Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Age of website - can you change it?

This may sound "dumb" but is there a way to change the "age" of a website that is built to make it look like it has been around longer than it really has?

Lots of search engines use the age of a website to sort relevancy. If there was a way to make the site appear "older" it would give better SERPS, right?

Any comments on this?
    Darren E
    Web Design Houston
    Web Design The Woodlands
    Pixelbit Studios, LLC.

I do not think such thing exists, unless you hack the database of the registry
    Managed.gr cloud hosting, paas, vps, dedicated, domain registration on global datacenters.

As tonyFF says... unless you hacked the registry... there is no way to change the domains creations date.
    www.JGRoboMarketing.com / "Automate. Grow. Repeat"
    █ Office: (800) 959-0182 / A KEAP Certified Developer (KCD)

It won't really help you. "Old" websites tends to rank well because they have been online for longer than you.

If you work on a 5 years domain that has been idle for 5 years, it won't help. According to Google, old as in "live"

Huh?

The age of a domain cannot be changed. Older sites tend to be indexed more, or have their content indexed more. This is why "older" domains tend to rank better.

Get in touch with a labels manufactirer and order seveal labels with : ' our www online since 1896'. Then pour in some red wine and offer to Walmart or so.

It's not the age of your website or domain, but how long the search engines have been coming to you. If you purchase a 10-year-old domain that has been "For Sale" since it was registered and you put up a website, it's going to be treated much the same way as that same website on a domain name which was registered last week.

If you register a brand new domain name and by some amazing power manage to edit the creation date and make it appear older, it's not going to aid you in your quest for that #1 spot. Think not the age of the domain, but the length of time Google has been viewing you on it.

How about a domain which was live for 2 years and then for sale for another year before it was purchased again?

Can we count the domains age to carry on from 2 years or it starts all over again?

Shoot an email to eeschmidt@google.com
    He might help
    DigiPun.ch
    An Awesome Digital Punch Clock
    Release date: October 1st

Ok. This email belongs to who?

err.. Sorry pal, I was just kidding :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_E._Schmidt

Like others said, there is no way to alter your web page's age, because that info is in someone else's database...
    DigiPun.ch

Ok, at least now I know who is CEO Google.

Anyway, I am not talking about altering anything. What I am saying is the domain was already 2 years old prior to me purchasing it. So does it mean my domain is carrying on from 2 years old or resetted?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren E View Post
    This may sound "dumb" but is there a way to change the "age" of a website that is built to make it look like it has been around longer than it really has?

Lots of search engines use the age of a website to sort relevancy. If there was a way to make the site appear "older" it would give better SERPS, right?

Any comments on this?
    Probably not.

Could you give us a real life example of what you are wanting to change? Perhaps a domain name of a site in question?

Quote Originally Posted by million2b View Post
    Ok, at least now I know who is CEO Google.

Anyway, I am not talking about altering anything. What I am saying is the domain was already 2 years old prior to me purchasing it. So does it mean my domain is carrying on from 2 years old or resetted?
    It will not reset, so you will have all the SEO benefits from those 2 years, if there are any that is.

However, if you re-registered an expired domain, I don't know if the creation date will be reset or not.
    DigiPun.ch

Ok. Mine was an expired domain. From the way I see it, I am guessing there is no definite answer. Well I am just hoping it is counted as a 2 year old domain.

I don't think it necessary to change the age of your website.The age of your website doesn't too much matter with your seo.

I believe age does matter in SEO to an extend. In dire situations when two sites gives similar quality stuff from their website, the age factor will be the one deciding which site goes on top of the other. Now of course this is a guess and an example I came up with. I am sure age matters in many other areas of SEO.

I tend to agree with MarkWil. It is not because your site is old that it is better ranked. You have the perception that it is but it is not. If the content of your site is not interesting and no one is linking to your site, then it will not get a good rank.

Hi manicone2008, all I am saying is that age of the site is part of the algorithms. Of course content is important.

I don't think it can be alter. And I guess, it doesn't matter if your website is new or old,it depends on how you optimize it.

Age of site only really matters if it's an established old site anyway. Eg; has quality old links. Otherwise if you buy an older domain that doesn't have a history; with quality old links, then age won't matter. No it can't be altered legally. :-)
    Freelance SEO Consultant - Been there, done that. Will do it again!

And I don't intend to alter anything illegally either.

My post wasn't aimed at you specifically, more in general context of this conversation. If you picked up an expired TLD you will probably be out of luck with Google not counting any of that domain's previous history.
    Last edited by nuthin; 09-25-2008 at 04:55 AM.
    Freelance SEO Consultant - Been there, done that. Will do it again!

If you pickup an old site the search engine will show old links with old texts i guess nothing else matters if you have a nice SEO.

Google likes mature links. And it follows that Google likes mature content. But there is no reason to fake it. Its not something that carries that much weight that we need to worry about it. We include the age of the domain in our lists of Paid Reveiw sites but this is more about saying No to something we should spend a lot more time worrying about.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast