Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's your dedicated server host, and are you happy with them?

I am doing research as to what dedicated hosting company to choose, and thought it would be good to have a thread where everyone could post their ded. server host and what they like/dislike about them.

Since I have had bad experiences so far - I am trying to find the best.
    Joel McLaughlin - Cheap Web Hosting

15minuteservers and GNAX: very satisfied with both.
    It's time to kick back, pop in a From Autumn to Ashes CD, and relax.....

SeverMatrix/theplanet - only DC or reseller like layeredtech for me. my rule of thumb on reseller is if they only offer paypal or wiretransfer...it's a big no no with me. i only pay with CC.

i've been with SM since 8/04. only one downtime and nothing else. i'll order another server from SM as soon as they got something on sale. SM support and sale inquiry are pretty fast and nice. i don't have problem with SM support.

The Planet - About 6 months now. Great support. Awesome uptime and fast replied to tickets. Had an emergency issue at 3:00AM once, what a great relief to be able to pick up the phone to speak to a tech. The Planet is one of the best providers in my opinion. Great 100% SLA.

LiquidWeb - Great support as well. Very fast server and support is also only a phone call away.

Superb - Great uptime. Been with them 3 months and not one instance of unannounced downtime (scheduled maintenance). Very fast support (usually under 1 hour response times) and they also offer a 100% SLA.

All in all very satisfied with all 3 providers. These are the data centers we will continue to use for production servers.

best of luck
    BliksemHosting.com || WEBHOST MAGAZINE & BUYER'S GUIDE Editors' Choice for Reseller Hosting
    *Exceptional Service & Uptime || True 24/7 Support & End-User Support || Industry Leading SLA
    *Shared --> Reseller --> Semi-Dedicated --> CO-OP --> VPS --> Dedicated
    *Fully Scalable --- We're the last host you'll need

sm, there great, support helps with anything

Burst Net : For all Mission Critical works. Their support is realy 100000 times better then any other company and all guys are very gentle and co-operative. I haven't had any issues with them for more then 5-6 hours till now.

FDC Servers : For best deals for bandwidth + We can bargain for mega deals , Just enough support , no head ache about bandwidth over usage and etc etc..

Managed.Com : For cheap and best hardware , 100% uptime for months , Non-Mission critcal works as their support is not fast enough if we get into trouble.

fdcservers going on 3 years....

Re: Who's your dedicated server host, and are you happy with them?

Originally posted by DataFlurry.com
    I am doing research as to what dedicated hosting company to choose, and thought it would be good to have a thread where everyone could post their ded. server host and what they like/dislike about them.

Since I have had bad experiences so far - I am trying to find the best.
    Dear DataFlurry,

Heres some tips if your ever going too choose a hosting provider.

I extremely discourage the use of Burst.

They are unable too compile a kernel that works for there own hardware
    on a debian system they setup.

They are unable too configure and test grub too make sure they box
    actually boots with the proper default kernel.

But they are great in the things you do get ie 25% packet loss.

20hours of downtime between a mis-configure kernel and grub, from there sys admins

They do not answer emails, they say that sometimes emails just go missing, which there ceo said

When your server is down and offline expect 6hr delays.

They avoid giving you answers and just say how you complain and whine,
    yes sure, but thats what you get when a server is down for 20hours!

But apart from there lack of communications from there support,
    they are a great provide *coughs*

Think twice, before choosing a provider

Dear DataFlurry,

Beware of Kids. Half knowledge is always dangerous.

You can belive any well experienced people .
    You must not belive the person who is hearing about linux OS first time in life.

We had a server with burst for a period of 3 or 4 months. Their network had packet loss that lasted for 3 weeks. After that, their network was down for 3 days. That's right, three whole days. That's not what I call a datacenter to host mission critical stuff.

I never used The Planet but searching the board, you will see that not so long ago all of their connections were maxed out. They waited on the last minute before upgrading.

We have had good experience with Superb as well as Voxel.

3 Days Burst NET down?.

Impossible. May be only yours is Down due to any reasons. All my boxes are running smoothly as usual there. Yes.. Just in this week some 10-20 minutes network down was there in different days. Burst Net already informed everyone about this network outage ( planned outage ). Iloogix, Did you inform this matter to BurstNET?. They are so kind enough they will give compensation( Or adjustment in next month charges) if you faced problems like this.

