Exclamation Recommend instead of R1Soft Idera Server Backup

As all know Idera Server Backup is not quite good for backing up cPanel servers and they are releasing products that are not well tested causing servers to crash.

What do you recommend changing to?
    Bacula? Storegrid ?

We just use S3, its easy and cheap enough. Have this week started monthly archives in Glacier, even cheaper.
    hostingcove.com | Tennessee Based Hosting Provider.
    cPanel Shared & Reseller Hosting - Domain Names
    Join thousands of happy customers. Secure & Stable
    HeroicVPS Premium KVM VPS. Ashburn / Phoenix

We use Bacula and we're pretty happy with it

Been looking more and more at storegrid lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin-HostAtom View Post
    got any feedback on this solution? they look quite promising.. more options is better for everyone and will absolutely drive innovation, etc

Quote Originally Posted by HC-Ro View Post
    We just use S3, its easy and cheap enough. Have this week started monthly archives in Glacier, even cheaper.
    thats a cool solution for long term storage, etc - but, not sure thats a solution customers would be happy with over the long haul. You will have challenges without end user restore capability (imagine processing 1000's of file/db requests per day). Also, lacking the ability to BMR a server in a reasonable timeframe will eventually kill you in SLA credits alone and will likely cost you more then you are trying to save
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin-HostAtom View Post
    We've been using it now for 4 months or so, works great. We control the main backups & allow users access to restore their backups.

A lot of people are switching to bacula4hosts...
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian

Quote Originally Posted by CanSpace View Post
    A lot of people are switching to bacula4hosts...
    I find setting and configuring it a bit complex and their website is not very straight forward in terms on information as well. ersonal Opinion:
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Quote Originally Posted by PromptSpace-Kushal View Post
    I find setting and configuring it a bit complex and their website is not very straight forward in terms on information as well. ersonal Opinion:
    Bacula4hosts is still in beta, so you can expect it to be a bit rough around the edges. But, development is moving along quickly and the backup process is pretty simple once you learn the process and terminology. Its really not that much to learn, its just different if you are coming from r1soft or any other system probably.

As a beta user, I think its very promising.. While the web interface and docs still need improvement, the best thing is that the underlying backup technology (Bacula) is robust, well-tested, and has great performance.

I've been giving Crashplan pro a test with their free trial and so far it seems to work well on Windows and Linux setups. It's $7/mo per box, but has unlimited storage and the GUI web interface is great.
    -Ryan K
    Quality Minecraft hosting at a price you can afford!
    Managed Dedicated and VPS hosting.
    evlbox.com

Whats the main reason people dont just use the in house backup feature of cPanel? I have never seen any issues with it besides being a slight hog on resources if you have a load up server, going to incremental backups usually helps a lot though.

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy222 View Post
    I've been giving Crashplan pro a test with their free trial and so far it seems to work well on Windows and Linux setups. It's $7/mo per box, but has unlimited storage and the GUI web interface is great.
    Can Crash Plan backup a cPanel server? I could not find this on their web site. Thanks, Dave
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Also, I am taking a very close look at bacula4hosts. Looks very promising. I wold like to hear any reports from current users of bacula4hosts. I have one dedicated server I would like backed up. More for bare metal restore than cpanel client restores, but I guess I could have bacula do that instead of the cpanel backup. Hmmmm.
    CapeWP.com
    CapeWP.com - WordPress for all of us

Have you taken a look at cpremote? Looks promising and uses the rsync technology.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

Have you taken a look at cpremote? Looks promising and uses the rsync technology.
    cpremote is a really nice solution.. the problem of course is that its just for cpanel (which addresses Daves requirement) and it does not accommodate BMR (which doesnt address a pretty key requirement)

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Dave View Post
    Also, I am taking a very close look at bacula4hosts. Looks very promising.
    thanks Dave

I have one dedicated server I would like backed up. More for bare metal restore than cpanel client restores, but I guess I could have bacula do that instead of the cpanel backup. Hmmmm.
    correct. using our cpanel module, end users - from within their cpanel interface - can restore any file or DB or DB table (mysql and/or pgsql). You can of course BMR the server if ever required and you can go P2V (physical to virtual) or V2P (virtual to physical) if required when BMR'ing

cpanel backups arent needed in this scenario and often times providers will turn them off when using bacula4hosts as the resource cost for cpanel backups is MUCH higher then bacula4hosts. Other providers use both
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by SolaDrive View Post
    Whats the main reason people dont just use the in house backup feature of cPanel? I have never seen any issues with it besides being a slight hog on resources if you have a load up server, going to incremental backups usually helps a lot though.
    1) It offers no offsite capability using their incremental method.

