* Need Help selecting what I need

Lol as silly (or dumb) as it may sound but its true

Up to now all I pretty much know is that my site used to be running fine but lately(over the last year) its been getting a lot of "unable to connect to database" messages on the front end and in my inbox I get "db error" emails telling me that the site is unable to connect to the database.

I am hosted by dreamhost on a shared account which offer a huge amount of resources but I only use the following (averages)

------------------Start of report---------------------

Total Bandwidth Used these 30 daysJanuary)
    Web MB MB/Day Cycle Estimate
    5480.7659 MB 182.692 MB 5298.074 MB

Disk Space Usage: Currently Using: 9.4 GB

MySQL Usage:
    Disk Usage Conueries
    142.099 MB 10.108 MCn

Site Statistics:
    Figures in parentheses refer to the 7-day period ending Feb 23 2008 at 2:36 AM.

Successful requests: 855,799 (298,607)
    Average successful requests per day: 38,929 (42,658)
    Successful requests for pages: 204,116 (81,930)
    Average successful requests for pages per day: 9,284 (11,704)
    Failed requests: 50,786 (3,755)
    Redirected requests: 113 (9)
    Distinct files requested: 77,183 (9,312)
    Distinct hosts served: 20,969 (1,318)
    Data transferred: 9.88 gigabytes (3.34 gigabytes)
    Average data transferred per day: 460.29 megabytes (488.25 megabytes)

------------------End of report---------------------

Please understand that all those numbers dont really mean much to me I am not very tech savy but I can manage and run the software running my site pretty expertly Now I need knowledgeable advice on what I need for my site? Shared/vps/dedicated? What sort of a set up would be advisable?

Also I read somewhere that the HTTP end and the SQL end use resources independently from each other and need to be allocated resources properly for smooth operation. What would be the requirements in my case?

Also on another note Dreamhost is currently offering me (through my control panel) a new "by invitation" service only called Dreamhost P.S (private servers). They say the following about it:

DreamHost PS is our new invite-only premium shared hosting service, available only as an add-on to a current DreamHost hosting plan. DreamHost PS uses Linux-VServer to give you your own "virtual machine", thereby protecting your CPU and RAM from all other users on your physical machine.

Everything else you've come to looooooove about DreamHost stays the same though: you get all the same features available from the same web panel, the same huge amounts of bandwidth and disk, the same load-balanced email, the same dedicated MySQL servers*, the same so-good support, and the same centralized high-performance storage with automatic versioned backups.
    What's so great about it?

* You get your own protected CPU and memory!
    * You can still burst up to the much more cpu and memory!
    * It works just like your current shared service!
    * We'll never kill a persistent process / cronjob you run!
    * You can name your own "server"!
    * You get a unique IP (a $4.95/month value)!
    * You can change your memory and CPU on the fly... no reboot needed!
    * You can reboot your own server from our panel instantly!
    * You get historical memory / load graphs on our panel!

What's not so great about it?

* It's currently invitation-only.
    * It's $1.50/month ($1.00/month forever if you pre-order now!) for each 10 MB and 10 MHz.
    * There's a $100 (waived for now!) one-time set up fee.
    * You don't get root access... remember, it works just like our regular hosting.
    * (But hey, no root means no breaking things... and our hosting is already super flexible!)
    * Here's a wiki page on troubleshooting your PS!
    * You cannot use Miva Merchant or Frontpage on DreamHost PS.

*New: DreamHost PS MySQL!

* Now, you can get exactly the same sort of memory and cpu isolation you're used to from DreamHost PS for your MySQL databases as well!
    * DreamHost PS MySQL is completely separate from DreamHost PS; you can get either one without the other, neither or both!
    * ** If you get both DreamHost PS for your web server and for your MySQL, you get 20% off your combined monthly DreamHost PS fees!
    * * For MySQL, CPU time is much less important than RAM and disk speed (MySQL PS uses local, raided, high-speed SAS drives). Since it is not a potential bottleneck, on MySQL PS CPU time is approximate... though still proportional to your RAM level.
    * DreamHost PS MySQL is version 5.0.24 (and higher in the future) only!

How much Memory / CPU do I need?

Honestly, since you can always adjust your amounts in real time, it's okay to just start randomly and then move it up (or down) if your site seems too slow (or too fast)!
    Nonetheless, here's a very rough guideline:

* 150 MB / 150 Mhz: 99% of all predominantly static sites. (e.g. www.dreamhost.com)
    * 300 MB / 300 Mhz: A top 100 blog.
    * 515 MB / 515 Mhz: A busy forum.
    * 2300 MB / 2300 Mhz: A very popular web app.

We do recommend you start on the HIGH side though, and adjust down. Really ANY problem you may have with your DreamHost PS is ALWAYS due to not setting your levels high enough and running out of ram!
    How can I sign up?

As great as this all sounds, DreamHost PS is invitation only for now! HA HA!

If you are currently a DreamHost customer and you want to get in on this sweeeeet new offering, you can pre-order via our panel today!

If you're not already a DreamHost customer, you'll need to remedy that first!
    Please comment on this - is this any good?

Thank you beforehand for any help that you may extend to me on this matter.
    Akulion

I think your best choice is find a better shared plan (e.g. HostGator) to host your 9.4 GB space + 5.5GB BW site.

The DreamHost VPS is not cheap, if you really want a VPS, you can find a better one through professional VPS providers (e.g. KnownHost).

They make it sound all good that you can change the amount of RAM and CPU instalty, however it does work out to be quite pricy.

For example for 512MB Ram and 512Mhz would be $51, with a company like KnownHost you can get a "real" vps with much better specs at a much lower price.

Either find a non-oversold SharedHost that offer you more power and less space as your not using the whole 300+GB that DreamHost offer, or if you think you need the power grab a Managed VPS from a decent company.

KnownHost.com is one that I can name, however check the VPS Offer Forum.

thanks you both for your insight, I really appreciate your advice

The error "unable to connect to database" could very well mean that you have hit the maximum number of mySQL connections.

You don't necessarily have to go to a VPS, a quality shared hosting plan should be able to work for you. Some other options you can look into are application hosting, clustered hosting, semi-dedicated hosting. These options do not require you to learn how to operate a Linux server.
    :: iMountain.com Solar Powered Hosting - Same location for 20 years
    :: Clustered, HSphere, Webhosting, VPS, Dedicated and Luxury clusters
    :: Specializing in Database clustering and optimization for vBulletin, Joomla and Wordpress sites.