CNSERVERS Review

CNSERVERS was a great colocation host for the time it lasted, and I have to give them some praise for that.

Network
    Although the uptime of the network was very good, the additional latency it added was very high. Nonetheless, it worked for our needs.
    8/10

Support
    CNSERVERS was very helpful. He recommended hardware for some of my colocations, and even got me discounts on the hardware. When I actually had legitimate issues with my services however, he wasn't there to help me, and did not offer his help at all. (I'll elaborate at the end of this post)
    6/10

Pricing
    Pricing is great for what you get.
    10/10

DDoS Protection
    It works great. It didn't mitigate any legitimate clients, and while the IP would be nullrouted if the attack exceeded 10gbit, that was all I was paying for anyway. At some times when I was actually being hit at large throughput like 30gbit however, CNSERVERS made no efforts to help me and went with a direct nullroute.
    8/10

I had a lot of issues with CNSERVERS however that led to me leaving them.

They do not have their policy anywhere. They will not give you a copy of their policy. It is nowhere on their website as their website is a default WHMCS install, and it is just overall the most painful thing to deal with. It is very hard to trust your hardware with a company like this.

Even with a DMCA counter-notification, they will allow your server to be taken down. I received a large amount of fake DMCA reports on some ports that used encrypted proprietary protocols made by our company. CNSERVERS immediately pulled those ports, and we were forced to move that portion of our operation for a few weeks to BlackLotus.

My company was recently acquired by another. Due to this, I was forced to cancel my colocations at CNSERVERS.

On the start of this week, April 7th, one of my colocations was scheduled to expire, and as such I was to submit a support ticket asking for it to be cancelled. Before this happened however, the exploit Heartbleed was released, and the CNSERVERS website was vulnerable.

I did not login to the website for fear that my account credentials could be obtained by a 3rd party due to the scope of the exploit, and waited until CNSERVERS would patch the exploit. Not only did CNSERVERS take a full 24 hours to patch the exploit, but they are still using a vulnerable SSL certificate, and had the audacity to blame the whole issue on me trying to charge a $150 late fee.

I tried to ask for a discount to $100 due to the circumstances, as I wanted to take responsibility for not notifying them of my cancellation sooner, and they revoked the late fee and told me I had to pay the full bill on a colocation which my company is not going to use. Otherwise, they will hold my hardware hostage.

Goodbye CNSERVERS. It was awesome while it lasted. I wish I could have left on a better note.
    Last edited by Coelho; 04-09-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Sorry to hear this.

We have done so much for you, even though you are not admitting.

This is your SECOND time try to cancel a colocation AFTER the invoice went overdue. We made an exception for you the first time, and had specifically told you to cancel BEFORE due date. Yet you did it again and not willing to pay the late fee.

There is simply no excuse for late cancellation the SECOND time as clients can submit cancel request at anytime before due date. Even if you can't access our website for whatever reason, you can always send emails, which you had done in the past.

So good luck with your new provider.
    CNSERVERS.COM - Los Angeles, San Jose, Portland, Seattle, HongKong
    AS40065 | In-House DDoS protection | BGP Network with 6T+ capacity
    Zayo/HE/PCCW/Cogent/Telia/GTT/NTT/TATA/China Telecom/CN2/China Unicom/China Mobile
    Colocation / DDOS Protection / High Bandwidth Server

So your due date was April 7th, the day the Heartbleed exploit was announced so you couldn't put in a cancellation request on the 7th... what happened on the 6th, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, etc... that prevented you from putting in a cancellation request? Why didn't you e-mail them to tell them why you didn't feel safe logging into the client area to submit a cancellation request?

Last but not least... http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...6&postcount=47
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

@CNSERVERS

I attempted to be as honest as could be in this post. I do see you as a great host, but when it comes to the important things like this it is very hard to work with you.

I would like it if you do not projct yourself as a saint, because you did indeed charge me a fee the first time which I did pay. I agree there was no excuse for the second time, which is why I felt responsible and agreed to pay a fee, but I am not going to pay for a month of colocation on a server that is not going to be used.

My company has been acquired. I am not seeking a new provider. I was simply trying to get my colocations off of your service and in the hands of the new owners.

