Arrow MySQL expert needed for Database move

Hello all!
    I'm looking for a MySQL *expert* for a database "move" I need.

I have an old site that runs on an old Auctions script.
    They came out with a new version of the Auctions script but changed the way the database works and handles information in some places.

So it's not just a simple database *move* - it's a database move that needs to be properly done considering the way the new info is handled.

I know that's not much information, but if you'd let me know what else you may need to give me a quote on the job, I'll be glad to provide it.

Please reply with your qualifications and experience. Like I mentioned, I'd rather a seasoned expert do this rather than a newbie for the simple fact that I want it done *right*.

U.S.-based programmer preferred. Nothing against India, mind you, just trying to keep my fellow Americans on the upswing economically.

Terry

Did the script provider provide an upgrade script to assist in changing the database?

Quote Originally Posted by kvnband View Post
    Did the script provider provide an upgrade script to assist in changing the database?
    No. What I did was a fresh install of their new script and database set up.
    The database is set up, it's just not populated. And populated correctly.

There is *some* documention but not much.

Terry

If you can provide documentation I can look into.

Quote Originally Posted by FirmbIT View Post
    If you can provide documentation I can look into.
    My old version is 2.0
    My new version is 3.2

They only have upgrade instructions for 2.0 to 2.5
    http://www.phpauction.net/manuals/xl_20_25_upgrade/

And (like they note) - I'm using a modified version of 2.0 (because the code was sooooo crappy) so the typical script upgrade they have *can't* be used.

This upgrade instruction contains very little useful info except the "Important Notes" section:
    Auctions and users IDs: the auctions and users IDs are know incremental integer numbers. The MD5 hashes IDs used in Phpauction XL 2.0 will be converted to integer numbers.

Picture Gallery Folders: under the uploaded/ directory, the directories containing the pictures uploaded to the galleries will be renamed to reflect the new IDs system

Feedbacks: Phpauction XL 2.5 will change the way feedbacks are handled. Due to customers requests we modified the feedbacks system to work like eBay. The upgrade script will take care of migrating the existing feedbacks to the new system.
    T

What I can do is write a php script that'll import the old data into the new database. that would be the easiest and fastest way.

Reject - as noted, the database has changed slightly.
    Instead of some long, random User ID, there is now an "incremental" user ID system.
    Feedback system has changed and needs to be accounted for.

Other items in the database may have changed too but I don't have the DB experience enough to know.

It's definitely not a standard import from the old to the new. If so, I could have done that myself.

Are you accounting for the changes in the way the database is set up?

Terry

Re:

Dear bigscanner,
    Hello,

By reading this thread i have just simple words. If you want to do it by your self or want some one to do this for you then ALTER TABLE will help.

I by myself does not have experience with Auctions Scripts.

I prefer you to get installation service from PHP Auctions or create Support Ticket at their Help Desk.

Best Regards.
    Tom F - VCA-WM, VCA-Cloud, VCA-DCV, CISSO, CPTE, OSCP, RHCE, RHCT
    Maxim Support - Hosting Solutions & Server Management
    Email : tom@maximsupport.com
    Web : http://www.maximsupport.com

Quote Originally Posted by MaximSupport View Post
    I prefer you to get installation service from PHP Auctions or create Support Ticket at their Help
    I've been trying to get a quote from them for the past 4 days to no avail.
    But thanks.
    T

Re:

Dear bigscanner,
    Hello,

I have very interesting chat with the sales department of PHP Auction.Best

from "sales@phpauction.org" <sales@phpauction.org>
    to tom@maximsupport.com
    date Apr 11, 2007 10:16 PM
    subject Transcript Details
    mailed-by server.gianlucabaldo.com
    Transcript Details - 04/11/2007 @ 01:02 PM

Thank you for contact us. You will be assisted as soon as possible to give answer to your questions. Phpauction.net Professoinal Auction Software
    Tom F: Upgrade 2.0 to 3.2
    *Tom F is connected*
    Sales Department: Hello, how can I help you?
    Tom F: hello
    Tom F: can you please tell me from where i can find the manual regarding upgrade from phpauction 2.0 to 3.2 ?
    Sales Department: there is no upgrade manual for 2.0 to 3.2
    Tom F: then how can one upgrade from 2.0 to 3.2 ?
    Sales Department: If you are one of our clients one each release we add the upgrade instructions (except GPL) from 2.0 to 2.5, from 3.0-3.1-3.2, from 2.5 to 3.0 we did for our clients without cost for a certain perido like 1 year ago
    Tom F: and if this is not possible then i believe this is the major flaw in your product which does not have backward compatibility
    Tom F: and what if your client want you to do it after one year ?
    Tom F: how much you will going to charge them ?
    Sales Department: We can do it for a fee it is 50 usd per upgrade except the 2.5 to 3.0 thatis 100. That will be 250 usd.
    Sales Department: Sorry I don't believe is a flaw, the upgrades are available for all the clients and clients are inform. It is not our responsability if client don't want to upgrade
    Tom F: okay
    Sales Department: The only one we didn't create a script was 2.5 to 3.0 since was too complex and we did it for free obviously in a certain period again can't have eternal promotion
    Sales Department: If you are interested please contact me directly to lorena@phpauction.org and I will ask you certain info and send you the instructions for the payment
    Tom F: okay thanks for the information
    Tom F: bye
    Best Regards.

All talk Tom.
    I'm looking for *action*.

Re:

Dear bigscanner,
    Hello,

You should know better what to do now

Best Regards.

Advice about phpauction

Hi

This is a bit unrelated...but I'm considering purchasing and using phpAuction myself, or specifically,
    Phpauction Classifieds 3.2

How have you found the software, the support, the value for money, and importantly the flexibility.

What level of technical ability is needed to install, use, and modify the software?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

I don't think I'd be sladerous in saying it's widely known that the code behind phpAuction *barely* works. It's full of just *bad code* and makes their users just give up and never use it.
    It's crap. *But it works!* (kinda')

The owners and support will work with you on problems and get them fixed. That's the good thing.
    Expect to see a LOT of problems.
    Test, test, test and you'll see more, more, more.

I have a HUGE thread here of problems and solutions (username "comicart"):
    http://www.auctioncode.com/viewtopic.php?t=2281

But hey - I'm using it. Tweaked out. What can I say?

T

bigscanner - Did you eventually iron out all of the bugs with PHP Auction. I am trying roll it out in one of my sites now, but I am already having a ton of problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by woocha View Post
    bigscanner - Did you eventually iron out all of the bugs with PHP Auction. I am trying roll it out in one of my sites now, but I am already having a ton of problems with it.
    Join the crowd!
    Although I use it because I've got it already, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all.