SSL Without Dedicated IP?

Hello,

Whiles looking around one of my regular blogs (bobcares blog) I stumbled upon this: http://bobcares.com/blog/?p=1012

It appears you can run an SSL for each site with needing a dedicated IP for each domain

What do you think?
    Last edited by Server Management; 11-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    Hello,

Whiles looking around one of my regular blogs (bobcares blog) I stumbled upon this: http://bobcares.com/blog/?p=1012

It appears you can run an SSL for each site with needing a dedicated IP for each domain

What do you think?
    Cpanel is yet to implement this feature and developers are already working on it.
    Only issue I see is users who run older browsers since they don't support this functionality.

Yes... it'll be a lot easier when cPanel implement it.

As I understood this, the issue was always browser implementation. Just reading that article on bobcares, I thought to myself "actually, it's only very old browsers that have a problem with this, so it should be basically OK."

But then click through to the Wikipedia article bobcares links to. I spotted two big problems. 1. It's not supported at all on WinXP with IE. Vista never really took off, but Windows 7 is only just beginning to overtake XP as the Windows OS of choice. We're far from the point where we can say XP users don't matter. 2. These days mobile browser matter a big deal: iOS, Opera Mini / Mobile, etc. all need to support this, and whilst many mobile browsers do it's far from clear that the support is yet wide enough.

Give it 18 months to 2 years, this could be a serious prospect.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Considering the shortage/restrictions of IP addresses it can only be a good thing, if it becomes widely supported.

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    Only issue I see is users who run older browsers since they don't support this functionality.
    Its about time people dropped their "stone age" browsers and got into the real technology of today, Newer browsers can do much much more these days their is really no need to be running an old browser as such for 99.5% of the time

already running most of my personal sites like this, have been for a very long time.

i don't use a control panel though. don't know how cpanel supports it or not

Thanks for the link. Maybe certain industries/companies are dragging their feet on this becuase they will lose a ton of income. Just a thought.
    Energized Web Hosting
    VPS Hosting | Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Domain Names

If cPanel is releasing a an updates which support this, then it will be something nice!
    At least, we do not need to tell customers to buy a dedicated IP when they want to install a verified cert.

Its about time people dropped their "stone age" browsers and got into the real technology of today, Newer browsers can do much much more these days their is really no need to be running an old browser as such for 99.5% of the time
    Agreed...not just because the browsers can do more but also the additional security/bug fixes that have taken place since IE6

Quote Originally Posted by CS Squad View Post
    If cPanel is releasing a an updates which support this, then it will be something nice!
    At least, we do not need to tell customers to buy a dedicated IP when they want to install a verified cert.
    No, you'll just need to explain to them why they cannot access the site using SSL on their Windows XP computer with IE... Beyond that - you should be golden .
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Agreed...not just because the browsers can do more but also the additional security/bug fixes that have taken place since IE6
    No, not agreed See my post above, and what Mike's just written. The issue isn't people using IE6. The issue is people using any version of IE on Win XP. Until Win XP is End of Life, the problems are bigger than just "update your browser".
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.

I have heard (but not tested to confirm) that FireFox on Windows XP has the same problem accessing SIN based shared IP SSL sites that IE on Windows XP has, but Chrome on Windows XP does not have the problem.

Has anybody tested SIN support in FireFox on Windows XP? Please share your experiences. Thanks.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    No, you'll just need to explain to them why they cannot access the site using SSL on their Windows XP computer with IE... Beyond that - you should be golden .
    Yup...

Give it acouple of years then hopefully the XP population you of died down some more, However with that being said am still running XP on this machine

If it aint broken why fix it

Yup...

Give it acouple of years then hopefully the XP population you of died down some more, However with that being said am still running XP on this machine

If it aint broken why fix it
    Fairly certain that Win XP is EOL, so you should upgrade to Win 7 for the sake of security reasons at least.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    Fairly certain that Win XP is EOL, so you should upgrade to Win 7 for the sake of security reasons at least.
    See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ucts/lifecycle.

Mainstream support ended April 2009 (no more general purpose fixes / improvements)

Extended support runs until April 8 2014. We've got 2 and a half years yet before MSFT stop issuing security patches for XP.

And as this graph shows, Windows 7 has only recently overtaken Windows XP as the OS you're most likely to find for a visitor to your website. It's far too early yet to disregard Win XP users - unless you mean to exclude 38.45% of your visitors.

Also: What happens with this kind of SSL if someone comes with a non-compliant browser. If the site code is trying to force SSL on a certain page but the browser is not sending the hostname to tell the server which certificate to send, then what?... status code 500? "bad request"? It'd be a brave business that tried to save a few dollars a year on a dedicated IP in this way.

See Below:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesOakley View Post
    See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ucts/lifecycle.

Mainstream support ended April 2009 (no more general purpose fixes / improvements)

Extended support runs until April 8 2014. We've got 2 and a half years yet before MSFT stop issuing security patches for XP.

And as this graph shows, Windows 7 has only recently overtaken Windows XP as the OS you're most likely to find for a visitor to your website. It's far too early yet to disregard Win XP users - unless you mean to exclude 38.45% of your visitors.

Also: What happens with this kind of SSL if someone comes with a non-compliant browser. If the site code is trying to force SSL on a certain page but the browser is not sending the hostname to tell the server which certificate to send, then what?... status code 500? "bad request"? It'd be a brave business that tried to save a few dollars a year on a dedicated IP in this way.
    I,d say that WinXP is the best OS that microsoft has ever released, Of course the likes of Win7 will overtake but Win7 is based off the flagship WinXP anyway.

After the lark with Vista why not base something off the flagship XP they should of done it with Vista to be honest unless it was some marketing hype gone wrong...

By the way the NT Kernal rocks the party boat with me

Not until 2014.

Also just because something is EOL by the manufacturer doesn't mean that everyone jumps on-board with the latest and greatest. Especially when businesses have to contend with compatibility of third party applications that they have no control over, plus training staff to use the new systems.

Most businesses I support have a 5 year time frame before they purchase new hardware. So Windows XP isn't being phased out for a considerable time frame (At least another 3-4 years)

Not until 2014.

Also just because something is EOL by the manufacturer doesn't mean that everyone jumps on-board with the latest and greatest. Especially when businesses have to contend with compatibility of third party applications that they have no control over, plus training staff to use the new systems.

Most businesses I support have a 5 year time frame before they purchase new hardware. So Windows XP isn't being phased out for a considerable time frame (At least another 3-4 years)
    Afew of my business friends have had me reskin their XP desktops so staff can get use to the layout but they make the final switch