of not having as much control over my sites and I want to cut expenses, with the hopes of turning some additional profit. I do not currently know much of anything on linux. I have plans to purchase a cheap linux box soon so that I can learn. Given this, I am thinking that a reseller account will give me some taste of learning to manage domains and whatnot. This is as much of a business venture as it is a learning experience.

I am hearing that it is good to find a datacenter close to your core location of visitors. This would make perfect sense, I understand, but how important is it. I have heard pretty good things about angel networkz, and their prices are unbeatable for what you get. But I am not in Europe and I hear the backbone from Europe to North America is terrible.

Can I get some recomendations on what you all think that I should do. Is there another solution, other than a reseller that would be good? I am looking for a good price and fair tech support. I want to get around 5GB of space and 100-200GB Tx/Monthly. Does anyone know of any good deals?

I appreciate all of the advise that I have read from the many members here already, on other threads. I also, thank any advise you may have to offer on this matter.

Cheers,
    Jacob Thomason

BTW, I am located right near GNAX in Atlanta, GA. It is just that their reseller packages are a bit high.
    Last edited by oojacoboo; 06-19-2004 at 01:01 AM.

Location for the most part doesnt matter ( the server speed is the reason for having it close to your core customers but for the most part wont be a very big differance) but if your hosting primarily american websites I would stick to an american based datacenter as the sites will be noticably slower from a over seas box.

As for a host to get a reseller account from use the host quote function to find hosting deals as a host may not be able to post in the forums any offers.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Lee
    DSL WebHosting Solutions
    Fast Affordable WebHosting Solutions
    24/7/365 Support

So I should probably try and stay in NA. What are some things that I need to be paying close attention to when picking a reseller account? I am looking and I know I need at least 2 ips. Would I need more? Why? Do all reseller accounts get their own custom DNS? Can you get these somewhere else, and connect it to your ips? How does this work? Has anyone heard of serverplace.net?

Well, it matters and then doesn't matter. These days it doesn't matter that much, but there are still situations where it does. Obviously, you'd want a good network backbone on good connections to your target audience. As Lee mentioned above, a connection from Europe might be slightly slower than a connection from inside the states.

However, if your target audience is here in America, you're open to several options. There are many good dcs with good times all over the US. You have The Planet, NAC, EV1 and many more.

I do not currently know much of anything on linux. I have plans to purchase a cheap linux box soon so that I can learn. Given this, I am thinking that a reseller account will give me some taste of learning to manage domains and whatnot. This is as much of a business venture as it is a learning experience.
    I'm glad to see you going about it the right way. I'd suggest just getting your own cheap tower and installing Linux instead of wasting the money on a dedicated box.

A reseller account will give you the basic idea of a control panel and as to how most issues will work. It's a good idea to know the control panel(s) that you use very well. However, a reseller environment is not as good as teaching you much about how to run a server - and this is where the linux box comes in handy.

I hope some of what I've laid out answers your questions. You're on the right path already - you've found a great place to learn as well.

What are some things that I need to be paying close attention to when picking a reseller account?
    The provider first off. You need to make sure you're on a solid provider that will be there when you need them but also you shouldn't be needing them too much. Good tech support is wonderful, but hopefully you don't have to use it too much.

Keep an eye on prices of your potential company. If it looks too good to be true, then it probably is. I often advise people to stay in a range of $0.75+/GB. Keep in mind that you can start out with a smaller plan and grow as you need it to cut down on costs.

I am looking and I know I need at least 2 ips. Would I need more? Why? Do all reseller accounts get their own custom DNS?

Can you get these somewhere else, and connect it to your ips? How does this work?
    You shouldn't really need anymore IPs at least for the time being. There are situations where you made need them with a good reason, but we'll touch on that later.

Typically resellers get custom DNS, but check with your host to make sure. Your provider will inform you of the setup of your nameservers, but it will involve registering them through your domain provider.

Thanks for all of the great information. I am very dedicated to making sure that I get this going and progress quickly. So, I am getting a general consenus that the location of a datacenter is not extremely important, but it can make a difference. Am I going to be upset, if I decide to go with angel net? Their prices are very good for what I am looking for, and I have heard that their support is pretty good as well. Most all people here agree that you should only go with a monthly contract, I agree. However, Angel Net offers a really good deal for a year. Would I be going completely wrong by taking this route. Their is a significant savings here. If they are pretty solid, then it shouldn't be a bad purchase from a business standpoint at least. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jacob

Honestly, I advise anyone I talk to (even potential clients) to avoid going in yearly. I know that it's appetizing, but no matter how solid a company is things can happen and you may end up losing that money.

I agree. We strongly discourage our customers from paying in advance, it keeps our cash flow constant.
    AND the one time I paid for a year to get the "great discount" from a host they went out of business a month later with my money in their pocket.