Is the paypal merchant account good? Any experiences here good or bad?

Do you use modern bill to do it or a link to their site? If you use modernbill do you tell your clients that you are using paypal? Does it deter them? I was thinking of using paypal link for payment until I got enough customers and funds to get modern bill.

Or are any of these better for what I'm trying to do? Do you know if modernbill is gonna have a batch charging function for paypal in the near future?

Authorize.net
    QuickCommerce.net
    eProcessingNetwork.net
    PlanetPayment
    Echo
    EFTSecure
    eWAY
    PSIgate
    CyberCash
    Pay Flow Pro
    Revecom

I would just start out using a merchant account. Paypal really complicates things in the long run.

as far as i know you would have to tell your clients you are using paypal, as they need a paypal account themselves to pay

If you use Pay Pal exclusively, you will turn business away.

It is a good second option. But as a primary source, it really show customers just how 'small' you are.
    Joe - HostingWave.Com / TXINSURANCE.COM
    http://www.hostingwave.com
    SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy.

I used to use paypal but moved to a real merchant account with authorize.net becuase paypal once froze my account for investigation as I was receiving too many payments.

Yes, PayPal is good as long as you use them for secondary option. In primary, you must use, some company like 2checkout.com or authorize.net for Credit card payments.

more clients like to pay using Credit cards

Shikha
    Dinsol.com Web Hosting Since Year 1999 Open Running Stable
    Social Media Optimization & Marketing Services with World Class Quality
    www.dinsol.com

Ok well then how much do they (other comapnies besides paypal) take out for having a merchant account? What is the best to go with cause if i start with one reseller account I'm not gonna be making much money then my first month. Which merchant account has the lowest fees per a charge and monthly fee?

it's also more time consuming to accept paypal payments.... with credit card merchant account + virtual terminal with batch support you should be able to save your valueable time and provide a better service to your clientele

I am using PayPal seeing as I started my business 2 days ago, I also accept bank transfers or checks so its not as bad as it seems, if I get enough money this month I'll get a merchant account with probably paysystems

Originally posted by tazd9t9
    as far as i know you would have to tell your clients you are using paypal, as they need a paypal account themselves to pay
    Well that is not really correct. You can use Paypal as your credit card processor, clients are not obligated to have a paypal account. It just works as a normal CC processor.

Also Paypal is useful when you do not have a bank account in the US.

No - as a merchant account it is not good. As a paypal account it is great - but you should not expect it to serve as your merchant account. Most people I know that accept paypal do so in addition to an actual merchant account.
    HostDirs.com
    The Directory of Web Hosting Directories

All of the prior comments are opinions YET correct. I use them as a secondary only.

You may want to check out this site and make your own decision - www.paypalsucks.com .

Bottom line is to have every payment option available to potential customers.

Originally posted by ZiCmaN
    All of the prior comments are opinions YET correct. I use them as a secondary only.

You may want to check out this site and make your own decision - www.paypalsucks.com .

Bottom line is to have every payment option available to potential customers.
    yes I have visited that site before, I also have 75 verified paypal transactions, but all those stories with paypal have happened when they were privatly owned. now they are owned by ebay and I expect their service to greatly improve and not continue to be like the situations described on that website.

Ummm, I think for the most part they will operate in the same manner if not even more strict. Usually, PP would give you a warning email and an opportunity to dispute it before they froze or removed your monies...NOW they remove/freeze then email you and you dispute it.

Just happened to me over a spamming client that I removed from 3 servers. It looked like it would cost me about $1800+ as my account went into the negative. At any rate I thought that I was screwed while trying to dispute it.

IN FACT - I found that if I type in the resolved complaint box - ITEM IS NOT TANGIBLE!!! Then they will see it and release the funds because not only does the seller protection policy not protect the seller for NON-SHIPPED GOODS, it is the same for the buyer. Case was closed and monies were replaced in my account.

As you already now there are many sides to every story...I would just use it until it becomes a problem. In most cases you will not have any problems.

Good Luck