@ZKuJoe

I felt responsible for not cancelling with him beforehand, which I explained in my post, but I do not feel the need to pay that sum for a day of latency, which is why I tried to compromise and fell on deaf ears. He does not lose any money from a day of my latency. He is simply following a policy (a policy which doesn't exist anywhere on his website) that allows him to make more profit off of me. I intended on personally using CNSERVERS after this, but of course after what happened I can't.

It is excellent to see that CNSERVERS was trying to solve this exploit as soon as possible. It would have been more sensible, however, for him to completely turn off his website while he was solving it, like many others did. Downtime is better than risking the security of your customers, especially in server hosting & colocation.

Apologies for not quoting. My account is too new.
    Last edited by Coelho; 04-09-2014 at 03:19 AM.

Robert,

When you refused to pay the 30% late fee, we have no choice but to leave you with your original invoice.
    IMO 30% late fee is very reasonable when you are cancelling a colocation with large bandwidth commit late.
    Zayo/HE/PCCW/Cogent/Telia/GTT/NTT/TATA/China Telecom/CN2/China Unicom/China Mobile

Quote Originally Posted by CNSERVERS View Post
    Robert,

When you refused to pay the 30% late fee, we have no choice but to leave you with your original invoice.
    IMO 30% late fee is very reasonable when you are cancelling a colocation with large bandwidth commit late.
    I'm going to side with OP on this one , the commit expense doesn't really add up as either you are already paying it via a long term contract, or you simply pay the overage the month they use it (which apparently they didn't)

Edit: also there are 2 sides to this, while they did cancel on the day it was due, apparently there was no contract ,tos, aup, or anything stating that there was a late fee. Both partys are at fault in some way.
    Last edited by copress; 04-09-2014 at 03:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 8gigsofram View Post
    I'm going to side with OP on this one , the commit expense doesn't really add up as either you are already paying it via a long term contract, or you simply pay the overage the month they use it (which apparently they didn't)
    Erik, did you fail to mention that you are an associate with Robert?

Or was it you that acquired his company?

Erik, did you fail to mention that you are an associate with Robert?

Or was it you that acquired his company?

Did ZKuJoe mention that he is affiliated with your company?

I am not affiliated currently, although i was in the process of acquiring it when this mess popped up. It doesn't really change what i said in the previous post.

Can we stay on topic? (I'm also curious to why you worked so hard on researching my personal info, none of that information was published on my wht profile)

Either way its best that you 2 probably solve this privately before this thread degrades even more.

Quote Originally Posted by 8gigsofram View Post
    Did ZKuJoe mention that he is affiliated with your company?

I am not affiliated currently, although i was in the process of acquiring it when this mess popped up. It doesn't really change what i said in the previous post.

Can we stay on topic? (I'm also curious to why you worked so hard on researching my personal info, none of that information was published on my wht profile)

Either way its best that you 2 probably solve this privately before this thread degrades even more.
    The world is not big, even smaller in minecraft. Don't you agree?
    It's easy to recognize you despite one gig ram less.

The world is not big, even smaller in minecraft. Don't you agree?
    It's easy to recognize you despite one gig ram less.
    Isn't the world pretty much infinite in minecraft?

Although I find the last two posts pretty

@CNSERVERS

I tried a more than reasonable compromise that would not cost you any money, but you declined it. What you said would be much more sensible if you actually lost money due to my extra commit, but you didn't. This is one day late.

I also asked for the machine's commit to be downgraded towards the next month. You declined that too saying it was against policy (although I have never heard that before).

How am I to know this if you don't list your policies?

How am I affiliated with CNServers aside from being a client of theirs? In that sense the OP is just as equally affiliated with them.
    -Joe @ Secure Dragon LLC.
    + OpenVZ Powered by Wyvern | KVM | cPanel Hosting | Backup VPSs | LowEndBoxes | DDOS Protection
    + Florida | Colorado | Illinois | California | Oregon | Georgia | New Jersey | Arizona | Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Coelho View Post
    Although I find the last two posts pretty

@CNSERVERS

I tried a more than reasonable compromise that would not cost you any money, but you declined it. What you said would be much more sensible if you actually lost money due to my extra commit, but you didn't. This is one day late.

I also asked for the machine's commit to be downgraded towards the next month. You declined that too saying it was against policy (although I have never heard that before).

