Creativeflight Guest
    Hello All,
    I wonder if anyone could give me advice on Web Hosting, there are so many companies out there it's hard to choose.
    Who Am I:
    Web Designer
    Purpose:
    To host multiple small projects written in .Net or PHP, the projects are really just my experiments so not expecting much traffic.
    Requirements:
    Running Windows server 2003 or 2008
    Space 5GB +
    OK Bandwidth (Say 20GB+)
    Multiple Hosted Domains
    Domain Aliases
    Sub Domains
    Host unlimited or multiple sites under one account
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008 (Many as possible)
    MySQL DBs
    Virtual Directories
    Custom Error Pages
    Rewrite Module (IIS or other)
    FTP (Multiple)
    IIS 6 or 7
    Support for ASP.NET v3.x, PHP, CGI-BIN
    Control Panel (Plesk 9 or CPanel sound good)
    Email
    I'm based in the UK but don't really mind where the server is hosted as long as the connection (speed) is reasonable.
    My budget is small, not looking to pay more than £4.00 or $7 a month.
    My shortlist so far consist of:
    MochaHost (Business - $4.75)
    ReliableSite (Shared - $5.00)
    ASPnix (Shared - $7.77)
    If anyone can recommend any others or let me know their opinions on the above that would be great.
    Thanks

Hello All,
    I wonder if anyone could give me advice on Web Hosting, there are so many companies out there it's hard to choose.
    Who Am I:
    Web Designer
    Purpose:
    To host multiple small projects written in .Net or PHP, the projects are really just my experiments so not expecting much traffic.
    Requirements:
    Running Windows server 2003 or 2008
    Space 5GB +
    OK Bandwidth (Say 20GB+)
    Multiple Hosted Domains
    Domain Aliases
    Sub Domains
    Host unlimited or multiple sites under one account
    Microsoft SQL Server 2005 or 2008 (Many as possible)
    MySQL DBs
    Virtual Directories
    Custom Error Pages
    Rewrite Module (IIS or other)
    FTP (Multiple)
    IIS 6 or 7
    Support for ASP.NET v3.x, PHP, CGI-BIN
    Control Panel (Plesk 9 or CPanel sound good)
    Email
    I'm based in the UK but don't really mind where the server is hosted as long as the connection (speed) is reasonable.
    My budget is small, not looking to pay more than £4.00 or $7 a month.
    My shortlist so far consist of:
    MochaHost (Business - $4.75)
    ReliableSite (Shared - $5.00)
    ASPnix (Shared - $7.77)
    If anyone can recommend any others or let me know their opinions on the above that would be great.
    Thanks
    Well my only problem I see is that on average you would be able to easily get this from a linux web hosting provider, however windows hosting tends to be a bit more expensive for a provider and because of this, reliable windows hosting will usually run you a bit more I believe then your budget.
    Two great resources I recommend checking are here:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126
    and
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Creativeflight Guest
    Thanks AquariusADMIN for your reply, I had checked out both links you posted earlier on today, and broken my list down to the three I listed, but as you say Linux might be an option to consider - I'll have another look around. Thanks again.

you may try Ixwebhosting which allows you Both MSSQL and MYSQL/PHP /ASP in One Account, and also Ability to host UNLIMITED DOMAINS in one account
    IXwebhosting is also one of the most Well-known companies out there, there are some other good ones too
    hope to be helpful

Creativeflight Guest
    Thanks mastert, I'll take a look.

Thanks mastert, I'll take a look.
    I would recommend staying away from people offering unlimited diskspace and bandwidth. The reason I say this is because usually you will end up with slow servers and unlimited simply isn't possible. Also, try to stay away from those listed on the top 10 of review sites because most are just affilate links. Best of Luck on your search.

Creativeflight Guest
    Cheers GCM. Yeah I've come across those 'Top 10%' sites many times, as you say it's usually best to ignore them.

Whats your budget? im guessing around $10 /mo
    sounds like a reasonable budget dont be tempted by anything that seems too good to be true, and if your not sure if any hosts on your shortlist provide asp or anything else you require it can't hurt to ask, and even if they say the dont support it you can always ask if it can be added as a good host should be able to install most things like asp etc upon request, as long as what your asking them to install doesn't pose a security risk to them.
    You shouldn't have much of a problem finding someone who can meet your needs

my advice would be medialayer - i'm 18 months hosting with them and very satisfied with them.

Creativeflight Guest
    Hi Electric-Shadow,
    My budget is small ($7/mo). I have checked a fair amount of sites and always bug them with questions via instant chat or email :-)
    I'll keep looking.

Creativeflight Guest
    Cheers rozha, I'll check them out.

my advice would be medialayer - i'm 18 months hosting with them and very satisfied with them.
    Agreed. ML is a good option. But, it is above his/her budget. You may want to take a look at the shared offers section. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

Hi Electric-Shadow,
    My budget is small ($7/mo). I have checked a fair amount of sites and always bug them with questions via instant chat or email :-)
    I'll keep looking.
    Always a good thing to do, if a host is reasonably knowledgable about questions you ask them then it's certainly something to add to your "pros" for that particular host but if they dont seem to know very much then its something to add to your "cons"
    If like me you rarely need support then it's not necessarily a reason to overlook them completely but it certainly does help more importantly their server should be reliable and stable everything else is a bonus. You could have the best support in the world but the server could still be a heap of old junk.

Agreed. ML is a good option. But, it is above his/her budget. You may want to take a look at the shared offers section. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4
    usually, i'd say you are right. but if we take in consideration, that their basic plan costs 9.95$ (and offers all of the reqiurements needed) and they give 50% off for the first month and then 20% off for the first year - it's definitely in topicstarter's budget.

AFAIK, MediaLayer won't support .NET, IIS, MSSQL or any Windows-specific software.

usually, i'd say you are right. but if we take in consideration, that their basic plan costs 9.95$ (and offers all of the reqiurements needed) and they give 50% off for the first month and then 20% off for the first year - it's definitely in topicstarter's budget.
    Correct. But, the OP requires more than 500MB of disk space.
    AFAIK, MediaLayer won't support .NET, IIS, MSSQL or any Windows-specific software.
    The OP, is currently also considering linux hosting.

oops, that i don't know...

oops, that i don't know...
    S/he requires the following:
    Hello All,
    Space 5GB +
    OK Bandwidth (Say 20GB+)
    Multiple Hosted Domains