22. You may not vote on this poll
  • R1Soft

14 63.64%
  • CPRemote

8 36.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* CPRemote or R1Soft?

Hay Mates
    I was using Rsync backup solution for my servers but that doesn't help me a lot. Thanks to Damian (cd/home) for helping allot regarding rsync and restoration.

Anyways, to the point. With which you can go for backup software? As far as i know, R1soft have user interface so, users can restore files through cpanel,s but for mysql, R1Soft is not handy to restore mysql backups.
    But
    CPRemote have the capability to restore full backups, files+mysql. CPRemote can restore complete backup from Rsync backup server.
    If anyone using CPremote please let me know,
    or
    with which should i go?

Sorry for my Bad English as English is not my Native Lang!
    ☆☆ RoyalNode Web Hosting☆☆ In Business Since 2018 (3 Years)
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable Managed SSD VPS and Managed Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost Hosting View Post
    Thanks to Damian (cd/home) for helping allot regarding rsync and restoration.
    Thanks for the kind words it means alot to me

with which should i go?
    Forget R1Soft its more hassle than its worth.

Although I use CPRemote I havent got round to testing the new version they have just released, I shall be getting all my installations updated this evening so I can have a good play with it however if its anything like the one I have installed at present then CPRemote is the better choice hands down but thats merely my opinion.

Why dont I like R1Soft?

Well, Ive used it in the past and of course deal with people who use it and its a total nightmere on elm street at the best of times, Sometimes backups simply dont run, they crash the servers or you can simply find restoring the data cannot be done or the remote disk safes become corrupt, Although some of the problems I did have at first have likely been resolve with the software but their is still alot of bugs and horrior storys around regarding R1Soft.

Simply put for the price they charge and the headaches it can give its not worth it save the money on paracetamol and head with CPRemote

P.S I best run and hide before the R1Soft fan boys come and shoot me down (Although theirs probley none left)
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-31-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Quote Originally Posted by cd/home View Post
    ...CPRemote is the better choice hands down but thats merely my opinion.

Why dont I like R1Soft?...
    Not here to shoot you down I am actually just curious why you feel CPRemote is the "better" choice? Is it simply because of the issues you've faced with R1Soft, or do you feel like CPRemote's feature-set is not only comprable but - in some way - better? If I am not mistaken, CPRemote doesn't really compare to R1Soft in terms of features/potential uses (besides the crux function of "backups").

Note: I have zero experience with CPRemote.
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

Thank you guys for your point of views.
    I have used R1Soft but never used cpremote.
    The feature of CPRmote feature of restoring files+database is attractive, so thats why it is worth using?
    ►►Los Angeles CA USA, Oregon Seattle USA, Canada, Amsterdam NL EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan Diaz View Post
    Not here to shoot you down I am actually just curious why you feel CPRemote is the "better" choice? Is it simply because of the issues you've faced with R1Soft, or do you feel like CPRemote's feature-set is not only comprable but - in some way - better? If I am not mistaken, CPRemote doesn't really compare to R1Soft in terms of features/potential uses (besides the crux function of "backups").

Note: I have zero experience with CPRemote.
    Rsync is a tried and tested method which has proven to stand up at the harshest of times on the other hand R1Soft hasnt

A backup solution is ment to work without needing to be baby sat, Yes I know of companys who dedicate a tech just for looking after the R1Soft implemention because it causes so many issues for them.

Take alook what Mike from MDD has to say about it: http://www.mikedvb.com/2011/01/30/r1...-poor-support/
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.

CPRemote is incremental, but not "continuous," right? How does CPRemote compare to R1Soft in terms of impact on server performance while backups are running?

Quote Originally Posted by JensVMs View Post
    CPRemote is incremental, but not "continuous," right? How does CPRemote compare to R1Soft in terms of impact on server performance while backups are running?
    CPRemote works uses Rsync and runs a cron job VERY simple but effective.

Since it uses Rsync it will only backup what has changed thus cutting backup windows down and using next to no resources...

You can even take Daily, Weekly & Monthly backup retentions, Its not designed to compete with R1Soft but rather offer a budget and effective solution to backing up cPanel based servers.
    Last edited by Server Management; 05-31-2012 at 07:45 PM.

