Thread: outsourcing?

outsourcing?

Recently, my host pulled the plug on the nobody email function, which kills my forums, contact forms, etc... see here:
    http://www.xstreamhost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457

Now, I need to find somewhere to host my php scripts? Should I outsource? Any recommendations?

thanks!

Most forums have an administration option to use SMTP mail sending, rather than PHP's mail functions - it'd be an idea to check this out first.

As for contact forms, it's just as easy to use sendmail rather than PHP's mail functions (I think you'll find them more reliable too).

Your host has done well to stop the user 'nobody' sending e-mail - hopefully they gave you adequate time to prepare for this.

Kevin

What forums are you using? Like H-U.net said some forums one of which being phpBB let you set and SMTP server to send mail, if this is so with your host use the SMTP server of your domain.

I am not sure what to do with other scripts.. maybe find another host if your going to need to jump through hoops to run them.

Originally posted by H-U.net

Your host has done well to stop the user 'nobody' sending e-mail - hopefully they gave you adequate time to prepare for this.

Kevin
    I didn't get any notice at all until I checked the forums when I noticed that my scripts were not working, and I saw they had turned it off.

If your host has disabled nobody from sending out e-mails they should have also compiled apache with scgi enabled. Once that is enabled you can enable the scgi-wrapper from the cpanel control panel and move your scripts into the scgi-bin. As well as allowing you to send out mail you can use the scgi-bin to provide enhanced security.

Yes, you are able to do what was mentioned above

would moving it into the scgi-bin change the path, or is it a hidden folder?

How would you suggest I talk to my host about this?