fsck.ext3: bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd1/dev/hdd1

Hi guys,

cPanel locked up during mounting/formatting a secondary hard-drive as /backup.

The server was rebooted and now the bootup screen is displaying this error:

fsck.ext3: bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/hdd1 /dev/hdd1. superblock could not read or does not describe a correct ext 2 filesystem
    I will have to fix this tomorrow morning, any ideas? I am thinking that the /etc/fstab has the /dev/hdd1 included in it and that's why its failing...

How would you guys fix this problem?
    ^_^

You'll need to go into single user mode and either repair the file system or remove it from the fstab.
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    You'll need to go into single user mode and either repair the file system or remove it from the fstab.
    At the bootup screen, is it linux recovery or "linux single" to boot into single user mode? Do I need the CD for CentOS in order to boot?
    ^_^

"linux single" will probably do it - then correct the entry in /etc/fstab.
    I think the server saw what was required of it and just committed suicide instead.

That doesn't sound like an error about the device being mounted more like a corrupt superblock. If there is no valuable data on this partition you may want to reformat the drive. If there is you'll have to use mk2fs -S to write a new superblock. I've had this happen to me once I was able to recover the data, but the filenames were lost.

linklike_2:
    I agree. Sounds like either a corrupted device/superblock, or else it isn't actually ext2. I have seen this error when the filesystem is a different type.

How do you boot into single user?

At grub bootscreen I clicked "a" to append "single" then press enter. It booted up, but I got the same error.

Control + D or enter root password to begin repair.

I enter root password, try to edit /etc/fstab "READ ONLY FILESYSTEM"

Did not work, so I unmounted and remounted the filesystem and it let me edit it.

However, I want to know how to enter single user in the future, any ideas? Lets say I lost the root PW.
    ^_^

You need to append single to the line that begins with kernel. I suggest putting it at the end. I think in single user mode the file systems default to being mounted read only. You can try remounting them read write.

mount -o rw,remount -a

No guarantees that you'll be able to remount the file systems. Also if you have physical access to the box I'd check out a linux recovery cd like RIP linux, or knoppix. You can then mount the root filesystem and chroot into the file system and change the password that way.