Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

North Korea Warns of 'Disasters'

first off, im not trying to debate anything here. Im not representing anything, i was just kind of startled when i read this AP (associated press) article .

SEOUL, South Korea (March 2) - North Korea warned Sunday of "nuclear disasters'' around the world if Washington attacks the communist state, while its civilian leaders urged greater cooperation between Pyongyang and Seoul to ease the crisis on the Korean Peninsula.

The North's official Rodong Sinmun newspaper accused the Central Intelligence Agency of preparing a surprise attack on the nation's nuclear facilities that are suspected of being used to make atomic bombs.

"If the U.S. imperialists ignite a war on the Korean Peninsula, the war will turn into a nuclear war,'' Rodong said. "As a consequence, the Koreans in the north and south and the people in Asia and the rest of the world will suffer horrifying nuclear disasters.''

The report, carried by the North's state-run KCNA news agency, claimed that Washington put its forces around the peninsula on "semi-war footing'' and "is pushing ahead with nuclear war preparations in full swing.''

Pyongyang accuses Washington of inciting the nuclear standoff as a pretext for an invasion. Washington has repeatedly said it has no plans to attack North Korea, but stresses that "all options are on the table.''

In Seoul on Sunday, North Korea's religious and civic leaders took part in inter-Korean religious masses and urged greater cooperation between the two Koreas.

"Preventing war through national cooperation is the most urgent task of the nation,'' said Ri Mun Hwan, a senior North Korean delegate. "If war breaks out, the South cannot be safe and the entire nation will face disaster.''

Another delegate, Oh Kyung Woo, said the "United States is threatening a nuclear war, but if war breaks out both South and North will incur damages,'' according to South Korea's national Yonhap news agency.

"Foreign forces will never give us reunification. We must cooperate with each other,'' Oh was quoted as saying.

The comments were made during religious masses at a cathedral, a church, a Buddhist temple and other religious locations, which were attended by thousands of South Koreans.

The ceremonies were a part of an inter-Korean festival to mark the anniversary of a major independence uprising against Japanese colonial rule on March 1, 1919.

Pyongyang sent 105 delegates to Seoul on Saturday for the three-day festival. Both Koreas mark the uprising as a major holiday. Japan ruled the peninsula from 1910 to 1945.

Rodong, monitored by South Korea's national Yonhap news agency, reiterated that the North's nuclear activities were "strictly for peaceful purposes and poses no threat to anyone.''

"Crushing the U.S. plot to attack North Korea is a very important issue related to peace and safety of Asia and the world, the existence and future of mankind,'' Rodong said.

Raising tensions last week, North Korea test-fired a missile into the sea off its east coast. Pyongyang also reactivated a 5-megawatt reactor that could produce plutonium for nuclear weapons, U.S. and South Korean officials said.

On Saturday, North Korea said nuclear war could break out on the peninsula at "any moment,'' after South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun warned of a "calamity'' unless the standoff is resolved peacefully and quickly.

The dispute flared in October when Washington said North Korea had admitted pursuing a nuclear program, which violated a 1994 pact.

Washington and its allies cut off oil shipments to the impoverished communist state. The North responded by saying it would reactivate its frozen facilities. It also expelled U.N. monitors and withdrew from the global Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty.

03/02/03 18:56 EST

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

I think Kim Jong II has Iraq and North Korea Confused, we're planning to attack the former. Either that or he just wants attention.

Its called equal rights. Every country has the right to be bombed.
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

North Korea warned Sunday of "nuclear disasters'' around the world
    That's something i'd take seriously if I were Georgie..

N Korea is known to have been selling/buy weapons, there's a high chance that nuclear warheads could have been exchanged and placed in countries allied with north korea

No, Bush won't pay attention to anything if the dictator's name isn't Saddam.

NK do have WMD and a probable small nuclear capacity. - but NK are doing a heck of a lot of posturing. They're not quite sure about how to play the diplomatic game so they're going for shock tactics.

There's a strange political game going on in SE Asia at the moment. If it were actually a serious situation then China would get involved to reign in the North Koreans. You shouldn't worry too much: unless NK actually bites back at China. Then we'd have a rogue nuclear state...

North Korea's nuclear weapon stockpile is neglible in size. I'd be more worried about China.

what's that quote....

"It's not the man with a 100 nukes you should be worried about, it's the crazed, threatening man with just one.."

...or something like that..

And people wondered why the U.S. led the fight so many years against the evil that is communism.

Anyways, North Korea will likely mess up South Korea, but I seriously doubt their capability to fight the U.S.

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    Anyways, North Korea will likely mess up South Korea, but I seriously doubt their capability to fight the U.S.
    Iraq also.

Originally posted by MCHost-Marc
    Its called equal rights. Every country has the right to be bombed.
    Getting a tad political aren't we Marc?
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Originally posted by Archbob
    I think Kim Jong II has Iraq and North Korea Confused, we're planning to attack the former. Either that or he just wants attention.
    IMO, the bloke just doesn't look like he's playing with a full deck.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

North Korea Warns of 'Disasters'

Well North Korea is already a Disaster area so they must want company. Kim Jong II is what Saddam will become in a year or two, a screaming child holding a few nukes that wants attention. Why does North Korea want to talk to the U.S.? Isn't this a U.N. issue. South Korea also needs to decide what they want to do sooner or later, be invaded by the north or keep U.S. troops in their country. If South Korea wants a UNITED Korea above all else, I am sure the north will oblige them as soon as we pull out.

