Hybrid View

I just found a flea in my home and I have no pets

I was sitting at my desk, and I noticed a small black speck on my foot. I went to swipe it away, and it jumped. I have no pets, and even when I did, it was easy to get rid of them permanently.

I just moved into this house in Ohio. Does anyone know why I might have fleas? I always thought they need hairy pets on which to live and feed. I can handle houseflies, ants and other household pests, but fleas cross the line over to filthy vermin.

Most likely the people who lived before you had pets. That's the only way I could think of.

Fleas are attacking you, The attack of the fleas

As chris says, The residents before you might of had pets, Even your next door neighbours might have pets thats making fleas jimp to your house, They love carpets the little buggas!

Actually, you don't have to have pets to have fleas. If you're close to a cluster of treas or an open grassy field, that could also be the cause of it. You might want to pick up some flea bomb spray and do that, read the directions on the can IF you go that route.
    Doug Hazard - "retired" Web Hosting Master
    * Full Stack (Web/WP) Dev for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond (160+ sites)
    * Sports Photographer, Media Personality and CFB Historian
    * Tech Admin for several Sports Networks/Sites

Does this mean they are taking up residence, to feed and lay eggs, in my home or are they more likely just passing through? I always thought fleas cluster around furry/hairy animals and stick to them as closely as possible. I just don't want to start finding little white egg specks all over the place.

that includes you
    http://www.placervillevet.com/flea_life_cycle.htm
    You'll need to spray your house
    zaax

Most pet experts will tell you the worst place in the world to let your pets go is into Monkey Grass. For some reason they pick Monkey Grass as breeding grounds. Any of that around your house is a very big source. There is stuff at Petsmart you can spray on your carpet to kill them and eggs. Probably best to have an exterminater come through though. Let them know you saw some fleas and they can help you out.

Just for info if you do get pets and you see fleas on them wash them in Lemon Joy, will kill everyone of the buggers and their eggs on your pet.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

If you have no pets the fleas shouldnt last too long... if I remember my biology classes correctly, fleas will die unless they get ANIMAL blood as food, human blood is no good...

Its been awhile, but I think that is the case.
    SkyLineHost.com
    ▓ ▓ Shared hosting that soars above the competition
    ▓ ▓ ▓ Based in Los Angeles. sales@skylinehost.com

As I have heard, they probably hop on you just outside the house and hitch a ride in. I wouldn't go to the extreme of bombing the house because you saw one flea. You might want to do some treatment for your yard.

If you keep seeing them then you have an infestation. For now, I personally would do nothing and wait to see if I see more.
    Bob
    The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.
    - African Proverb

Just pray you don't get bitten somewhere where you can't scratch it *cough* That happned to me once, it was tourcher

My auntie's dog was covered in flea's the other day, they wondered where he had caught them, apparently they found a dead fox in there garden later that day.

If you live in a semi-detach or a normal street, then the fleas can travel through the buioldings. It happened to a friend of mine, he didn't even have a pet and it infestred his hous4e.

Soirry, had a few too manyb dtrinks...
    BTi-Hosting.co.uk High quality hosting, low low prices.
    One step ahead of the competition - Today IS tomorrow.
    FraudWise.Net - Fight the fraud!

Fleas, the gift that keep on giving.

FYI, they can live in the dirt outside your home. You may want to spray your yard.

If you decide to use a flea bomb inside, be sure to follow the directions. People around these parts blow up their homes all the time by using too many at one time.