Is FatCow/EIG a good host for a CV/Resume site?

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of signing up with FatCow or iPage with their current promotion of $1/month for a site to host a very simple, clean website for my CV/resume/bio. (I am currently a college electrical engineering student). The website won't be hosting a lot, and it probably won't see many visitors (I'm putting the website URL on my paper resume, business card, or just going to tell other students and recruiters by word of mouth).
    Reason I am asking is that I have searched for FatCow on these forums, and it seems to be not a well liked web hosting company around these boards for alot of reasons.

I am on a tight college budget, do you think FatCow, even with all its shortcomings, will be suitable for my purposes?

Thanks

That shouldn't be a problem as long as your site is not using a lot of resources in terms of MySQL and number of visitors. But apparently that's not the case for you. If you can live with some downtime now and then, you can go with them. Notice however that the prices will be much higher after your 'promo' period.
    Visiba | UK and US based cPanel Web Hosting
    Softaculous Script Installer | Daily Backups | SEO Tools | SSD Servers
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee | 30 Days Money Back Guarantee | 24x7 Support

As long as your website stays online and can be loaded quickly then you shouldn't have a problem with using them. However, if people are griping about downtime and slow loading speeds then I'd suggest that you find a different host. This is your CV that we're talking about, and if potential employers are going to be looking at your website then you certainly don't want it to be unavailable or loading slow when they're interested in you as a potential candidate.
    NorthernOrange - Canadian Web Hosting Solutions since 2005
    24/7 World Class Support - 99.9% Uptime Guaranteed
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee (No hassle!)
    Shared cPanel Hosting - Business Hosting

Re: Is FatCow/EIG a good host for a CV/Resume site?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bee View Post
    As long as your website stays online and can be loaded quickly then you shouldn't have a problem with using them. However, if people are griping about downtime and slow loading speeds then I'd suggest that you find a different host. This is your CV that we're talking about, and if potential employers are going to be looking at your website then you certainly don't want it to be unavailable or loading slow when they're interested in you as a potential candidate.
    ^This. Don't waste your time, just start off with a better host from the beginning. MDD, StableHost etc would be a much better choice.

It really depends on you. I have had no experiences with FatCow so far, but if it really bothers you with the bad reputation as you have described, you may as well just go with a better host. Else, I don't see a problem with their promotional plan as long as your website stays up.

Quote Originally Posted by e5volcano View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm thinking of signing up with FatCow or iPage with their current promotion of $1/month for a site to host a very simple, clean website for my CV/resume/bio. (I am currently a college electrical engineering student). The website won't be hosting a lot, and it probably won't see many visitors (I'm putting the website URL on my paper resume, business card, or just going to tell other students and recruiters by word of mouth).
    Reason I am asking is that I have searched for FatCow on these forums, and it seems to be not a well liked web hosting company around these boards for alot of reasons.

I am on a tight college budget, do you think FatCow, even with all its shortcomings, will be suitable for my purposes?

Thanks
    I'm sure it would be quite fine for a static CV. As a electrical engineering student though, you might want to try hosting it on github for better visibility. Here's more info: http://pages.github.com/

I have had a site hosted at Fat Cow. In my opinion their prices are too high, their control panel is horrible, and their reliability is not very good, although there's plenty worse.

I have no horse in this race, my web hosting is my hobby, not a business. I'm actually a retired geek but I just can't stop.

My minimum suggestion for you is do not sign up with any provider that does not offer cPanel. cPanel makes everything about hosting a site easier, especially for beginners. In addition cPanel is expensive, so a host providing cPanel is willing to spend more to get the best. This is the person you want to do business with.

If a host also offers Softaculous that is a bonus point, as Softaculous helps you install software, like Wordpress, etc.

I'm certain you can get better hosting for less money.
    Skeptic Hosting
    Promoting a reality-based lifestyle choice
    Hosting by invitation only, nothing for sale

It's not good, no. Lots of slowdowns, and micro-downtimes (2-3 min, all day long, every day). It uses the EIG proprietary vDeck, not the industry standard cPanel. Pretty much any host is better.

Stablehost is excellent. The owner of Veerotech post here too, and that's a good one as well. Lots of good hosts to choose from, and shared is about $5 per month. That's not expensive at all.

Good luck.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Thanks for the all the replies everyone.
    Is there any good host that offers a good control panel with 1 click installs as well as domain registration with their webhosting plane for no more than $5 a month?
    The nice thing about that fatcow deal was that it came with free domain registration that I didn't have to pay per month

Is there any good host that offers a good control panel with 1 click installs as well as domain registration with their webhosting plane for no more than $5 a month?
    The nice thing about that fatcow deal was that it came with free domain registration that I didn't have to pay per month
    Check out the shared web hosting offers and go from there. There are some pretty good deals there, but also do a little research on the provider. I personally don't believe in those $1 hosting services.

Usually when they offer a free domain is when you sign-up for a whole year or more. After that, they sneak in a nice price for the registration. Of course that's not every host though.

How about dreamhost? Offering 2.95 a month for first year and free domain registration for first one

How about dreamhost? Offering 2.95 a month for first year and free domain registration for first one

Dreamhost has a good reviews.
    Last edited by Vernard; 08-24-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Error

Re: Is FatCow/EIG a good host for a CV/Resume site?

Most if not all listed in this thread include those except the free domain.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernard View Post
    Dreamhost is also owned by EIG. Lots of negative feedback this past month due to network issues.
    Dreamhost is not owned by EIG.
    It's not much better, however, than EIG brands or Godaddy.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Dreamhost is not owned by EIG.
    It's not much better, however, than EIG brands or Godaddy.
    My mistake, I saw Dreamhost and though BlueHost.

Is FatCow/EIG a good host for a CV/Resume site?

A full year domain registration will cost you 10-12 bucks at a registrar like Dynadot or NameCheap, usually less for the first year. I wouldn't worry about choosing a provider based on whether they offer a free domain or not based on how little it costs to register one yourself.
    NorthernOrange - Canadian Web Hosting Solutions since 2005
    24/7 World Class Support - 99.9% Uptime Guaranteed
    30 Day Money Back Guarantee (No hassle!)
    Shared cPanel Hosting - Business Hosting

Further more, You should be aware of the next following charges before sign up.
    HOSTCreateAblog - Create Your Blog
    http://www.hostcreateablog.com/ - Get Started Now!

I have my online resume/portfolio at Stablehost. Had it there for 4 years now.
    I turn the site off and on as needed.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

If you'll have mostly static pages, you should check out NearlyFreeSpeech.net (pay for what you use). It could literally cost you under a dollar a year to host your CV, since all you'd have to pay for is bandwidth and storage.

Using PHP and MySQL is also pretty inexpensive - a cent a day for each - so that'd turn out to be ~60 cents per month.

NFS may have blocking issues to worry about, if the company being applied for has an overly strict firewall. Same goes for any hosts that has potentially controversial content, pron, etc.

That's also why I used Stablehost -- clean network, never had issues.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Thanks for all the help and replies.
    I am currently eyeing in addition to DH, WebHostingBuzz, which seems to have a lot of good reviews online

@kpmedia Does that firewall story still usually apply even if you use your own domain name (i.e. not *.nfshost.com - strict firewall based on IP)?

It has nothing to do with domains. It's about IPs of the host.
    || Need a good host?
    ||

Personally since all that's happened with EIG hosts. I'd go with a non eig host such as reliablehostingservices.net

I've used reliablehostingservices.net in the past and had a great experience with them.

Chad
    Webmasterbabble.com Webmaster Forum
    Come join us at webmasterbabble.com