Question Attendance Numbers

I notice the HostingCon website claims an expected 1500 attendees this year. I am wondering if anyone has info on past attendance for comparison purposes?
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

I recall past HostingCons being in the 1,000-1,500 range, can't say for sure what the final numbers were (and I'm not sure about last year). But if I'm correct, that would mean iNet is projecting the largest attendance yet!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Well I finally bit the bullet and registered so I'll be there. add 1 I guess.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Looking forward to seeing you all there. HostingCon is a blast!
    ActiveHost - Upstate New York Data Center Services: Powering the Active Business with ProActive Service
    Windows and Linux Cloud Hosting, VPS, Dynamic Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    In business since 1996. Privately owned multi-million dollar data center. 24x7 Support.
    www.activehost.com sales@activehost.com 1-518-372-2842

I guess the bigger question I have is, what does one really get out of going? It's kinda like hanging out here or advertising in a hosting related trade magazine. 99.9999% of the people doing that, or going are already in the industry. So if we're not networking with or attracting potential clients, what real benefit is there outside of getting together with like minded people in same industry and partying?
    Jeremy Kinsey (jer@mia.net) - 262-248-6759
    Dedicated Servers - Web Hosting - Colocation HostDrive.Com
    Since 1997

Well many of the attendees and visitors are there to sell products to those in the hosting industry. If you are a smaller webhost, you will probably be the target of salesmen much more than visa versa. However, as a webhost, you would get to see what your larger competitors are doing, be able to get up close and personal with certain companies you do business with or resell for, pick the brains of the largest successes in the industry, and yes, hangout, party, and win prizes. You'll find that it is much easier to get a great bargain on your domain reseller account after you get sloshed with your reseller company's top representative as an example. The smaller companies will be more of the "shoppers", but there is something there for anyone in the idustry IMO.
    H4Y Technologies LLC .. Since 2001!!
    "Smarter, Cheaper, Faster" - SMB, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated, Colo hosting done right.

ZERO PACKETLOSS, ZERO DOWNTIME Dedicated and Colo - USA: IA, CA, NC, OR, NV
    **http://h4y.us** **http://iwfhosting.net**
    Voice: (866)435-5642. *** askus at host4yourself d0t com

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    So if we're not networking with or attracting potential clients, what real benefit is there outside of getting together with like minded people in same industry and partying?
    You're talking like that is a bad thing... :-)
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

FYI, for reference:

HostingCon Attendance Numbers off the top of my head:

2005 - 625
    2006 - 1090
    2007 - 1200
    2008 - 1250

I don't have exact numbers after 2008 since we don't own the show anymore. However, I believe 2009 was around 1300 and this year the show broke 1600.

Hope that helps.
    George A. Roberts IV ~ President & CEO, Purity Networks

Powerful, easy to use antispam services

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    I guess the bigger question I have is, what does one really get out of going? It's kinda like hanging out here or advertising in a hosting related trade magazine. 99.9999% of the people doing that, or going are already in the industry. So if we're not networking with or attracting potential clients, what real benefit is there outside of getting together with like minded people in same industry and partying?
    Well, there was 24 hours worth of informational sessions spread over three days (you know, the actual conference part of the conference), all aimed at helping hosts make better business decisions, do smarter things with their money and win more clients. If any of those objectives sound useful, then you have a pretty darned good reason to show up

My understanding is that there were many very good sessions (some not as good, but you'll have that), and that the sessions made the conference quite worthwhile.

On top of that, you get to spend quality time with like-minded people, trading ideas, looking for partnership opportunities, learning about offers being made between HostingCon participants only, keeping a pulse on your colleagues and competitors.

And yes, you get to party your ass off. But yeah, outside of all that, not much benefit...
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by the_pm View Post
    Well, there was 24 hours worth of informational sessions spread over three days (you know, the actual conference part of the conference), all aimed at helping hosts make better business decisions, do smarter things with their money and win more clients. If any of those objectives sound useful, then you have a pretty darned good reason to show up

My understanding is that there were many very good sessions (some not as good, but you'll have that), and that the sessions made the conference quite worthwhile.

On top of that, you get to spend quality time with like-minded people, trading ideas, looking for partnership opportunities, learning about offers being made between HostingCon participants only, keeping a pulse on your colleagues and competitors.

And yes, you get to party your ass off. But yeah, outside of all that, not much benefit...
    And don't forget that hanging out with WHT mods makes you cool.
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Seemed quieter this year...
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

We had a lot more high quality visitors (eg. VP/CEO of companies that we do business with or will do business with in the future vs. scouts and sales reps).

Quote Originally Posted by WII-Aaron
    And don't forget that hanging out with WHT mods makes you cool.
    Well, yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    It tends to seem that way when you spend the better portion of the time "sleeping it off"

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Thats because hangovers prevented you from leaving your hotel room.
    Nick Nelson
    Sr. Director & GM, VAS
    Demand Media
    425.298.2282 nn@demandmedia.com