Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    OK, but you also know that this example could be rewritten in PHP to produce exactly the same code-length.

I won't rewrite the example, but you get my point. What about actual classes and code required to achieve the same result? From what you wrote, Python seems interesting but not that much because so far I can achieve exactly the same in PHP.
    I'm always open to suggestions, if you show me (us) a real-world example where it'd take me 10 minutes to do it with PHP and let's say 6-7 minutes with Python - I'm your man

Re the PHP example - bearing in mind that I dredged it up from the long departed past, I won't at all be surprised to find a better XMLRPC implementation available these days, or better techniques.

So, I'm up for the challenge but we have to figure out the ground rules. Shall we, for example, allow for use of any library - standard or otherwise? I think where possible we should stick to the standard language and library, but not avoid going elsewhere if it helps to underscore an important point.

We should try to find some interesting real world examples. Bet it'll be useful and informative for lots of folks. And I hope Java fans play too
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

OK, let's use standard language packages and libraries. Common tasks when building a website is for example uploading files and fetching some data from a database table. It's also not something that takes a lot of coding so I guess we can create a few examples of handling file uploads and doing some database interaction.

We can agree upon db scheme for db table(s) and take it from there. What do you say?

Sounds fine. Lets stay away from web output itself since with Python there are a zillion and one approaches to that. We might include an XML example of some sort too. Probably should try to show JSON handling as well since its rapidly becoming ubiquitous on Ajax apps.

I don't really want to limit the flow of information - and in some cases avoiding non-standard libraries will do that. Maybe for examples where it makes sense we can also show off our favourite libary's method of dealing with the same. For example, I'll show bare bones Python DB API access to SQL data; and then show SQL Alchemy or SQLObject doing the same task. In other words, show the base line and then show what most people are doing...

Feel free to pick a DB schema. I've got no preferences - something with a few relations at least.

Perhaps we should start a new thread too and keep it going awhile in our copious spare time...

That link is a little on the old side these days although I see its been updated with some PHP 5 info - clearly its catching up.

Here's an interesting but too simple comparison of PHP, Ruby, Python and a host of others using a number reversal game. Doesn't show off much in the way of language features though.

http://e-scribe.com/news/193

I started a new thread for this comparison: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=562380

I started with PHP and tried ASP just not as easy for me as PHP.
    I personally think PHP is better, in some ways or another.

Quote Originally Posted by truz
    ASP is very costly and it also runs on windows platform which is not the best operating system for security and does seem to take there time in patching security flaws.

It also runs in Linux. Check out http://www.sun.com/software/chilisoft/.

Quote Originally Posted by acidhoss
    It also runs in Linux. Check out http://www.sun.com/software/chilisoft/.
    It does not run as advertised in Linux. Yes, it runs, but
    A> it's costly
    B> it does not run as advertised

There have been many issues with Chilisoft over the years. Unfortunately ASP is designed for only one platform
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Didn't say it worked. Just showed that it's not just for Windows :-)

It's a given it's not going to work anyway...ports from Windows to linux are notoriously buggy and as you said, don't work as advertised.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234