(TSP) TheSitePeople.com Re-design

Visit us: http://www.thesitepeople.com

Hello everyone. I was recently put in charge of re-designing our company's website and thought I'd post here for some feedback. The operative phrase during the design process was 'tasteful' and the goal was to put more of an emphasis on content and less emphasis on (for lack of a better term) the 'wow-factor'. We felt the most effective way to reach our customers and communicate our message was to make the website simple in terms of it’s overall structure but professional in it’s image. The previous design was restrictive and difficult to navigate.

What are your thoughts on the content flow? Is it hard to find the information you’re looking for or expect to see on a hosting provider’s website? What suggestions would you offer to make the website easier to use or appeal more to potential customers? Do you feel the potential customers or existing customers are targeted more? I tried to strike a balance in what audience the website is serving and feel I did that successfully but of course there’s always room for improvement.

If you’re a user here on WHT, you’re familiar with the current (but hopefully expiring) design trends for web hosting sites: pictures of servers, handshakes, cables, globes, or anything indicative of technology in general. That isn’t to say every hosting site looks that way but I think it’s safe to say a majority of them look very similar in those respects. We were really trying to steer clear of the typical ‘web hosting image’ and convey something tasteful, simple, elegant and professional and by professional I do not mean corporate. How did we do?

One thing that’s bugging me now is how the sub-pages look. Do you see how the help desk login form and “current specials” information is always present? Do you think that should be exclusive to the main page?

Anyway, let me have it. Ideas, thoughts, criticisms, all of it.

Thanks,
    Mason
    Last edited by TSP Host; 07-27-2006 at 11:50 PM.

I dont exactly like how the "best value" is for 3 gigs of space. Did you mean best value out of the other plans, or the other reseller plans?
    Other than that, I like the layout... I think you should put the specials and the prices above the helpdesk though, that way people see it more.

Quote Originally Posted by CheapnEasyHosting
    I dont exactly like how the "best value" is for 3 gigs of space. Did you mean best value out of the other plans, or the other reseller plans?
    Other than that, I like the layout... I think you should put the specials and the prices above the helpdesk though, that way people see it more.
    It's the best deal in comparision to the other 3 plans listed on the main page, which are our 3 most popular plans.

Thanks for the idea, I'll consider doing that.

Very nicely done. I love the clean nature of the site. Very clean. Choice of font and colors are well thought out. Might be a bit too simple for some but I like it. Far cry from template use. Kudos!

Message edited.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett
    Very nicely done. I love the clean nature of the site. Very clean. Choice of font and colors are well thought out. Might be a bit too simple for some but I like it. Far cry from template use. Kudos!
    Thanks for the kind words, and I'm happy to hear someone else can appreciate it in the same way I do. I did spend a lot of time selecting fonts and colors so it's nice that you noticed.

The subpages may need a little work but overall I'm very happy with the new design.

Thanks again!

That is definetly one of the better designs out there! The color choices are great, its professional and yet fun and simple! Good job, keep up the good work .

I love it. I'm a big fan of simple easy to use designs. When I make sites they are all simple and clean. I hate going to a site and tring to figure out where to click and never being able to find the information I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Techpresence
    That is definetly one of the better designs out there! The color choices are great, its professional and yet fun and simple! Good job, keep up the good work .
    Thank you! I'm glad you like it and it's really nice to hear that it impacts other viewers the same way it impacts me.

Quote Originally Posted by freebsdmike
    I love it. I'm a big fan of simple easy to use designs. When I make sites they are all simple and clean. I hate going to a site and tring to figure out where to click and never being able to find the information I want.
    My sentiments exactly. The goal of this re-design was to make it as easy to use as possible while maintaining a certain degree of visual appeal. I think it was a success.

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone. Any suggestions would be great. I'm primarily concerned with the sub-pages right now. I'd like to make them more effective at serving relevant information. As you can see, the right 15%+ of the content area on the sub-pages is wasted (imo) by putting the specials and help desk areas there. Any thoughts on what that space should contain if anything at all?

Nice design!
    However you might consider adding background color or image, just to seperate the content & background which all have white color.

Nice colors too
    --- No signature for now ---

Hello,

I like the overall look and feel of your site. I would recommend that you clean up the HTML errors on your site:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...epeople.com%2F
    17 are currently present as of this posting. (This will help search engines better index your pages).