When you guys talk about superb, I am guessing it is http://www.superbinternet.com ? I have seen more than one superb so I want to make sure. Also any thoughts no EV1 and anyone used http://www.calpop.com/ ?
    Joel McLaughlin - Cheap Web Hosting

Originally posted by illogix
    We had a server with burst for a period of 3 or 4 months. Their network had packet loss that lasted for 3 weeks. After that, their network was down for 3 days. That's right, three whole days. That's not what I call a datacenter to host mission critical stuff.

I never used The Planet but searching the board, you will see that not so long ago all of their connections were maxed out. They waited on the last minute before upgrading.

When did you have boxes there?

Do you know anything about burst because the last big outage they had was not 3 days...

Man you and the other guy who fillup WHT with these crazy post about burst should be banned. Now matter where I go it's always you 2 guys keep saying the same thing, and also have double post everywhere... GROW UP

You should watch what you say. Those childish words won't take you anywhere.

Here is the thread:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ght=burst+ctsi

Burst was down for 3 days. There are 1980 replies to that thread so I was not the only one affected.

BTW, this is my first post about Burst.
    Last edited by illogix; 12-02-2004 at 09:56 PM.

I'm with simply the best... 15minuteservers.

This sounds like an up an coming hosting company:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=348703

I'm happy - I have servers with ServerMatrix/The Planet since Aug 03. I got 4 new servers in Dec 03, and just put in orders for 2 more servers. They have the best all around quality for the price. If you want to pay excessive rates, you can get rackspace, but the support is only slightly better. IMO it doesn't justify paying 2x more. (I had servers with rackspace for 1 year before moving to SM/TP.)

I'll grade the 2 for you (I can't help it- I'm a teacher ):

ServerMatrix/The Planet -
    PRICE = A
    SUPPORT = B+

Rackspace -
    PRICE = C
    SUPPORT = A-

As for their network uptime, I can't tell a difference. They both are very good.

Originally posted by illogix

theplanet didn't max out their bandwdith. it was a router at fault. vendor told them something about the router but it didn't work for theplanet.

i've a server with SM/theplanet and i can tell you the downtime was no more than 5hrs.

Originally posted by strainer
    This sounds like an up an coming hosting company:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=348703
    yep that seems like a good one

Originally posted by DataFlurry.com
    When you guys talk about superb, I am guessing it is http://www.superbinternet.com ? I have seen more than one superb so I want to make sure. Also any thoughts no EV1 and anyone used http://www.calpop.com/ ?
    I've had three servers from EV1, where one obviously had broken hardware. Other than that theyve been great (fastest support ive seen so far)

Now im using ServerMatrix and DedicatedNow and ive only got good things to say about them too. Ofcourse there have occasionally been odd things happening but nothing serious, they both reply to tickets fast.

I can highly recommend GNAX (tranxactglobal)

Very reliable, and support is great...they are patient and will work with you on anything

i'm using resellerworkz.com ( my first dedicated server ), real Fully Manage, and always respond my ticket within 30 mins ! Super support !
    ServerVina.com | Sales@servervina.com
    YM: servervina | AIM: servervina
    Lowest prices for Unmetered and Metered bandwidth.

Originally posted by tommyquang
    i'm using resellerworkz.com ( my first dedicated server ), real Fully Manage, and always respond my ticket within 30 mins ! Super support !
    i agree 100%.

GNAX / Tranxactglobal: Great uptime and fast response. However the speed wasn't good for Hong Kong visitor..so then moved

Superb: Used for a month then moved since it was really lag

LayeredTech: Currently I am still with them, fast and stable
    Last edited by waikit86; 12-04-2004 at 04:13 AM.
    Proudly hosting your creativities!
    Yupapa Web Services Rental Server!!

Originally posted by waikit86
    GNAX: Great uptime and fast response. However the speed wasn't good for Hong Kong visitor..so then moved

Superb: Used for a month then moved since it was really lag

Savvis: currently I am still with them, fast and stable
    Once again, your not using savvis; you are using layeredtech.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast