Cheap File Hosting?

Hi guys

You have been helping me before (thanks) and now I need some help again

As the title suggests, I am looking for a cheap file hosting service, with direct download access.

I don't care about CPU, RAM etc. as long as my users can download the files. The speed of the download is secondary as well.

What do I need this for?
    I have a website where I am hosting a lot of downloadable files (mostly zip files), each file is in the 1-300Mb range (mostly 1-30Mb).

Right now I am using Mediafire and Mega and it works fine, BUT I don't like to be reliable on these services - what if they get shut down like Megaupload - then I had to move ALL the files to a new place and change hundreds of links. So I want static links so I can move the files (www.example.com/filename.zip). If I one day choose to change host, I can just move the folder from the old host to new host and change the DNS settings - this is what I want.

This is kind of possible with Amazon S3 service - I went with this for a while, but my bill just went up and up - I stopped it when the bill reached about 50$ a month.

Requirements
    So I am guessing I am going to need about 1TB bandwidth a month (max) with about 120.000 hits a month.

Do you know any cheap file host that you can recommend, that can do this for me?

Also, it would be a bonus if I could use the host with different domains and it also supported PHP (so I could restrict access to files).

Thanks in advance
      0 Not allowed!

What is the total size of your files? For last storage requirements, these services would work fine for you:
    - Backupsy storage VPS
    - Vultr (they provide a Storage VPS service)
    - Dedicated server from OVH
    - Dedicated server from Wholesale Internet

All of them are lower than the $50 you were paying for Amazon S3 and offer more than 1 TB bandwidth per month.
    NetworkPanda :: Web Hosting SSD Powered :: Reseller Hosting
    Instant activation, fast servers, NVMe SSD disks, cPanel, Softaculous 1-click apps installer, daily backups
    Multiple hosting locations: USA, Canada, France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, Finland
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkPanda View Post
    What is the total size of your files? For last storage requirements, these services would work fine for you:
    - Backupsy storage VPS
    - Vultr (they provide a Storage VPS service)
    - Dedicated server from OVH
    - Dedicated server from Wholesale Internet

All of them are lower than the $50 you were paying for Amazon S3 and offer more than 1 TB bandwidth per month.
    I think the total size is max 15 Gb (also the 1Tb bandwidth might be the maximum.

Thank you I will check out your suggestions

I've heard about places where you pay for lets say a 50Mb/s line and then the bandwidth is unlimited but can't seem to find these services (I don't know what it's called).
      0 Not allowed!

Okay so I have been looking at Vultr and it looks very promising. I don't have any past experience with Cloud hosting and little experience with VPS and can't seem to find any info on the website, so my question is - can I use PHP with it? Does it normally cost anything extra? (like a control panel modul)
      0 Not allowed!

There is no "modules" for Vultr's VMs. They are bare OS machines so you have to do everything yourself so yes you can use PHP on those.
      0 Not allowed!

So by cheap I assume you mean less than 50$ a month right? Why not get a VPS somewhere?

Digital Ocean is cheap.
      0 Not allowed!

It seems here is a solution:

You purchase for a hosting plan, and also try to buy a CDN service.
    CDN service can help you cache your static files, and you just need replace your files with cdn.domain.com/file1.zip for all downloads.

Let's search Google, I found a CDN service which provide you trial up to 10TB bandwidth without paying any cent.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Hostnameclub View Post
    It seems here is a solution:

You purchase for a hosting plan, and also try to buy a CDN service.
    CDN service can help you cache your static files, and you just need replace your files with cdn.domain.com/file1.zip for all downloads.

Let's search Google, I found a CDN service which provide you trial up to 10TB bandwidth without paying any cent.
    Can you post the link?

I have never tried to setup a CDN, is it easy?
      0 Not allowed!

How much storage space total are you looking for?
      0 Not allowed!

Surprised nobody mentioned RackSpace CloudFiles.

Also was mentioned in passing, but Vultr storage is cheap: $5/mo for 160GB storage and 1TB bandwidth.
    Your IT Concierge
    Server Management, Business-class Web Hosting
    Speedy, Secure, Stable Hosting for Developers
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by edigest View Post
    Surprised nobody mentioned RackSpace CloudFiles.

Also was mentioned in passing, but Vultr storage is cheap: $5/mo for 160GB storage and 1TB bandwidth.

+1 as cloudfiles will ensure your user will download at full speed
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Linkiepoo View Post
    +1 as cloudfiles will ensure your user will download at full speed
    As I don't see anything regarding dedicated port speed, you can't be certain that the ports hooked up to the servers are not going to occur a flood. However it does say that the data are duplicated to 3 nodes, so the odds of that happening should be very low.
      0 Not allowed!

Cheap File Hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMine View Post
    As I don't see anything regarding dedicated port speed, you can't be certain that the ports hooked up to the servers are not going to occur a flood. However it does say that the data are duplicated to 3 nodes, so the odds of that happening should be very low.

If you turn on CDN...It gets put onto the Akamai Cdn ,which is the biggest in the world.

"Cloud Files uses over 200 global edge locations around the world, so your users get content fast—from servers within their region. This makes Cloud Files great for media hosting."
      0 Not allowed!