Apache page open to internet.

Hello,

I'm having issues making an apache page accessible over the internet.

Server: Ubuntu Server 11.10, Apache 2.2

I have registered a domain with dyn.com and have ddclient setup and seems to be working... (Externally i do a nslookup and shows my routers IP, ping does not work I thought it did once but unsure…)

Port forwarding is enabled on router pointing to server for port: 80..

No firewall enabled ATM.

I know the domain is linked to my server since I installed “Webmin” and can access “Webmin” fine externally via the domain name and the port.
    Have a virtual host enabled on Apache listening on port 80, the apache site is accessible via the intranet so without updating my host file on another PC the domain will work and open the index file.
    What do I need to do to make the site available on the internet…..????

Please let me know what information you require for trouble shooting…

Happy Regards,
    Ryan

It's possible your ISP is filtering port 80. One way to find out is to telnet on port 80 and observe the TCP protocol response (ex: RST) in Wireshark or a similar tool. Or you could just call them to find out.

Best
    UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Thumbs up Nice

Thanks... great advice im pretty sure this will be it since im with optus....

Didnt exspect this since other ISP's are more chilled...

I called Optus and they advised the only port blocked is port 25..... soooo guess not that.... any other suggesting???

Quote Originally Posted by lazyminion View Post
    I called Optus and they advised the only port blocked is port 25..... soooo guess not that.... any other suggesting???

Your router itself run's a server on port 80 (try another port 8080 is a common one!)

try accesing your router's internal ip in a web browser (you'll be prompted to login!)

try accessing that externally (using your routers external ip) you'll get nothing (it's a security feature in routers that aren't older than old)

but my point is port 80 is already being used so.... if you can change the port the routers web server sits on or... change your port forward to 80 > 8080

so your map would be

ubuntu ip: 80
    external ip: 8080

then that should work fine

joe
    www.JGwebhosting.co.uk - CPanel Control panel, domain registration, Reseller packages And 24X7 Technical support! - Now Taking in Hosting Refugee's

www.JGpcrepair.co.uk - Computer repair, New Systems, Software, Hardware

My router was already using port 8080 for remote access, also remote access was disabled... I enabled just to test if i could access the router with "mydomain".com:8080 and it worked fine...

Im pretty confused and frustrated....

UNIXy - Fully Managed Servers and Clusters - Established in 2006
    Server Management - Unlimited Servers. Unlimited Requests. One Plan!
    cPanel Varnish Plugin -- Seamless SSL Caching (Let's Encrypt, AutoSSL, etc)
    Slow Site or Server? Unable to handle traffic? Same day performance fix: joe@unixy

Annoying.... i guess ill have to call again to confirm and hope for a better person since the dude i got wasn't clear with much....

Or swap for business plan.......

Thanks guys

are you using XAMPP?
    By default, the access from internet is disabled in xampp configuration. Check it out!

Seriously it is more hassle than it is worth, pay less than a coffee and get onto a shared host, this will be far less than the cost of keeping a "server" running 24X7X365 in power alone. Even a modest 100W "server" is going to cost you about $0.70 a day to have turned on, so add it up, $20/mth or pay ~$5/mth for hosting.
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004

Optus is useless when it comes to technical support, I have called them in the past and they did not even understand what ports were
    l Dedigeeks Shared Wordpress Dedicated Established 2006
    l Leading AUSTRALIAN Hosting Provider Sydney & Melbourne Datacentres
    l cPanel/WHM R1Soft Backups 24/7/365 Support SMS Hosting Alerts*
    l www.dedigeeks.com Managing Director Service Superstars

No im using Apache.. i think it maybe my ISP blocking port 80 but the staff i end up with dont know..... I agree i dont think the staff i get know what ports are....

Well im currently keen on doing Unix server administration and learn to configure apache.... so im keen on setting up my own server as a learning bases... plus i want a web site to learn PHP and what not so i decided to link both the projects....