I really believe we (U.S.) should pull out of all the countries that don't want us, South Korea, Germany, Japan, etc, etc....

We (U.S. citizens) have paid too long to keep other countries safe, yes even countries without oil. I for one am sick and tired of all of the anti-American rhetoric from the children and grandchildren of people the U.S. has saved and protected for years!
    Last edited by sitekeeper; 03-03-2003 at 03:53 PM.
    Sitekeeper
    Google

Its all about the oil isn't it? The free world doesn't really matter....

Archbob, with each post it seems you take ignorance to a new level. If you dislike Bush, at least have the sense to bury your true beliefs in a plausible scenario. Hiding your hatred of Bush behind hare brained rhetoric only makes you look silly.

I think this whole war thing sucks pond water,i really do!!!

Now we have threats of nuclear stuff????? This is just GGRREEAATT!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by MDJ2000
    Archbob, with each post it seems you take ignorance to a new level. If you dislike Bush, at least have the sense to bury your true beliefs in a plausible scenario. Hiding your hatred of Bush behind hare brained rhetoric only makes you look silly.
    Well I put him on my ignore list. His extreme leftism clouds the picture of reality.

Originally posted by The Dude_

I think this whole war thing sucks pond water,i really do!!!

Now we have threats of nuclear stuff????? This is just GGRREEAATT!!!

The Dude
    Well sticking you head in the sand is not going to help! The best way to avoid WAR is through strength, history is clear on that.
    Sitekeeper
    Google

Originally posted by Aussie Bob
    Getting a tad political aren't we Marc?
    I just believe every country should have equal rights, nothing more, nothing less.
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

Bomb them and let Allah sort them out
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

Originally posted by sitekeeper

We (U.S. citizens) have paid too long to keep other countries safe, yes even countries without oil. I for one am sick and tired of all of the anti-American rhetoric from the children and grandchildren of people the U.S. has saved and protected for years!
    Yes and everyone else is tired of the rhetoric that anyone who criticises America is anti-US. I don't think China has a particularly great record when it comes to human rights is that just anti-China rhetoric, I think some of the acts committed by the Britsh Empire were shameful, is that more anti-British rhetoric despite the fact I am British?

The US have done some decent things over time Bosnia or Kuwait for example, but it's done more harm to the world than any other democratic country with the possible exception of Britain.

- Was removing the democratic government of Chile and putting a sadistic dictator like Pinochet in power for the benefit of the people of Chile?

- Was being virtually the only western country not to sign up to the land mine treaty an example of US morales?

- Is the continued embargo of Cuba justified or the continued breaking of the UN resolution that states the embargo is illeagal, the right thing to do?

- How about the IMF/WTO US led policies that just worsen the poverty of poorer countries in the world so big business can get access to resources and markets.

- What about the double standards over Israel, a country that shoots children in the street, blocks aid workers, threatens journalists and which get's more US aid than any other country.

And yet people wonder why the rest of the world and many Americans are suspect over the US desire for war with Iraq.

How do you know? You don't see them shooting children in the streets on TV. I'm sure its happened before but most of that is BS.

Powerful nations cause envy in weaker nations...
    envy creates jealousy...
    jealousy creates hate...
    hate leads to ignorance...

Its the way its always been.

If anyone one nation were as powerful as the U.S. then that country would throw is weight around just as much if not more. Thank god its not a country like North Korea.
    "The impossibility of conceiving that this grand and wonderous universe with our conscious selves arose through chance, seems to me the chief argument for existence of God; but whether this argument is of real value I have never been able to decide... The safest conclusion seems to be that the whole subject is beyond the scope of man's intellect." - Charles Darwin

Here we go again... Bagpuss is at his usual ranting...

I agree that if any country was as powerful as the US it would throw its weight around. However, that is not an excuse for us to stick out news in other people's Business.

Its like saying "if other people are as strong as me, they'd beat people up too, so therefore I have the right to beat people up".

And based on sitekeepers last comment about oil in that post, I think my last post was appropriate. Giancarlo just couldn't refute me anymore in that other thread because all the facts of history were against him so he just put me on his ignore list because he couldn't prove he was right and we all know he just refuses to be wrong. Everytime he hears someone saying something that doesn't agree with his ideal of ultra-conservatism he writes it off as "hogwash" or "ranting".

I'm glad the US is the most powerful country in the world right now, but I do not agree with some of the things its doing. It, like all members of the UN, should have to follow UN rules and not go to war if the UN votes war down. I will support the war if it has UN backing, but as it is right now, we do not have the right to make war on Iraq.

nice attitude gian.... just because you dont agree with someone doesnt mean you have to troll MY thread. I enjoy hearing everyones input...its good to hear different ideas and thoughts. Dont think for 2 seconds anyone here agrees with you on anything. I wish we could just keep this lounge friendly and discuss things without jumping on others peoples backs. I seriously think the mods should make a new rules in the lounge that says "if you have nothing nice to say, or anything to add to the post, then keep your pie hole shut".

On to the topic, these people are threatening the US outright, not to mention other countries. I find nothing funny about possible nuclear disasters, if anything i say a war with korea is far more important then saddam. Then again, Korea is saying "leave us the F#$k alone and we'll do the same"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast