Basic Beginner Question

I've just started working with a small company that has a few issues that I'm trying to research which led me to this site. Hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight on which direction I may want to look in. Here's our situation.

We have a large information only website and soon to launch webstore. We also develop websites for our client base (4-5 page information only sites). We have one shared hosting account for our own website (with good service) and a low-cost hosting account for our client base websites (with exceptionally poor service). One of our contractors suggested we look at a dedicated server for our own site since it's getting quite large.

My questions are after some research:

1. Using a "fully managed" dedicated server - and given the right technical specs - should we be able create a model to host our website and our client websites on the same box? Seems logical to me, but I'm sure there are some deeper aspects that I haven't considered.

2. It's also been suggested that we look at a hosting reseller account for our client websites - while managing the dedicated server for our site - but this seems like more administration. Maybe it isn't?

3. We obviously want to get the best value for our dollar, but also want to be smart in how we develop our model so that six months down the road we're still in pretty good shape. Are there options that we should consider?

1 - You could easily host your clients on the same server as your site. It does depend on how heavy your site is on the load, but if you get a good enough server it should be no problem

2. A reseller for your clients would be pointless if you have your own dedicated server being managed. Otherwise its an easy option and means that you dont manage the server the company that sells you the reseller does

3. I would consider getting a dedicated server, that is good enough for your site maybe a p4 and that will have enough to host your clients as well. Instead of going "straight" managed with the data center get a server from servermatrix.com or theplanet.com and then hire a managment company to manage the server for you. That should be cheaper than getting it directly from the Data Center.
    Seeksadmin.com Owner: Providing Security, Administration and Optimization since 2001

Now Offering Windows Serivces.

Getting a Server hired will add a lot more prices and botheration , if you really does have certain websites like 100 websites with static and 4/5 pages information only. You can easily hire a reseller account for such websites. and an other individual reseller account for your big website. Its the easiect and effecient way to go.

I agree, a reseller account is the best if you do not have much server knowledge. I would also recommend going with Linux for your hosting unless you're using ASP.

However, if you are looking for a great server with management I would highly recommend The Planet. They have a very good network with outstanding technical support / management plans.

The main option I would consider is the fact that you get what you pay for. Be very careful in choosing a company / solution and try not to base the decision on the price.

I hope this helps
    TheDedicatedReview.com
    ben@thededicatedreview.com
    Dedicated Server Reviews and Specials.

i would not go with a reseller account. What i would recommend is a dedicated server with many dedicated IP and automated web hosting software. this will allow you to host your sites and develop websites and have customers view them through a dedicated IP address. -- few companies do this some are as follows:

hostopia.com
    alabanza.com
    vario.com
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

Smile recommendation

i would not go with a reseller account. What i would recommend is a dedicated
    server with many dedicated IP and automated web hosting software. this will allow you to host your sites and develop websites and have customers view them through a dedicated IP address.

Yes, I would also recommend the same thing like The_Dominator. You have different need for now. Perhaps you would rather opt for a hosting plan with a dedicated IP address, and your account enable you to host many domain names at together. Some features of visitor statistics and site tool creation would be helpful in the long run, IMHO. Because you can track down your visitors and see which ones that receive the most hits.

Well, I guess that would be my two cents for now.
    Cheer always,

There shouldn't be a big problem with hosting your site on the same box as your clients, but it would come in handy if they were on different boxes. If your server went down and you have an online livehelp your clients wouldn't be able to access that because both sites would be down.
    TCM Hosting Network
    http://www.tcmhosting.net

As ihostfried said about the server going down, another thing I would recommend is to put your own site on a dedicated IP.
    Nicholas Hubbard

Nobody can really make this decision for you easily. We really need a bit more information.

How many clients websites do you host?
    1. If you don't host that many sites, then a reseller account would be great for you, since there is no hassle of server administration, and you don't have the huge cost of managed server.

2. If you have too many sites for a reseller account (probabally 75+), then a dedicated server is probabally better for you. However, you'll need to get it managed if you don't know how to use it. You can get a control panel on your server, and you will be able to easily add sites to your server.

3. The costs invovled of having two servers, one for your site, and one for your clients seems a little strange to me. Yes, there is the small issue of uptime, but personally, i wouldn't consider that. If you clients are personal, then can phone you anyway. I wouldn't get two servers for the sole reason of uptime. I would however consider a backup solution.
    Andrew Thomas

I have to agree with thomas7 there, if you dont have 75+ websites its pretty pointless buying a dedicated server unless you know what your doing. It would be much more cost effective to simply purcahse a good reseller account from a good solid webhosting company.

I would suggest a reseller account to start out for best value and ease of use. It is less administration than a dedicated server and keep in mind that a 'fully managed' dedicated server is probably not as fully managed as you might beleive it to be. (have the place you are thinking about signing up with define fully managed and what is and is not included in that) A reseller account, on the other hand, should be.

this what i would do....

Quote Originally Posted by bww71
    I've just started working with a small company that has a few issues that I'm trying to research which led me to this site. Hopefully someone will be able to provide some insight on which direction I may want to look in. Here's our situation.

We have a large information only website and soon to launch webstore. We also develop websites for our client base (4-5 page information only sites). We have one shared hosting account for our own website (with good service) and a low-cost hosting account for our client base websites (with exceptionally poor service). One of our contractors suggested we look at a dedicated server for our own site since it's getting quite large.

My questions are after some research:

1. Using a "fully managed" dedicated server - and given the right technical specs - should we be able create a model to host our website and our client websites on the same box? Seems logical to me, but I'm sure there are some deeper aspects that I haven't considered.

2. It's also been suggested that we look at a hosting reseller account for our client websites - while managing the dedicated server for our site - but this seems like more administration. Maybe it isn't?

3. We obviously want to get the best value for our dollar, but also want to be smart in how we develop our model so that six months down the road we're still in pretty good shape. Are there options that we should consider?
    Unless you have over 80+++ sites, don't worry about a second server. Importnat is to choose the right server management company (check easyservermanagement.com , we use them for 3 years) and get one server (P4) at any dedicated server provider (check ev1.com etc).
    This sill ensure your server will be up 99% or better and if it goes down it will be only seconds/minutes with easyservermanagement to have it back up. They have server monitoring and automatically act if something happens. So save the money for the second server, rather add one later if you need more disk space.
    have a nice day
    DNbulk

Ideally have your own websites on a dedicated server and your clients website on a separate dedicated server at another location.

This way , when clinet server has problem, you are still contactable.

Quote Originally Posted by efarmer
    Ideally have your own websites on a dedicated server and your clients website on a separate dedicated server at another location.

This way , when clinet server has problem, you are still contactable.
    That's why the telephone was invented.

Quote Originally Posted by tical
    That's why the telephone was invented.
    If your clients are all local then ok but when expect your international clients to call you.............good luck.