Beginner seeking advice

Well first off I have to say that i'm a real beginner when it comes to hosting, so I wanted to make a smart choice for my first host provider. What i want is to set up my blog and in the future my portfolio. Now i have a couple of questions:

-I've seen features like Unlimited domains, this means I can have more than 1 site in the same account right?
    -I plan to run my blog permanently, so what would be a good way to order a service monthly or by year?

A friend told me about a few providers: Imhosted, Dreamhost, HostGator. Some sites provide mixed reviews, some users have no problem and others seem to get the short end of the stick. Any reviews about them that are imparcial?
    Maybe you can suggest a provider that's relatively cheap. In terms of storage and bandwith I liked the Imhosted plan, they provide a lot of space in case I wanted to run another site, well I assume I can do that.

Thanks for your time, as you can see I'm a beginner in all of this, but your help would be very much appreciated.

Hey buddy,

>-I've seen features like Unlimited domains, this means I can have more than 1 site in the same account right?
    >> Yep, that's correct

>-I plan to run my blog permanently, so what would be a good way to order a service monthly or by year?
    >> It depends on the host, if they are popular and you trust them go yearly, if not, go monthly (you can always pay by a year later)

Hope I helped
    Shaun
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win."

Quote Originally Posted by FISHKINZ View Post
    Hey buddy,

>-I've seen features like Unlimited domains, this means I can have more than 1 site in the same account right?
    >> Yep, that's correct

>-I plan to run my blog permanently, so what would be a good way to order a service monthly or by year?
    >> It depends on the host, if they are popular and you trust them go yearly, if not, go monthly (you can always pay by a year later)

Hope I helped
    Yeah man thanks for the answers, I also checked out bluehost, any comments about em?

I personally haven't used them, I have heard bad things and good things about them though, as you do with any other host.
    Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Rokurosv View Post
    Yeah man thanks for the answers, I also checked out bluehost, any comments about em?
    Search this forum...you will get loads of reviews about them. You may be surprised with what you find.

Well first off I have to say that i'm a real beginner when it comes to hosting, so I wanted to make a smart choice for my first host provider. What i want is to set up my blog and in the future my portfolio. Now i have a couple of questions:

-I've seen features like Unlimited domains, this means I can have more than 1 site in the same account right?
    -I plan to run my blog permanently, so what would be a good way to order a service monthly or by year?

A friend told me about a few providers: Imhosted, Dreamhost, HostGator. Some sites provide mixed reviews, some users have no problem and others seem to get the short end of the stick. Any reviews about them that are imparcial?
    Maybe you can suggest a provider that's relatively cheap. In terms of storage and bandwith I liked the Imhosted plan, they provide a lot of space in case I wanted to run another site, well I assume I can do that.

Thanks for your time, as you can see I'm a beginner in all of this, but your help would be very much appreciated.
    To be on the safe side, it's best if you order a service by monthly first. Have a try for the first month and you will know whether the provider suits you or not.

As for bluehost or any provider, check on the reviews. Ultimately, you still need to try. What's not good for others might turn out to be good for you.
    SEO Explained in Video | The SEO Experts that increase your website traffic. Here you go: SEO

Yep I've read a couple of reviews about some of the providers and they have cleared some of my doubts, now i know which ones aren't suitable for me. I'm think of trying GeekStorage, the prices seem nice. We'll see. Thanks for the answers guys.

As a common law, try to avoid those hosts that seems that offer too much for a too low price, if you find a Ferrari for $2k you'll suspect that something it's wrong with it, use the same rule with hosting too.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito View Post
    As a common law, try to avoid those hosts that seems that offer too much for a too low price, if you find a Ferrari for $2k you'll suspect that something it's wrong with it, use the same rule with hosting too.
    Yeah 2.5TB storage and bandwith seems a little unreal for $6-$9 a month. Now 5GB/125GB BW seems more reasonable for $5 mo. Emmm just out of curiosity, why do they advertise these rates if they can't really fulfill them?

It's called overselling, they sell more than they have
    Personally, I hate it and don't do it
    Shaun

Avoid ImHosted

Avoid Imhosted, my site is currently hosted with them and it has been like hell for the last few days, worst still, their support never replies.

Yeah 2.5TB storage and bandwith seems a little unreal for $6-$9 a month. Now 5GB/125GB BW seems more reasonable for $5 mo. Emmm just out of curiosity, why do they advertise these rates if they can't really fulfill them?
    They want to get your business... they know you won't use so much space.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Quote Originally Posted by twente View Post
    Avoid Imhosted, my site is currently hosted with them and it has been like hell for the last few days, worst still, their support never replies.
    It's time to leave. There are many other hosts out there 100 times more caring & better.
    Affordable Managed Hosting Solutions for Professional & Business since 2001
    Mxhub.com - Global : USA - UK - Canada - Europe - Asia Pacific

Ok.

Generally yes, but there is always a *real* limit and it depends on how "heavy" or resource intensive your sites are and how loaded or overloaded the server you are on is. It can be hard to judge this so don't plan on hosting more than a few sites on a shared hosting plan realistically. (Others may say I'm wrong, go for it!)

My advice on this subject is always to order monthly for 2~3 months to test the waters and see how support and uptime is. There are always things that you won't know until you're an actual customer and you don't want to be "locked in" if you decide to "run" to another host. After the 2~3 months if you are satisfied then you can order a year or two up front but keep in mind that is a long time and things can change.

Most of the reviews on these forums are impartial, or at least as impartial as you are going to find. I've used HostGator and they were not bad but not fantastic either - I'd say they were about average as far as things go.

As for the other two providers, I've never used them so I can't really comment either way. You also need to keep in mind that an unhappy customer is much more likely to find review sites and post their story than a happy one!

The only providers I can recommend myself are HostGator, JaguarPC, and CrystalTech as I've had a positive experience at all three providers, but they may not be for you. Just because I say a host is good (for me) does not mean that it will be the right host for you.

It's no problem, we all started somewhere and at least you came here to ask for advice before just "taking the plunge."
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.