2) Its generally a big resource hog.

3) Its lacking end-user restore capability by default.
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

cPremote works great. Will check bacula4hosts when the stable version has been released.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    cPremote works great. Will check bacula4hosts when the stable version has been released.
    thanks - we look forward to working with you

really, we could already have launched a stable version - but, after personally suffering through other solutions marketed as "stable", while clearly still being a beta product - we made the decision to have a prolonged beta program and only launch as stable when we have a specific feature set perfected and proven to be stable and operating how we envision it to operate...
    www.cartika.com

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    we could already have launched a stable version - but, after personally suffering through other solutions marketed as "stable", while clearly still being a beta product - we made the decision to have a prolonged beta program and only launch as stable when we have a specific feature set perfected and proven to be stable and operating how we envision it to operate...
    Sounds good. Will keep checking for news.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow View Post
    cPremote is cheap and that's it, they'll have to go a long way before we consider them again. Keeping an eye on Andrew's solution for quite some time now, keep it going!

Quote Originally Posted by cartika-andrew View Post
    really, we could already have launched a stable version - but, after personally suffering through other solutions marketed as "stable", while clearly still being a beta product - we made the decision to have a prolonged beta program and only launch as stable when we have a specific feature set perfected and proven to be stable and operating how we envision it to operate...
    It would be nice if more companies had that attitude. A lot of backup solutions look good on the surface, but are a mess underneath.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

Quote Originally Posted by httpEasy View Post
    they'll have to go a long way before we consider them again.
    Why?

It does exactly what it says on the tin nothing more nothing less...
    UK Based Proactive Server Management.
    Zabbix Enterprise 24/7 Monitoring.

Arrow Idera / Bacula / Storegrid

Well, after alot of pressure and posting these problems with R1Soft they made a new version (5.02). That helped on some issues but unfortunately it's just useless now cause it uses all cpu on our servers.

We tested Storegrid a few years ago, but gave R1Soft (Idera) a second chance. Maybee it's time to give Storegrid a chance again

We have also been looking at Bacula4Hosts but will probably wait before it's "stable".
    Andrew: You run a hosting business and a backup business?

If your a serious hosting company backup software needs to be able to do a BMR and users need to be able to restore files/mysql themselves.

If your a serious hosting company backup software needs to be able to do a BMR and users need to be able to restore files/mysql themselves.
    completely agree. BMR is essential - though usually people dont realize the need for this for a few years and until they start having some aging hardware

without self service end user restore, things would be a complete mess. I know our customers do anywhere from 2000-10000 self service restores a day of their data. Could you imagine the support load if even a fraction of this if it came through the helpdesk !

Quote Originally Posted by Floffy View Post
    Andrew: You run a hosting business and a backup business?

yes, we have run a hosting business for 10+ years. around 2 years ago we became unsatisfied with our backup vendor and decided there was no other adequate solution to meet our needs. so, we built our own and took it to market. As time is going on though, we are seeing a larger separation in the companies with respect to resources and management structures - and I would expect that to continue...

why the confused emoticon though?? I guess we could have hid the connection, but, I didnt see the point

this isnt exactly unusual and is how many vendors in this industry came into being

think voxel with ubersmith. rackspace was/is critical in the development of openstack. flexiant was a hosting company first, built a cloud platform and now sell FCO to providers. elastichosts has also built a cloud deployment platform and now sell that as a solution. bluehost developed betterlinux, etc, etc..

this industry is so specialized, and there is a lack of vendors that develop great products for this industry - its usually hosting providers themselves that have done the most to innovate in this space and deliver solutions for this space based on their experiences and challenges they were able to resolve through innovative thinking and strategic re-investment of funds into strategic problem solving
    www.cartika.com