Question Image manipulation on a rack ?

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Im a Linux / Rack newbie, so unsure of what software is installed by default.

I would like to be able to resize all images in a directory on my rack. Many images are around 300k, but I would like to resize them to take around 100k.

Is there an easy way to do this or do i need third party software on my rack ?

I have seen quite a few programs that use Imagemagic but from some other posts this doesnt seem to be a good solution.

Any ideas (hopefully constructive ones)?

Aloha
    not sure of the best way to do it on server when I optimize images I like to view each one to try to get it the best if I bulk it up I do it with fireworks all at one time
    (fireworks is a macromedia program )
    anyway hope that helps out some
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

Yeah, it would be much easier if you resized your images on your own PC (assuming you are running Windows).

Something similar to Macromedia Fireworks (which I also use) is GIMP (although I'm not sure it will fit your purposes).

There is very little skill in resizing the images on my own PC

The best program in my opinion for mass resizing images is actually thumbnailer by www.smalleranimals.com

The problem is in downloading over 3,000 images, thumbnailing them and then having to reupload them.

There are quite a few scripts out there that let you build entire thumbnail galleries, but none that resize images intelligently (that I have found so far).

Also not sure what libraries are on the rack in the first place that I can use to manioulate images.

Aloha

yikes 3000 images yeah that would be a bit of time
    you do not have em locally ????
    unless ya did some kind of JS thing that would only show a % but teh size would still be there

ya could use night time to reup and redown your images

sorry can not be of more help for the online script thing
    ya check out hotscripts under images or something ???

if ya had a win2k box ya could try this
    http://www.aspupload.com/aspjpeg.html
    do not think it will work with the raq asp though
    but check it out anyway
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

Originally posted by WebDork
    There is very little skill in resizing the images on my own PC

The best program in my opinion for mass resizing images is actually thumbnailer by www.smalleranimals.com

The problem is in downloading over 3,000 images, thumbnailing them and then having to reupload them.

There are quite a few scripts out there that let you build entire thumbnail galleries, but none that resize images intelligently (that I have found so far).

Also not sure what libraries are on the rack in the first place that I can use to manioulate images.
    Well, if these 3000 images are of any importance to you I would reccomend having a local copy of them on your own PC anyways.