Ubuntu server or Debian

Hi all,

I've just ordered a dedicated server with Ubuntu server, but they've come back to me to say that they've had trouble installing Ubuntu server on these particular servers.

As an alternative, they're offering to install Debian. My concern is that I come from a windows background and have spent the last month reading and playing with Ubuntu Server in vmware. I'll be running a small handful of sites on the server and will rely on the apt-get and package installer in webmin to get things set up and for administration. I'll dabble in the shell a little, but only when needed.

Should I go with a different host that can offer Ubuntu, or will I be okay with Debian?

Thanks,

Mark

ED. Just came to me - Assuming apt-get and the package installer will work in debian, do they work in the same way? Are dependant packages also installed etc,?
    Last edited by markjohnl; 07-09-2008 at 06:57 AM.

Debian is pretty much the same thing really. The thing is, you probably won't have a graphical interface.
    478east
    High Bandwidth Servers
    Custom Hosting Solutions

Ubuntu is a desktop grade of Linux. Debian is not so great for web/application hosting either but is much better than Ubuntu which most would consider a desktop grade OS.
    Still you should be fine if you have been looking at command line stuff as it is largely the same.
    www.HNKTools.com - dns info and tests
    www.EmptyBeanie.com - glorious moments of human failure

Debian is probably more stable than Ubuntu and you can still get the same Desktop environments if you want.

I would go for Debian, good experience with it. I cannot give an opinion about Ubuntu since we never installed it on a production server.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Cheers guys!

I'm blown away by the response! Sounds like Debian is going to be ok. I never did install the gnome interface, but just liked the easy package installer in webmin and using apt-get etc. I have a few php extentions to install, but after that there shouldn't be much need for tweaking.

The host also asked me about partitions. I have 2 x 250gb in a hardware raid 1. With windows, I just go with one big single partition, but from what I've read on linux, most folk have one for boot at least. What do you guys think on this?

Cheers,

Mark

I would have the Seperate Partation for Boot and then the rest of the HardDrive as the remaing partation, unless there is any need for /usr /home to have their own partation. As this just causes problems down the line, with one partation running out of space and another having plenty.

So Basildicy

/boot - Let DC decide on Space
    / - Remaining free space
    ZXPlay
    Premium Virtual Private Servers | Dedicated Media Streaming Servers
    Dedicated Resources | EU Based
    www.zxplay.co.uk

/boot should be about 150MB
    EasyDCIM.com - DataCenter Infrastructure Management - HELLO DEDICATED SERVER & COLO PROVIDERS! - Reach Me: chris@easydcim.com
    Bandwidth Billing | Inventory & Asset Management | Server Control
    Order Forms | Reboots | IPMI Control | IP Management | Reverse&Forward DNS | Rack Management

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Debian is pretty much the same thing really. The thing is, you probably won't have a graphical interface.
    the same as Ubuntu server edition comes without any graphical interface.
    Explore our outstanding VPS choices tailored to your budget, and we welcome reasonable offers.
    VPS Price Match Guarantee on: All our range of DDOS protected XEN HVM VPS
    == Contact us for any online solution development or managed / unmanaged vps hosting ==

Quote Originally Posted by cristibighea View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I couldn't notice any major changes other than the grafical (if installed).