Joey Guest

Smile

Hi,

I am a reseller with a bunch of clients.
    I am thinking of getting a server by Alabanza but want your opinion.
    You see, I don't know anything about the server. I don't know how to secure it, set things up, etc.
    So.. does Alabanza do these things for me?
    Or not?
    Let's say someone wants a subdomain, will Alabanza show me how to do it, or do it for me? Or, am I stuck if I don't know?

Thanks!

Alabanza is pretty good about setting everything up. You can control your server through their front end, or you can telnet in and work via command line. In fact, you can control everything, from billing to new setups right from the GUI. Their support, from time to time, is somewhat slow, but they do go out of their way to give you a hand should you need it.

Joey,
    Write me offline, we may be able to work a deal where you don't have to worry about it and get all the features you want. We use Alabanza and love them.

Chris Marks
    KBS Web Hosting
    chris@netfronts.com

Joey Guest

Hi,
    Well, can you please answer these:
    1) Does Alabanza secure the server?
    2) If someone asks me a quest. and I don't know, will Alabanza answer it for me?
    3) Do I have to know any server set-up stuff?
    Basically, I want the reseller environment (where all I take care of is billing and support) while the host takes care of all the important stuff.
    However, I need cheaper prices than a reseller plan, thus a dedicated server.

Let me know if you have any answers to these questions!

Thanks!

Chicken Guest

I am guessing you haven't checked out Alabanza's dedicated server prices?

Joey Guest

Um, actually I did and they are cheaper than reselling.
    Remember that I already have a lot of clients.

Chicken Guest

ahhh, I wasn't sure how many a "bunch" were, and thought if you hadn't checked the prices, you'd be a bit surprised. I was. not completely unreasonable, but a bit higher than I expected.

Hello Joey,

Have you considered going with a Managed Server option rather than just a dedicated server? With *most* dedicated servers (and I do not really know where Alabanza fits in), tech support is not included.

There are a few companies that offer Managed Server solutions - where you rent the server, but also get all tech support and server administration included with it. The cost is generally a bit higher than a traditional dedicated server, but less than hiring your own SysAdmin.

There are several companies that are doing Managed Servers. My own company, Hosting Solutions (www.windowswebhost.com) offers Managed Servers on the Windows NT 4.0 platform only. HostPro (www.hostpro.com) offers Managed Servers on several platforms. There are other companies out there offering Managed Servers, but I can't recall them now.

Good luck,

Jason Ellis, CEO
    Hosting Solutions, Inc.

------------------
    Jason Ellis, CEO
    Hosting Solutions, Inc.
    www.windowswebhost.com
    Now offering Fully Managed Servers!

Joey,
    My servers are hosted through Alabanza and the control panel for the admin (you) is the best I've ever seen. It comes with a built in account manager. You can customize just about everything you can think of.

Their customer service is the best I've seen as well. Typically you get an answer the same day.

If you have any additional questions, please e-mail them to me.

------------------
    Mike Astin
    WebAuthorities
    sales@webauthorities.com