On the flipside, cpremote tends to only fix issues they think are important unless you post on WHT:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1090098
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

This is worth a read and should answer your questions.

http://wiki.r1soft.com/display/TP/rsync+Backup
    James B
    WWW.EZEELOGIN.COM |Setup your Secure Linux SSH GatewayMEET PCI DSS & ISO 27001 Compliance|Manage & Administer Multiple Linux Servers Quickly & Securely.

Now i am confused after reading Dan,s Therad at WHT.
    ►►

Forget R1Soft its more hassle than its worth.

Why dont I like R1Soft?

Well, Ive used it in the past and of course deal with people who use it and its a total nightmere on elm street at the best of times, Sometimes backups simply dont run, they crash the servers or you can simply find restoring the data cannot be done or the remote disk safes become corrupt, Although some of the problems I did have at first have likely been resolve with the software but their is still alot of bugs and horrior storys around regarding R1Soft.

Simply put for the price they charge and the headaches it can give its not worth it save the money on paracetamol and head with CPRemote

P.S I best run and hide before the R1Soft fan boys come and shoot me down (Although theirs probley none left)

Sorry but I have to disagree with you about r1soft.

I am not an r1soft fanboy but it did help our clients backup their accounts without any problem. They were able to restore files smoothly without corruption.

We never experience any crash server as long as you configure the server properly. You should understand how r1soft do backup the server to avoid the problem.

CPRemote can't be compared to R1Soft. It is a different technology and only R1Soft has a different technology approach. It is not rsync and it is not ftp :-) .

And you should also check the version 4 :-)

I still recommend R1Soft and it is a real backup. No other backup that gives you security and stability for your data.

Quote Originally Posted by BarackObama View Post
    This is worth a read and should answer your questions.

http://wiki.r1soft.com/display/TP/rsync+Backup

Right to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree with you about r1soft.

I am not an r1soft fanboy but it did help our clients backup their accounts without any problem. They were able to restore files smoothly without corruption.

We never experience any crash server as long as you configure the server properly. You should understand how r1soft do backup the server to avoid the problem.

CPRemote can't be compared to R1Soft. It is a different technology and only R1Soft has a different technology approach. It is not rsync and it is not ftp :-) .

And you should also check the version 4 :-)

I still recommend R1Soft and it is a real backup. No other backup that gives you security and stability for your data.
    What about mysql Restoration?
    ►►

What about mysql Restoration?
    You can backup MySQL databases but it requires an additional addon. This is the advantage of cPremote, it will backup everything without the need for any addons.

Quote Originally Posted by [JSH]John View Post
    You can backup MySQL databases but it requires an additional addon. This is the advantage of cPremote, it will backup everything without the need for any addons.
    You can still backup mysql even without addon.

With MySQL addon, you will be able to restore table by table and can protect your database away from corruption during restoration.

Let's stop comparing cpremote with r1soft because it is not comparable at all.

Once you fully understand how R1Soft works, you will realize that you are miles away from any backup you are using. It's unique.

So, there is a reason why you are paying it expensively.

You can still backup mysql even without addon.

With MySQL addon, you will be able to restore table by table and can protect your database away from corruption during restoration.

Let's stop comparing cpremote with r1soft because it is not comparable at all.

Once you fully understand how R1Soft works, you will realize that you are miles away from any backup you are using. It's unique.

So, there is a reason why you are paying it expensively.
    I have a Question Sir!
    As, we can restore files from R1Soft files, how to restore mysql directly same like we can restore all files?
    ►►

I have a Question Sir!
    As, we can restore files from R1Soft files, how to restore mysql directly same like we can restore all files?
    Yes, it is the same when you restore files. Just leave the location as default when you restore the database.

If your database is critical, I recommend to get the addon.

CPRemote can't be compared to R1Soft.
    I know, However what works for you doesnt always work for everyone else.

Just read the horrior storys about R1Soft and the forever promise of "Next update" or "Update coming soon"

Also look at the licensing stunt they have just pulled and those who actually invested what I believe some large capital was shafted in the change aswell.

The price they charge and the headaches its worth and the forever promise of "Next release" its not worth 2cents in my opinion

Not good...

I know, However what works for you doesnt always work for everyone else.

Just read the horrior storys about R1Soft and the forever promise of "Next update" or "Update coming soon"

Also look at the licensing stunt they have just pulled and those who actually invested what I believe some large capital was shafted in the change aswell.

