HTML to Wordpress?

Apologies in advance for the newbie question (I have a lot to learn!).

My company One Media Optical has a website that was written in HTML via Dreamweaver.

Basically, we want to have a website on wordpress.com with this domain name. Wordpress are offering us a 'Domain Mapping Upgrade'. Does this mean our HTML site will be turned into a format we can edit on wordpress?

Thanks,
    Paul

No. What you'd need for that is HTML to WordPress conversion.

Domain mapping on wordpress.com takes the "wordpress" out of your URL. So instead of it being yoursite.wordpress.com it would just be yoursite.com.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickCoder View Post
    No. What you'd need for that is HTML to WordPress conversion.

Domain mapping on wordpress.com takes the "wordpress" out of your URL. So instead of it being yoursite.wordpress.com it would just be yoursite.com.
    Ahh ok. Thanks for the info.

Would this be something you'd recommend I do myself via a HTML editor or can you recommend me a program/service?

Thanks

Just a note, if you plan on hiring someone, please use the employment section where members can contact you with offers.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Just a note, if you plan on hiring someone, please use the employment section where members can contact you with offers.
    Ok. My apologies.

If your site isn't too complex you can try doing the conversion yourself:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development
    https://thethemefoundry.com/blog/html-wordpress/

wordpress

If your website hanve 4-5 pages and its simple then you can do that easily.
    If you not have knowledge of HTML and PHP you can easily do that your self.
    Word press is basically design in PHP .
    You can create dynamic website using wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rouge View Post
    Apologies in advance for the newbie question (I have a lot to learn!).

My company One Media Optical has a website that was written in HTML via Dreamweaver.

Basically, we want to have a website on wordpress.com with this domain name. Wordpress are offering us a 'Domain Mapping Upgrade'. Does this mean our HTML site will be turned into a format we can edit on wordpress?

Thanks,
    Paul
    I think WordPress only provide you the interface and domain name you need to create your website again with WordPress tools. This procedure does not takes time.

The domain mapping means that when you open a Wordpress.com website, you can use an existing domain. More info on that here.

Having the existing design converted to Wordpress can be done. Depending on what your current code looks like, it should be fairly straightforward.

After doing the WP conversion though, ensure you thoroughly test all the functionality of your site. If it uses a lot of Javascript includes test it across all the major browsers as well.

Good luck!

HTML to WordPress are always fun projects. If you have a lot of content and ready for a redesign it is pretty straightforward. create 301 redirects to let the Search Engines know where your new content is located. If you have code, javascript or other features you will have to scrap the features and find substitutes or recode them. But being an HTML website that being a problem is miniscule.

HTML -> Wordpress is always "fun"

We had a few sites that needed to be converted so we went to market and got quotes. In the end the quotes, whilst affordadable, were what we considered a bit steep.

What we did, was to select one of the Wordpress themes that was "pretty close" (and usually we go for twentyeleven as the parent) in terms of layout etc and created a child theme. We imported the content, and just worked on the Child theme to get the layout and appearance as we needed it.

If you know a little CSS and have at least a basic understanding of Wordpress themes (and of course child themes) then such a transition can be done in a few hours. Yes, when we did this ourselves, added up the hours taken, it still worked out at around 1/3 the costs of outsourcing.