Nightmare with Streamline - please help!

Hi,

I have a few websites hosted with Streamline and have been with them for ten years. They are all Wordpress hosted on a Linux server. Recently I've been having some real problems with my websites loading so after months of telling them about the performance issue they have finally told me they need to upgrade the server to PHP 5.4 from 5.2. To do this I have to back up my websites and this is where the problem begins. Unfortunately I am abroad and on mobile connection. Backing up my database is problematic, not least because I can never sustain a connection long enough to download the database. Also, I am confused as to why I am having to do this in the first place. I have never had to go through this before. Unfortunately I've no luck with using plugins to back up my database. I schedule a backup every week and am notified that it fails each time. When I check what it has backed up, the size varies greatly. I have attempted SSH but a) I don't understand it and b) I can't seem to log in to my server using it, but that's an issue for me to deal with separately.

Also, for the second year running Streamline has billed me and debited my account twice. I have raised three support tickets with them and they are being ignored.

Questions:

- is it normal that the user (me) has to manually back up my database before each server upgrade?

- is there a service that will back-up and transfer my entire website, database and all, and move it to another host?

- what other host services do people recommend?

- would I be in a position to ask for my money back?

- Is there some kind of tribunal program available to people like me stuck in this situation?

I'm sorry if these questions are a bit vague or if I've omitted useful information. Please let me know if there is anything else I need to provide in order to get a solution to these problems. I'm at my wit's end.

- is it normal that the user (me) has to manually back up my database before each server upgrade?

As the user you are normally expected to manage your own backups, although the host may advertise automated backups say every 24hrs, if you look at the terms of service - the end user is responsible for managing there backups.

- is there a service that will back-up and transfer my entire website, database and all, and move it to another host?

Many web hosts offer a free migration service

I use SimplexWebs.com - there support is fantastic and server speed is amazing, thanks to there SSD technology, however they are pricey.

I wouldn't say so, what payment term have you used? If its yearly plan then mosts hosts will refund the remaining time (so if you pay $120 a year and you have 3 months until renewal you will get $36 back) - but this really depends on the host.

- Is there some kind of tribunal program available to people like me stuck in this situation?

No. It's best to discuss the situation with you host, don't use forums like WHT to vent your frustration. Ask for your tickets to be escalated to the support/billing manager and get them to review your case.
    Follow me on Twitter: @conrjac

Hi demonboy - and welcome.

I'm amazed that they're updating from 5.2 to 5.4. The two supported versions of PHP are 5.4 and 5.5. 5.3 has now been dropped as well. There's a major risk that 5.2 has some serious security flaws in it, so I'm really surprised they're still using it.

I'll have a go at your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    No, it's not. They should take care of the upgrade properly, having done the same process on a test server before performing it on a live server. They should also take their own backups before beginning, so that they can restore things if they need to, without troubling you for your own backup.

That said, almost every host has a policy that you are responsible for your own backups. Even if they take their own backups, you're in charge of making sure you have one that is current. Them prompting you that they're doing this upgrade is a good prompt to make sure you have a backup.

Never mind, for now, the Wordpress backup plugins. You can download the files for your website (the content of your html / public_html / whatever it's called directory), and you can use phpMyAdmin to download the database(s).

Your best bet is to find another host who will do this for you. Many hosts will gladly migrate your data to their service, and not charge you for it.

Just to beware as you look for a host: Some hosts only do this when the control panel you're on is the same as the one they use. The most popular panel is cPanel, and I don't think Streamline use cPanel. So you should e-mail your prospective new host, let them know you use Steamline, and check if they'll still migrate you for free.

There are lots of good hosts out there. There are also lots of bad ones. Beware of any who appear too good to be true - offering you loads of space (several hundred GB or more) for just a few pounds a month. Always contact a host before signing up, and ask them a few questions. Always search for real reviews (on here) first. Always pay monthly to begin with - you can always save by paying annually once you know things are working out.

Sadly not. Many hosts have a money-back guarantee that lasts for the first 7 / 14 / 30 or 60 days of service. But not when you've been with them as long as you have.

That said, the double-billing problem should certainly be refundable. If they won't do it, you can contact your card-issuing company. But do not go that route until you have found a new host and you're safely moved. Otherwise, it often happens that the host cuts you off the minute you open a dispute with the card company.

Not that I'm aware of. There's no industry-standard ombudsman, equivalent to what you get for telecoms etc. Unless their site says they're part of some arbitration scheme, then there isn't.

Good luck moving forwards.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Sounds to me like they don't know what the hell they are talking about, You are talking about streamline.net aren't you OP? I used them back when I was about 13. I ordered hosting with my mum and they double charged her, they weren't helpful either. Useless idiots they was. Anyway you shouldn't backup, and to upgrade to 5.2, you don't need to do anything either for god sake they make it sound like hard work.

Depending on the control panel, most hosts will transfer you to them for free, and help you get back online. I recommend FreshRostedHosting and crocweb, good luck.

Edit, yep you are talking about the twits at streamline.net just saw the tags.

Thank you both for your replies, appreciated. I am currently dloading via phpMyAdmin (of course I have an older version installed!) and will investigate other host companies. I'm not looking for lightening speed, just consistent uptime and decent customer support.

Its seems a lot of issues you are facing. I would recommend to build a backup server in case any thing goes wrong on their end. If you are having cPanel or Plesk try build a backup of your data from your mobile. If you have blackberry or andriod or Apple . Install a remotecmd application to access ssh from mobile to your new backup server and get all the backup files to your new server.
    ⓐ➒AlphaNine
    Shared hosting | cPanel/WHM reseller | KVM VPS | Dedicated Servers | SSL | VoIP | Management |
    99.9% uptime | 24/7 Support | Easy Control Panels | Operating Since 2000 |

Vini- I don't think the OP has SSH access to the server.

The fact is, Steamline.net should never have left them in the lurch like this. They just need to find a new host that will better serve their needs.
    Not as active on WHT as I used to be, but still drop in and receive email notifications from here.
    My personal blog site: https://www.oakleys.org.uk/blog

Thanks to the rest of you too. I did reply to your post, Mike, but it didn't go through (something about me having to make five or more posts?). Anyway, cheers all. Still surveying recommended hosts, btw, so open to more suggestions. I've got in touch with Croc and Fresh.

Thanks to the rest of you too. I did reply to your post, Mike, but it didn't go through (something about me having to make five or more posts?). Anyway, cheers all. Still surveying recommended hosts, btw, so open to more suggestions. I've got in touch with Croc and Fresh.
    Haha might be too many images or quoting not sure, and good luck. Streamline are awful like fasthosts & 1and1.