The price they charge and the headaches its worth and the forever promise of "Next release" its not worth 2cents in my opinion

Not good...

Maybe you should actually try and use it before you make such claims? CDP 4 is actually quite good.
    Furthermore, R1soft costs almost the same price as cpremote if you buy in a bulk level, and many vendors resell the licenses for nearly the same price as cpremote.

I really dislike cpremote because its a PUSH style backup. I have seen many people get compromised and then their backups deleted through their cpanel server.
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

I have a Question Sir!
    The problem with this is, if you have innodb databases, and you need to restore only one it can be difficult if you are not using innodb_per_file as all the databases will be sharing 1 table space. The mysql addon is only a couple more dollars if you lease it from a reseller, its a good investment.

Been Using R1soft for a few years and yes it can cause problems but I have never encountered anything major, I changed 3 months ago to cpremote mostly because I was renting R1soft space from my DC and it was getting damned expensive. Enter cpremote stage left: Yes it does what it says on the tin, no you cant easily restore files or directories its mostly all or nothing, it doesnt compress the data so be sure to have lots of space available, next problem I found was that "daily" isnt actually daily, its incremental yes but only retains the one daily backup so you cant go to a backup 3 days ago. Now the biggest headache for me was the weekly and Monthly retentions, logic would dictate that the Weekly backup would be the last daily but no its a total new backup, meaning the daily incremental backup runs then the weekly is run taking a full backup - same for Monthly, in essence you could have a daily, weekly and monthly backup all running on the same day.

Bit the bullet and put on my own dedicated R1soft server and purchased leased licences for the agents - R1soft CDP is free you only need pay for any agents you use so has worked out a lot cheaper for me and with a lot more control.
    Installation of the CDP is a breeze with a yum install - the agents were a little more troublesome, The only real problem I have is the R1soft wiki is all over the place and actually finding information is hard when you need it.
    As others have said there is no comparison between the two and for me CPremote did not do anything for me that couldn't already be done with the Cpanel backup feature anyway.

As for MySQL you have far more control over restores than you do with Cpremote, I am not entirely happy with R1soft but it is the best I have used for what it does.
    Nil illegitimi carborundum
    I'm getting old and don't do drugs. I get the same effect just standing up fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Maybe you should actually try and use it before you make such claims? CDP 4 is actually quite good.
    Furthermore, R1soft costs almost the same price as cpremote if you buy in a bulk level, and many vendors resell the licenses for nearly the same price as cpremote.

I really dislike cpremote because its a PUSH style backup. I have seen many people get compromised and then their backups deleted through their cpanel server.
    Ive used R1Soft and have clients who use it so I know exactly.

R1Soft still have the same attuide when dealing with them and its been confirmed more than once.

Like I said what works for me doesnt always work for others

Am hardly going to encourage someone to use something I personally think is crap that would be insane.

I merely give my opinion and its their choice what route they take...
    Last edited by Server Management; 06-01-2012 at 12:54 PM.

Ive used R1Soft and have clients who use it so I know exactly.

R1Soft still have the same attuide when dealing with them and its been confirmed more than once.

Like I said what works for me doesnt always work for others

Am hardly going to encourage someone to use something I personally think is crap that would be insane.

I merely give my opinion and its their choice what route they take...
    R1soft's attitude may be bad, but you have to be realistic. Their product is worth their weight in gold to me. For what its worth, I also own 200 licenses so maybe they just like me. Having had used pretty much every backup software, i'll be sticking with R1soft.

Well its good to know as a system admin you endorse a product that not 'secure'. If people use cpremote they are putting their backups at risk. If their server is compromised in any way at the root level (nothing is unhackable) then the attacker can just walk into their backup server and delete everything.

I make my customers aware of that fact, and most of them backup local and we pull the backups to another server if they are not using r1soft.
    Last edited by Steven; 06-01-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Their product is worth their weight in gold to me.
    How much does R1Soft weigh?
    Thanks,

Brendan Diaz
    Connect: linkedin.com/in/brendandiaz

I am still confused!
    after seeing this: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1158665

Confusion increased

The Only Thing i like about R1Soft is, you can save backups for last 10 Days, maybe i am wrong.
    I dont have direct experience of R1
    ►►

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast