Thread: Next Language

Next Language

I know HTML and PHP very well. I also know JavaScript and CSS a decent amount. I understand those 2 languages (JS & CSS), but haven't memorized all the syntax. I also have experience in MS Access and MySQL. Next year, I'm going to learn Oracle 8 and the year after that I'll be learning Java. I was wondering what language should I learn until I finish Java and Oracle 8.

Here's what I was thinking of

C
    C++
    C#
    ASP.NET
    Cold Fusion
    Perl

Also, when you make a suggestion can you explain how the language works. I've played around with ASP.NET, but the coding is very different (and seems harder to learn) from PHP. I've heard that C/C++ is similar to PHP and would be easier to learn. I've also heard that Java is similar to C/C++.

Thanks for your advice in advanced.

ummm

i've been programming java for 6 years and I still don't KNOW it. Learning a language isn't something you can stop doing once you know it. They change. If you want one that doesn't, go with c, since it's old and stuck. If you want to get jobs, C# + .Net is pretty popular because it's like java for microsoft idiots which are present anywhere someone who's in charge doesn't know anything about IT (which is everywhere).

I've done a healthy bit of coding over the years, and C and Java are my favorites. I like coding java better, but C just feels so much more powerful. C++ is too hard. If you don't spend TONS of time on it, you may as well be programming C because you won't be dealing with what really makes it better.

That's all pointless tho. Languages don't matter at all. It's all about knowing how to code. Learn LISP next. If it's good enough for all the good universities' curricula as an intro language, it's good enough for you. And don't say php is your intro language, 'cause it's the ebonics of computing (oh, srry php doodz).
    -- My software isn't buggy; it develops random features --

I agree that languages do not matter. Learning concepts and design techniques is much more important than learning languages. You might want to take a look at UML and design patterns or more advanced OO design and implementation techniques and concepts as opposed to just learning a language such as C++ out right. You will find that once you understand the fundamentals of software engineering, you will then chose what language to write what software in, as opposed to all your work being done in one language purely because it’s the only one you know (you’ll suddenly realise that you can understand most of the languages you come across since you know the fundamentals of design, development and general programming concepts). It is also important to know PC architecture well – and Operating System architecture, and to understand the core advantages and disadvantages of each and every language. Armed with a working knowledge of the core Kernel of the OS you are working with, you will suddenly realise that languages are of little consequence in some ways.

Originally posted by p.davies
    I agree that languages do not matter. Learning concepts and design techniques is much more important than learning languages. You might want to take a look at UML and design patterns or more advanced OO design and implementation techniques and concepts as opposed to just learning a language such as C++ out right. You will find that once you understand the fundamentals of software engineering, you will then chose what language to write what software in, as opposed to all your work being done in one language purely because it’s the only one you know (you’ll suddenly realise that you can understand most of the languages you come across since you know the fundamentals of design, development and general programming concepts). It is also important to know PC architecture well – and Operating System architecture, and to understand the core advantages and disadvantages of each and every language. Armed with a working knowledge of the core Kernel of the OS you are working with, you will suddenly realise that languages are of little consequence in some ways.
    I don't know JS perfectly, but I understand how it works because I understand PHP. I totally agree with you on that perspective.

note that javascript isn't really a real programming language, but a web scripting language limited to browsers implementations.

if you are looking to learn a real programming language, pick on that you can write anything you can imagine in. no need to limit yourself to one that only works in specific environments.

that is if you are interested in programming. web designers generally haven't much desire for such things... and are most likely never real programmers, as they have no interest in that sorta thing. PHP and javascript is very limiting to very specific applications.

c and c++ are somewhat frustrating to learn due to the more involved development is (memory allocation and compile time) than scripting languages. I would suggest a scripting language like python, perl, or tcl even.

activestate ( http://www.activestate.com/) has interpreters for windows as well
    if you wanted to not use linux/bsd/*nix for your workstation and they are free of course.

using a scripting language will help you in that you will not need to worry about memory allocation (which is a big pain if you are not really into learning the language) and strong data typing (like only an int can be stored in an int, and memory must be allocated for it before hand, etc).

python may be an awesome first language for you and you can code anything in it from aerospace to desktop gui to cgi to embedded software. the true power in programming is being able to be free to do whatever you want.