How am I to know this if you don't list your policies?
    We don't allow downgrade bandwidth commit for the current billing period. You can of course do it next month on your next billing period, but that's not what you want.

@CNSERVERS

You fail to reply to my points stating your lack of policies. I see policies nowhere on your website, and I did not receive them when I ordered the colocations.

I would also like to note that it was special circumstances that led to the server being cancelled a day late, I still agreed to pay for them (albeit not the full amount you asked, but more than generous enough), and it does not cost you anything to cancel or downgrade it.
    Last edited by Coelho; 04-09-2014 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coelho View Post
    @CNSERVERS

You fail to reply to my points stating your lack of policies. I see policies nowhere on your website, and I did not receive them when I ordered the colocations.

I would also like to note that it was special circumstances that led to the server being cancelled a day late, I still agreed to pay for them (albeit not the full amount you asked, but more than generous enough), and it does not cost you anything to cancel or downgrade it.
    "it does not cost you anything to cancel or downgrade it." Since your service is already started, you didn't cancel or downgrade before the billing begins, so it DOES cost us, everyone in the colo business would know this. Especially consider of your large bandwidth commitment.

However I'm not going into details. We have decided to absorb some of the loss incurred by your late cancellation.
    I hope this makes you happy.

Really it doesn't matter whether or not it costs CNServers more or less. It is standard to charge a cancellation fee and so you should be paying it.

If you were really scared about your password/creds getting out, you could have emailed like CNservers mentioned so it's not really an excuse.

I've used CNservers in the past and they've been nothing but great. They setup and maintained our GRE tunnel server. All ticket responses were within a few minutes (night or day) and they always went the extra mile to help out with our issues. We will definitely be going back to them soon.

We've had an entirely different experience with CNSERVERS.

We use CNSERVERS for IP transit and they have been fantastic for us. Their support response time is phenomenal. On high priority issues we get replies within minutes without fail.

They routinely go above and beyond the call of duty to provide good service. For example, in the past we've experienced network congestion that existed off of their network (essentially a Comcast problem). We opened a ticket and minutes later CNSERVERS re-routed our traffic to avoid the Comcast congestion.

Regarding their billing practices, they have always been flexible and reasonable.

CNSERVERS truly is a company that has your back.

Clearly, Coelho needed to cancel before the invoice came due. Not logging into the billing system due to Heartbleed is a pathetic excuse. Anyone who reads this thread can see that.
    ▄▀▄ Brian Harrison, Lead Engineer - Reprise Hosting (AS62838)
    ▄▀▄ Deals on cheap dedicated server hosting. IPMI included! Unmetered bandwidth.
    ▄▀▄ Website migration, 24/7/365 support, basic server setup, 15 day money back.
    ▄▀▄ Looking for DEALS on self-managed cheap VPS hosting? Visit VPSHostingDEAL.com

I apologize if my review may have come off wrongly, but I simply wanted to explain in all truthfulness my experiences with CNSERVERS. Whether the incident with CNSERVERS happened or not, I planned to make a review anyway seeing as our requirement for service of them had come to an end.

Although I had great experiences with CNSERVERS for quite some time, I made sure to make sure that every single point was valid.

If you receive fake DMCA, you will need to temporarily disable service or go to another host. I had no issue with this and didn't expect CNSERVERS to shield me from this, but I believe seeing as they were to protect my service, that they should have at least tried to help in some way. I felt it was required for me to make everyone aware of this.

It is, also, true that their policy is listed nowhere on their website. I would like for them to remedy this so I can personally use their services again in the future, because it is very hard for me to continue to deal with this. Due to this, I ran into the issue stated at the end of my post. I do believe I was wrong for not scheduling cancellation before the date, but it is the principle that it is hard to work with a company when they do not publish their policies.

On the good notes, CNSERVERS replies to your tickets very quickly and solves the issues nicely. For some things, they may have a day of latency, but they were not critical and I was fine with it.

I do note that the DDoS protection does work, but I was receiving DDoS attacks in far higher throughput than expected and CNSERVERS was not able to protect me from it. Of course, I didn't expect them to, but I felt it wasn't incorrect for me to note it.

I feel the rating on their support was incorrect. I would have given it a 10/10, but I believe I had mistaken that with their lack of policies (but that has nothing to do with their support), so I apologize for that and I'd like to correct it.

