VPS so I can replace Dropbox (VPS with lots of disk)

Cheap Disk - VPS or Cloud?

Thanks for all the great advice on a VPS provider. I'm going to experiment with linode for my personal blog.

Now...I have a separate need which I don't think is linode-appropriate. I pay $10/month to Dropbox and really it's just a glorified cloud disk space. I think I would be just as happy setting up rsync on my home server and some kind of https/htaccess-protected web page where I could browse files if I was somewhere remote (I can code that). I don't typically put anything sensitive there.

$10 gets me 50GB on Dropbox. I would love to have 100GB. The change rate on the data is not that big - maybe 20-50MB a day.

So I'm thinking a VPS with some disk attached would be cheaper. To pick one at random - for $5/month, volumedrive gives 50GB of disk. For $9/month, 100GB. Bandwidth and RAM would be far more than I'd need.

Other providers to look at?

I don't need super high performance or super high availability.

Or...cloud space?

Amazon S3 is another option. Storing 100GB (initial load) would be $19.30, and $9.30 a month after that for storage. The access fees are what is variable. If I did access change 50MB a day, that's 15GB/month, or $2.25/month, for a total cost of about $12. What I like about Dropbox is that I load the client at home and at work, and I have access to files either place, plus the web if I'm on the road. If I rsync'd two different hosts, the cost would be more like $9.30 for storage plus $4.50 and we're at $14/month...which is getting close to Dropbox prices.

Are there other cloud disk providers I should consider?

I seriously doubt you'll find a reliable VPS with 100gb for $10. There are a ton of OpenVZ hosts out these days offering unsustainable prices, but you will run into problems. Most of them have inode limits too which make your high disk quota useless.

Honestly DropBox is a very good deal for the space you get. Not to mention the convenience of it, with the apps for windows, linux, iphone, android, and blackberry, it syncs automatically too - no scheduling, rsyncing, etc etc, they have an unlimited undo history feature so you can get old copies of files deleted months ago. If you ask me even if it was 3 times the price it is now it would be worth every penny to avoid the hassle.

I was in your position a few months ago, I went with DropBox and I am 100% sure I made the right choice. And I'm the type of guy like you who is always looking for a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
    I seriously doubt you'll find a reliable VPS with 100gb for $10.
    Agreed. $10 / mo is a good deal for the amount of space you're getting with dropbox. Amazon S3 pricing I believe would be similar as well. If you need a couple TB of space, and you don't want it backed up or in raid, maybe you can do it cheaper than 20 cents / gb using vps or dedicated servers, but at the low end of the scale (50-100gb) I don't see it as likely.
    IOFLOOD.com -- We Love Servers
    Phoenix, AZ Dedicated Servers in under an hour
    ★ Ryzen 9: 7950x3D ★ Dual E5-2680v4 Xeon ★
    Contact Us: sales@ioflood.com

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    Agreed. $10 / mo is a good deal for the amount of space you're getting with dropbox. Amazon S3 pricing I believe would be similar as well. If you need a couple TB of space, and you don't want it backed up or in raid, maybe you can do it cheaper than 20 cents / gb using vps or dedicated servers, but at the low end of the scale (50-100gb) I don't see it as likely.
    Yeah I mean once you hit say a TB of space a dedi might be the way to go, but even at that point, you wouldn't save that much money, and you'd lose all of the conveniences that DropBox gives you.

I very much recommend Webwidehosting's VBS184. I've had it for 3+ years. I wrote up little mini-review here http://www.lowendtalk.com/questions/...-the-buck/4209 It's worth every penny I pay for it.

Never used these guys but I saw their announcement on another site I read:

strato-hosting.co.uk

A PITA but you could also use something like Gladinet to mounth multiple 25GB skydrive/mediamax or 50gb ADrive accounts to your PC

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/20262...dows-explorer/

I use SpiderOak for online storage. I get 100GB for $8/month (used a reddit discount code at the time). However, I think it's just $10/month, normally.

Dear, i'm using Live Drive (http://livedrive.com) it is amazing.. it provide unlimited Space, and also provide ftp access to your files, and you can install unlimited computer with single license dear use livedrive

Thanks in advance

Regards
    WaQas