C and C++ are the powerhouse of languages, but may turn you away from programming unless you are seriously committed to do it due to the pain vs scripting languages.

ps -> note that c was my first language, quickly followed by asm. i am speaking from experience in professional and personal environments, and not blind opinions
    Senior Software Developer
    BurstNET® - The Speed the Internet Travels™
    BurstNET® - an INC500™ Company
    http://www.burst.net - http://www.nocster.net

Go with C# and ASP.NET.
    PHP is good for small to medium projects, horrible for large projects, due to its lack of namespace support.

I'm strongly considering ASP.NET and C++. Are those strong decisions?

I wouldn't take that combination of languages if I was you solely because of the vast difference in syntax.

Since you know PHP and JS already, I'd suggest you take on either Perl, C or C++ since they all share similar syntax...but as BurstChris mentioned, C and C++ don't have an option where you can let it manage your memory for you, unlike in Java and so be prepared for some hair pulling I suggest shaving your head before sitting down to do some serious C++

I've also tried Java, the syntax drives me up the wall, but if you can bear with that, it's a reasonably good language to learn, I guess....but I see C/C++ as being a language which if you learn, it makes learning most other languages (including Java) very easy.

I was also originally a C++ coder since I Was 15 or so,...haven't been using C++ lately, though but it's a brilliant language to learn.

What are your ideas about ASPX?

I've never used ASPX and I don't know much about it but I've had a look at the syntax and I know I wouldn't feel too comfortable with it :/
    You might like it though...I guess it depends on the person.

I maybe mistaken, but I've heard that ASP is secure but only with servers like IIS and db's like MSSQL whereas PHP is cross platform and pretty secure on most of them.

I would probably be developing on my own computer using Win XP and IIS 5.1.

die

this thread needs to die. everyone has a different opinion. why don't you go to Border's and just pick up the cheapest book you can find on a language that can be used on the web.
    -- My software isn't buggy; it develops random features --

Re: die

Originally posted by telnettro
    this thread needs to die. everyone has a different opinion. why don't you go to Border's and just pick up the cheapest book you can find on a language that can be used on the web.
    i gotta agree with u on that one...i think im gonna go with ASPX...if i have extra time...im gonna do C++...

thanks every1 for your help....appreciate it a lot

OK, I don't want to sound too picky, but I think that first you need to understand something.

HTML and CSS are not programming languages, you cannot write a program or logic with them.

HTML is a set of tags to describe content, it's a set of standards that browser understand and it basically tells the browser how to show certain objects.

CSS is kind of an extension, especifically designed for presentation, you are simply tagging the content with certain attributes that will tell the browser how to show it.

javascript is close to a programming language, it does allow you to create a program flow and logic, but it's basically an scripting language, used mostly for the web or for certain administrative taks.

I wanted to clarify this so you don't get confused, you will find if you get into a real programming language, whatever it is that it's nothing like html or css.

Originally posted by CompuTech
    I'm strongly considering ASP.NET and C++. Are those strong decisions?
    I wouldn't go with C++, the only reason MS includes C++ in .net is because there are a large number of C++ programmers out there.

C++ is very unfriendly, especially for novice programmers, basically, with C and C++ you have to take care of many low level taks such as objects destruction and garbage collection.

I would recommend to either go with one .net language such as vb.net or c# or with java, the market for c++ will tend to shrink as it's only necessary for some specific areas.
    Last edited by the_pm; 06-26-2006 at 04:28 PM.

Originally posted by CompuTech
    What are your ideas about ASPX?
    aspx is a file extension. it's used by asp.net pages, same way that you use .asp for classic asp, .php for php or htm or html for html pages.

it basically tells IIS how to handle the request, or better said, if you install ASP.net in a computer running IIS, it will map the .aspx extension to an special isapi module (an application) called the aspnet worker process that will handle it.
    Last edited by the_pm; 06-26-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Perl, C, C++, etc...

How about Ruby on Rails
    AJAX looks like an interesting framework...

Cheers

http://www.microsopica.co.uk