Namecheap - new interface

Namecheap was down for over 6 hours yesterday - and came back with a new interface. I like.

I think Richard is going to follow RegisterFly's lead and become an ICANN accredited registrar finally. Perhaps this new interface accomodates an upcoming transition away from eNom. Just my opinion.
    You may delay, but time will not. --- Benjamin Franklin

I have just checked it and do like it very much. Really well done Namecheap. It is more user friendly and just awesome.

Good Job
    Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Looks pretty straightforward. What I miss from it is the person pic
    that you see in many registrars' websites.

Other than that, it's looking good!

Originally posted by 4solutions
    I think Richard is going to follow RegisterFly's lead and become an ICANN accredited registrar finally. Perhaps this new interface accomodates an upcoming transition away from eNom. Just my opinion.

Is Richard the owner? I mainly hear from a "Jerry"

I love NameCheap, although their support sometimes has a habit of not quite answering whatever question I send. I have nearly a hundred domains with them now though, and I've shut down my accounts with almost every other registrar

I haven't tried the new interface out too much yet, but it seems nice.
    TrapZero Hosting
    Web, Forum, E-mail hosting and more for business and personal users. Accepting PayPal.

FMVperformance Automotive Communities

Originally posted by drhamad@t0host
    Is Richard the owner? I mainly hear from a "Jerry"
    It is my understanding that Richard Kirkendall
    is the owner of NameCheap and is a member of WHT under the handle: enetwork

I'm about to register with them....NOW!

Im just deciding on a domain name.

They were not sending any kind of notification in case of DNS record changes (i.e. if name servers are changed, etc.), which I believe is pretty important. Can someone please tell if they are providing this now (I can't login to my account right now)?

Thanks...

It's an alright design. I prefer the old, more full design.

www.namecheap.com

Im about to register...

Hah! Jerry G? Yea, Ive worked with him at a different company; .
    So are they ICANN accredited now? They will probably keep their prices the same, and just make more of a profit, eh?

Originally posted by MarkSNET
    So are they ICANN accredited now?
    Not yet... I'm extrapolating that that is the direction that they are headed.

It simply makes sense considering their customer base and their ability to implement an effective customer interface. In addition, Richard stated in a post that they were looking into acquiring one of the many ICANN accredited registrars.

I always thought namecheap had a very easy to use interface. I like it better than Enom, which does not work in Opera *shame*

I like the new design, and it looks like they made WhoisGuard a little more flexible with email forwarding also. I'm looking forward to their ICANN accreditation if they're planning to do that.

I don't think these changes are that significant, and to be honest I was expecting more security related changes.

Although the overall service is quite good at namecheap, I strongly believe that there are two important security problems, which needs/needed to be addressed immediately:

1. None of the changes on domains trigger notification e-mails. If someone hacks into your account, unlocks your domain and points it to some other site, you will have no idea, because NameCheap does not notify you at all... Furthermore, if someone changes the default contact e-mail, they dispatch a message via internal messaging for e-mail verification and I have no idea what value this brings. If someone hacks into your account, and changes your e-mail, he will already have access to this part (messaging) of the site, and again since you don't get any notification, you won't even notice this change, unless you check it explicitly!

I have used GoDaddy and Network Solutions, and both were warning you in case of domain setting changes. But, namecheap chose to ignore this for some reason...

2. At the page: https://www.namecheap.com/myaccount/login.asp , the "Remember Me" is checked by default. I have never seen a site on the internet that has this checked by default! For example, yahoo, gmail, msn, etc. all have this unchecked for some reason! This might seem unimportant, but if you are accessing your account from a public computer, it is easy to miss this by mistake, which might lead to serious problems.

In summary, I think security-wise, namecheap is quite weak, and this scares me!

dccabbar,

The email notifications feature is being worked on as we speak, along with an entire suite of new security features. We hope to have it implemented soon.

Regarding ICANN accredidation; It is pretty much a done deal. We simply need to tie a few loose strings here and there but that's about it.

If anyone has any concerns or issues with the new design, please feel free to send us an email. We are always willing to listen, take into consideration and implement any of our client's recommendations(we really do mean this when we say it).
    Richard Kirkendall
    NameCheap.com

I like the new design and once you guys become ICANN accredited I will be able to sleep better at night :-)

RossH,

May I ask why it is so important for you whether they are ICANN accredited or not? Don't you think ENOM has a very reliable DNS network and it is good to know that NameCheap's service is backed by a big/reliable company like Enom? Don't you think their DNS server quality won't be as good as Enom and quality of service will slightly detoriate?

BTW, if NameCheap becomes an ICANN accredited registrar, does this mean they will not use ENOM servers anymore for custom dns, etc?

Thanks...

I hope it means that they get a reseller program. I've just moved some domains from dotster to namecheap and am very impressed with their nice informative interface.

I hope they do become ICANN 'certified'. I really want to tranfer <i>all</i> of my domains over to them but need to get an .cc domain, and theirs (getting a .cc via NameCheap) is $8.93 more the lowest I can find....

Again, please post any updates

I think putting the prices for Whoisguard right on the homepage instead of buried further back in the links is an improvement.

I just registered the day before namecheap changed the site. I must say i like the new site and I love that I can use Pay Pal to buy domains. I will be purchasing all my domains from Namecheap from now on.
    Last edited by GOrner; 06-04-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Regarding ICANN accredidation; It is pretty much a done deal. We simply need to tie a few loose strings here and there but that's about it.
    How will the enom to namecheap transfer go? Will existing enom registrations stay there, and continue to be available via namecheap?

I have registerd 100+ names with namecheap since may 2005. I wish they reseller plan or some bulk discound

Namecheap is the best