Thread: VPS help!

VPS help!

Recently, I brought my first VPS it's on CentOS. I was using Plesk Panel and decided to go with Cpanel. So I Cleaned and installed new centOS template. The problem is I just brought Cpanel as Cpanel automatically install on to your hostname, for some reason my domain is not updating with Cpanel I can only see the Apachi page. It's confusing I've logged in my Putty and nothing is happening. I'm using a Domain that VPS company provided. Also I am still running Parallels Power Panel that was provided by my host company Cpanel brought by ( buycpanel.com) it says it's active my Cpanel
    Last edited by The Quad; 05-30-2012 at 08:59 PM.

As I understand you have uninstalled all your templates and plesk panel and then you made fresh installation of CentOS and cPanel but cPanel isn't working yet.

First is your VPS managed or unmanaged?
    When the new cPanel installation was made?

Quote Originally Posted by The Quad View Post
    Recently, I brought my first VPS it's on CentOS. I was using Plesk Panel and decided to go with Cpanel. So I Cleaned and installed new centOS template. The problem is I just brought Cpanel as Cpanel automatically install on to your hostname, for some reason my domain is not updating with Cpanel I can only see the Apachi page. It's confusing I've logged in my Putty and nothing is happening. I'm using a Domain that VPS company provided. Also I am still running Parallels Power Panel that was provided by my host company Cpanel brought by ( buycpanel.com) it says it's active my Cpanel
    Hi The Quad,

If you want a little help from our support team on the cPanel side of your issue we'd be happy to help 24/7. Email to support@buycpanel.com.
    Jeff F
    BuyCPanel.com - Instant CPanel and VPS License Activations!
    Lowest-Priced External CPanel Licenses
    http://www.BuyCPanel.com

Quote Originally Posted by BuyCPanel View Post
    Hi The Quad,

If you want a little help from our support team on the cPanel side of your issue we'd be happy to help 24/7. Email to support@buycpanel.com.
    I was asleep when he tried to hit me up via Skype, I did mention to him that you guys did do installation with license purchase, I'm guessing he got stuck shortly after refreshing his VPS with a clean CentOS installation. (and may be confused bout how power panel isn't the same thing as plesk as seems like he was asking how to 'disconnect' power panel from puTTY).
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

Quote Originally Posted by kbeezie View Post
    I was asleep when he tried to hit me up via Skype, I did mention to him that you guys did do installation with license purchase, I'm guessing he got stuck shortly after refreshing his VPS with a clean CentOS installation. (and may be confused bout how power panel isn't the same thing as plesk as seems like he was asking how to 'disconnect' power panel from puTTY).
    Yeah, I removed plesk and since Cpanel gets installed automatically It's not updating nothing. I know I'm doing something wrong.

Once you've licensed cPanel for your IP address either from cPanel directly, your VPS provider, or the likes of BuycPanel...

1. Reinstall CentOS. For cPanel, you always want to start with a clean install of the OS. Have your VPS provider reinstall it for you.

2. Follow the instructions that I've linked to below directly at the cPanel website. They are detailed and will walk you through the whole process.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...nGuide/WebHome

Edit: You can start at step 5 from that link.

When BuycPanel said 'its active' they are talking about the license. As in, your IP is ready for a cPanel installation, not that cPanel is already installed.
    Last edited by SajanP; 05-31-2012 at 07:36 AM.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting
    Feel free to get in touch with me if I can be of assistance with anything.
    e: sajan@parikh.io | w: sajan.io
    Give me a call at (262) 343-5973.

Quote Originally Posted by sajanNOPPIX View Post
    Once you've licensed cPanel for your IP address either from cPanel directly, your VPS provider, or the likes of BuycPanel...

1. Reinstall CentOS. For cPanel, you always want to start with a clean install of the OS. Have your VPS provider reinstall it for you.

2. Follow the instructions that I've linked to below directly at the cPanel website. They are detailed and will walk you through the whole process.

http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...nGuide/WebHome

When BuycPanel said 'its active' they are talking about the license. As in, your IP is ready for a cPanel installation, not that cPanel is already installed.
    Oh, I see also I'm still using the parralels container/virtuzzo whatever you call it. My VPS provider told me to re install it from the power panel(container)

Quote Originally Posted by The Quad View Post
    Oh, I see also I'm still using the parralels container/virtuzzo whatever you call it. My VPS provider told me to re install it from the power panel(container)
    I've not used Power Panel much, but if I recall correctly there is a 'Maintenance' page where you can 'Reinstall VPS'.

Do that to Centos 6 and then start at step 5 from the link I posted above.
    Sajan Parikh - PHP Development | Server Management | Linux Administration | Web Consulting

I've not used Power Panel much, but if I recall correctly there is a 'Maintenance' page where you can 'Reinstall VPS'.

Do that to Centos 6 and then start at step 5 from the link I posted above.
    Yeah I did that correctly. Just needed to install script in step 6 thanks to 'Kbeezie' for helping out.

PS: I just noticed your VPS only has 160MB total memory.
    IonVz - Nginx/FreeBSD/VPS Consulting | VPSNodeBox - Managed Support Representative

PS: I just noticed your VPS only has 160MB total memory.
    That's not good. I wouldn't install cPanel on anything less than 1GB.

That's not good. I wouldn't install cPanel on anything less than 1GB.
    512MB *bare minimum* , he's away at the moment so I'm disabling stuff like dns, ftp, mail (dns and mail can be done externally, ftp not needed if single user [ie: ssh/sftp], disabled spamassasin if not using email) but yea needs to upgrade ram for sure.

Figured can offer suggestions here (cpanel/whm isn't a control panel I use personally on a day to day basis, but I know my way around it).

Edit: yea disabling those cut the memory down to about 40% used. But when the server actually gets traffic that's going to be a different story. (that and apache isn't even running yet, no accounts yet).

512MB *bare minimum* , he's away at the moment so I'm disabling stuff like dns, ftp, mail (dns and mail can be done externally, ftp not needed if single user [ie: ssh/sftp], disabled spamassasin if not using email) but yea needs to upgrade ram for sure.

Figured can offer suggestions here (cpanel/whm isn't a control panel I use personally on a day to day basis, but I know my way around it).

Edit: yea disabling those cut the memory down to about 40% used. But when the server actually gets traffic that's going to be a different story. (that and apache isn't even running yet, no accounts yet).
    If all of those services aren't need or used, why use a control panel at all?

If it's just for a basic web site, just setup the vhost on a basic LAMP stack, and be done with it. .

If all of those services aren't need or used, why use a control panel at all?

If it's just for a basic web site, just setup the vhost on a basic LAMP stack, and be done with it. .
    Well if he had the ram I'd say use em all (he's doesn't know Linux CLI and such).

But yea he needs more memory, can't even recompile apache with that restraint, I had to check Skype log to see who his provider is, and these are the specs

0.33ghz
    160MB ram
    10GB hdd
    150gb traffic
    Virturuzzo

Just figured since they already installed plesk on that VPS prior (since plesk is what they give) that he had enough memory to handle whm/cpanel.