New PayPal Service - Pay with your phone

It looks like PayPal are launching a new service to allow you to pay people on the move using your mobile phone via either SMS message or an automated voice recognition system..

With the amount of cell phone thefts, I can see this potentially open the flood gates for a lot of fraud...

For those that want to try out the service and have a PayPal account, go to this page https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ile/MobileSend

It's test pages leaked out by PayPal...

I see it as a great tool if used properly. It would be so much easier paying bills by text message etc. whenever you're at a place with no computer access...

It should be good for the webhosting industry.
    Almost anyone owns a mobile phone these days.
    OCEAN HOST
    www.ocean-host.com
    Get Online. Reach Worldwide.
    Check our uptime

I signed up. It's pretty slick.

You send an SMS to 729725 (PAYPAL) that says:
    "send 5.00 to name@example.com"

You can also check your balance, specify currency, send a note, send your address, etc.

They seem to have a handle on the fraud by always calling you back and asking for a PIN.

Link is here.

getting more solid
    but still working in limited countries

Very Nice

This is a very common system - we use it all the time to sell ringtones.

No issues with fraud that we've heard of yet.

Anyway, this PayPal system is nothing new - not sure what their fees are on it - but there are tons of providers out there that do this.

Ive just signed up

Most probley the same fees as they normal do, You pay for the call or txt etc

The only thing left for Paypal to do is to become a real Bank. I refuse to carry a balance in my paypal account until they are secured, insured and accountable to a regulatory body.

Quote Originally Posted by sightz
    The only thing left for Paypal to do is to become a real Bank. I refuse to carry a balance in my paypal account until they are secured, insured and accountable to a regulatory body.
    In the UK, they are regulated...
    But i agree, I always keep a small amount in my PayPal and let PayPal take funds out of my credit card when i need to pay something...

I don't know if it's a new policy, but if you have funds in your PayPal account and opt to pay a subscription by credit card, it will ignore that request if you have sufficient funds in your PayPal to cover the charge...A sneaky way for them to ensure you have less control of your money, and they have more...

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdevil
    ...A sneaky way for them to ensure you have less control of your money, and they have more...
    Yup. Same reason they do everything they can to get you to 'verify' your bank account. When they withdraw funds from your account there is no possibility of charging back.

This is a pretty cool feature, indeed. I signed up and was immediately called by the automated system. I must say, not too shabby at all. At least they have some layer of security.

this is pretty neat there are some more companies as well developing these kinds of services like text2pay and other stuff, really nifty imo

This is great that it's finally available in north america. It will make buying event tickets, etc so much easier.
    --