How to get rid of stubborn icon in system tray? Help!

I just bought a new all-in-one (printer, scanner, copier et.c.) and just hooked it up. It's a Lexmark which I'm not partically fond of but it was only $50 bucks so I bought it since I needed an all-in-one and all the other brands costed over $150.

But I hate how it's icon is showing up in the system tray and I can't get rid of it. I don't want to hide it... I want to eliminate it completely from showing up in the system tray at all. I HATE it there. I can't find a setting in the program anywhere to get rid of the icon in the system tray.

Isn't there any setting on my computer where I can get rid of that icon in my system tray? I don't want it there! My other printer which I had hooked up before I bought this one did not place a ridiculous icon there... how can I get rid of it?

It's unlikely that the print requires it there to work so you can probably disable it from starting all together.

Go to Start > Run > "msconfig" > Startup > Then look for program and disable it from starting.

Reboot and see what happens. If the printer stops working do the opposite to enable it again.
    Steve

Thanks that fixed it

I didn't even think of doing that... you were right, the printer function doesn't require that software and still works when that software doesn't start up. So now that icon will only show up if I need to use the functions of that software.... otherwise no icon in the system tray. Perfect thanks!

Or the alternative route is to right click on your system tray then select properties, click customize at the bottom right of this menu and find annoying icon and select ALWAYS HIDE

parassassin,

I already knew that of course. That only hides the icon... as mentioned I did not want to hide the icon as it still lists the icon and it is still visible if you expand the system tray to view the icons. I wanted to eliminate that icon and kill it.

Hey I was only trying to help without reading your post properly!

Way to many "ICON'S" in the above post

One other alternative is to use TweakUI (google for it )

But disabling it completely is definitely the best option, since it will be turned off and won't take up system resources...

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    the printer function doesn't require that software...
    Frosty,

The software allows you to initiate a scan from the the keypad on the device ... handy for the luddites in my family.

Bubba