return email address

after setting up the basic server and adding webmail to my RAQ4 server - during the mail server testing I noticed that the email addresses that were in the webmail were name@www.mydomain.com reather than the normal name@domain.com . I have looked throughout and cannot find a way to correct this before I start setting up the rest of the domains and users. Can anyone shed some light please.
    Thanks,
    DAS
    DAS

The fix may be as simple as putting 'domain.com' (no www) in the email alias field. Try that first.

If that doesn't work, change your site setup as follows:

hostname: www
    domain: domain.com

web alias: domain.com
    email alias: domain.com

Set up your DNS so you have an A record for:

A - domain.com
    A - www.domain.com

and then an MX record for

domain.com served by high priority mail server domain.com

We use mail.domain.com, but same difference, the above will fix your problem.

Repost if you have any problems.
    Good luck!

Brandon

None of those changes should be relevant for outgoing mail, only incoming.

The problem is that you actually _are_ sending mail from user@www.basedomain.com (all inbound mail is virtualized/rewritten to actual usernames on your base domain).

There's some info on the sendmail site about virtualizing outbound mail, which would include customizing the www.domain.com to just domain.com. There might also be some settings in your webmail software; not sure (you don't say which package you're using).

Not much help, I'm sure, but just wanted to clarify...
    http://www.lamphowto.com/ - LAMP and LAMP+SSL HowTo
    http://www.cobaltfaqs.com/ - Cobalt FAQs and HowTos

Bruce, you're undoubtably the Cobalt expert here, and I am glad you are lending your vast expertise to our little WHT group :-)

In this case, if the user is utilizing NeoMail, then the above fixes should work. I don't know what exactly NeoMail draws from to populate its default settings, but in our experience this does the trick. It may not work for OpenWebMail... not sure. I'll check a client machine and see, but if I recall correctly there was some discussion on the users list earlier this year about the same type of problem with that app as well.

HTH,

Brandon

Hi

This is a known problen with Open Webmail.

As far as i know, the only solution is to tell the clients to add the correct adress in the open webmail preferences, and then select it to be the standard from adress.

You can add adresses in the top menu in preferences if you click on the icon with two envelopes.

As soon as anyone find another solution i will be wery happy to know. I have four RaQ's with costumers, and i am often asked this question.

Sinumsen

That is what I found so far.
    I have tested many settings and found that all the mail server settings - incoming and outgoing - www.mydomain.com, mydomain.com, mail.domain.com. I believe that is due to DNS setting though also.
    Thanks for the help...........all.
    DAS