You're operating as business, not a consumer. This means it's your own responsibility to negotiate all terms and conditions prior to doing business. Failing to do so is just asking for trouble.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by xnpu View Post
    You're operating as business, not a consumer. This means it's your own responsibility to negotiate all terms and conditions prior to doing business. Failing to do so is just asking for trouble.
    I agree. However, it is confusing that CNSERVERS doesn't have a website, aside from the WHMCS portal. I couldn't find any information either about their policies besides the TOS which doesn't mention anything about service terms and cancellation procedures.

It would be helpful to current customers and prospects alike if CNSERVERS had some sort of information like that published

Quote Originally Posted by xnpu View Post

So you mean you can use a service for a day and decided to leave without paying? We are not requiring him to place a cancellation request 7 day or 3 days ahead. Is it so difficult to cancel just before it's due?
    While we can argue this cancellation policy all day long, keep in mind that it was not the first time the OP did a late cancellation, and we had specifically warned him about it NOT to do it again in the first time.

Robert,
    With your permission, I would be happy to post all conversion logs and ticket records in the public to prove that we had dealt with your DMCA and DDOS issues correctly, professionally and even gone steps beyond to help you out.

So you mean you can use a service for a day and decided to leave without paying? We are not requiring him to place a cancellation request 7 day or 3 days ahead. Is it so difficult to cancel just before it's due?
    While we can argue this cancellation policy all day long, keep in mind that it was not the first time the OP did a late cancellation, and we had specifically warned him about it NOT to do it again in the first time.

Robert,
    With your permission, I would be happy to post all conversion logs and ticket records in the public to prove that we had dealt with your DMCA and DDOS issues correctly, professionally and even gone steps beyond to help you out.
    In reference to using the server for a day, I'd like to say that I powered the server off as soon as the billing period ended. It was incorrect of me to not notify you of this cancellation sooner however.

You did deal with all my DDoS attacks properly and professionally as I expected, but I was receiving much larger attacks than you could work with, and although you might have protected me from them, I don't believe I was ever aware of it which is why I made the point that I did. I may have incorrectly stated this point in the OP.

The DMCA notices, from what I can remember, revolved around the fact that you had to block the ports and have the content removed from the webserver, even if I sent in a counter-notice. I know it is not standard practice for you (or any other company for that matter) to shield a customer against DMCA, but as you were my protection host I believe it was something to bring up.

I apologize, personally to you, if my points in the OP came off wrong or were confusing to another.

It would be preferable if my ticket records were not made public for various reasons, although I can note that the support at CNSERVERS went above and beyond for me on a regular basis (I noted this in the OP). I even noted in a previous post that the score was incorrect and was influenced by another matter. Thank you for respecting my decision on this.
    Last edited by Coelho; 04-10-2014 at 10:38 PM.

I own about 15 servers with Cnservers, so I personally find this hard to believe... CnServers goes way above and beyond my expectations and I can always rely on him. I'm not going to interfere with your matters on what happened... but if you need to pay a cancellation fee just pay it and leave. Not sure why your trying to air dirty laundry.. these are concerns you should be bringing up with him in private before just blasting it all over the forums... by my understanding you haven't conveyed any of this to him before & if you did he is willing to post the ticket logs here but for privacy reasons you don't want it published.. understandable,.. but your putting him in an awkward situation.. your talking bad about him but not letting him defend..
    TrentaHost INC. || Fully Managed DDoS Protected Services Globally (NA - EU - Asia)
    Reseller Hosting- Pure SSD | Litespeed | Imunify360 | CloudLinux | 24x7 Support | Mailchannels
    Linux & Windows DDoS Protected SSD VPS - cPanel / WHM | DDoS Protection | Let's Encrypt | Pure-SSD
    DDoS Protected Locations : Portland, OR (North America) | Amsterdam, NL (Europe) | Singapore (Asia)

I would like to thank our current and ex-customers for the kind words.
    We have now resolved the dispute with OP.

Robert, Thank for your past business. Good luck in the future.

Sorry for bumping this 2 month old thread;however, it does seem like what you did was attempt to avoid late fees, I'm almost positive @CNServers wouldn't have cancelled your service ASAP if you had asked to keep it till the month was over, and you could've sent them a email telling them the circumstance and telling them you wanted to cancel if you didn't feel that their website was safe.