Software installation

How do one go about installing any software on a VPS that have wget & rpm, but no yum or gcc? Oh, the OS is FC5 btw.

Install yum or gcc via an RPM package?

Quote Originally Posted by CArmstrong View Post
    Install yum or gcc via an RPM package?
    If I can install gcc without going through dependencies hell, or find a yum RPM that work, it would help...

Your host should have the rpms with the dependencies involved

Try here: http://ayo.freshrpms.net/
    Quote Originally Posted by ktchan View Post
    If I can install gcc without going through dependencies hell, or find a yum RPM that work, it would help...

Basicly you go here -> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...s/Fedora/RPMS/
    (It takes along time to load, so just be patient)

Search for yum. There will be an rpm file there. (search through your browser)
    right click and copy the link of the file you want (in this case yum)

In SSH: cd to the directory you want to store the downloaded RPM files, such as root (~)

wget http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...0-1.noarch.rpm

rpm -Ugh yum-2.6.0-1.noarch.rpm

This will install it. But you will probably get an error that you need a few more RPMS, search for them in the previous list, as you did with the yum package. When you have installed all those packages that yum needs you will have to run:

rpm -Ugh yum-2.6.0-1.noarch.rpm

hope that helps :-)

Fedora btw is considered by many to be a beta OS...
    if they can load CentOS - it is considered by many to be much better...

Fedora is designed primarily as a test bed, it runs the latest software and has not gone through rigorous testing - that's what you are there for. Although I have heard it is stable and runs well.

RHEL and CentOS, by extension, are more conservative. Some newer features will have been backported, but they are both designed to run in production environments where stability is more important than new-ness.
    Typo3USA - Typo3 USA Template, Extension Development and Hosting.

PhilaNetworks.com - DataCenter Management, Hosting & Remote Hands across the Delaware Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by ktchan View Post
    How do one go about installing any software on a VPS that have wget & rpm, but no yum or gcc? Oh, the OS is FC5 btw.
    Before you start going through the pain of installing the different RPMs that you find on the net, I suggest you to check your repository and at least install the yum package.

It's a great pain to find the RPMs manually, and the nightmare actually begins when you want to update these packages

With yum, upgrading is just a breeze

Good luck!
    SecureAX Singapore - Virtualization, Private Cloud Computing & Managed Datacenter in Singapore
    - Managed Virtual Private Servers, Dedicated Servers & Colocation Services in Singapore
    - Gigabit backbone at Equinix Singapore, Telstra SGCS2 & Telin Datacenters with Private Link for Disaster Recovery setup

Quote Originally Posted by michaelfoo View Post
    Before you start going through the pain of installing the different RPMs that you find on the net, I suggest you to check your repository and at least install the yum package.

It's a great pain to find the RPMs manually, and the nightmare actually begins when you want to update these packages

Good luck!
    I think the problem he is having is when he goes to install the YUM rpm it gives dependency errors. This is common on default VPS templates because they usually don't come with yum, however I would think most hosts would have this fixed. Like hostmedic said, just go to the Fedora FTP/HTTP mirror, download the yum and keep downloading the rpm's it says you need.

mkdir /usr/local/src/yum
    cd /usr/local/src/yum
    wget <RPM URL HERE>
    rpm -Uvh *.rpm

And keep wgeting/rpming until you have all the dependencies resolved.

Thank you everyone, the yum rpm (and its dependencies) on FC's website was what finally worked.

Your host should have the rpms with the dependencies involved
    I wouldn't put it past them to say it's an unmanaged server, and that I either had to pay them or find a way to install it myself. Plus it's weekend, and I didn't fancy waiting till Monday. (Yes, I'll be changing host, but that's for the longer term.)

I had already tried the various packages on freshrpms when I posted. Although the yum from (I think it was) there ran, freshrpms yum repo. wasn't so I was getting lots of errors.

Fedora btw is considered by many to be a beta OS...
    Not my main worries at the moment, although I'll take that into account when choosing a host to stay with long term.

I know. I run FC on my laptop. The problem were I couldn't get yum to work.