Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    There's tons of greenwashing out there in my opinion. Off hand, I can only think of one company that I actually believe is doing solar-powered hosting and that's AISO.net

Buying carbon footprint offset credits is, in my opinion, absolutely not green whatsoever. It's not helping even the slightest bit. The credits are traded wildly to the point of oblivion and have been investigated many times and proven to be fraudulent.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has actually been to and seen the setup of a solar-powered or wind-turbine powered hosting company with their own two eyes, and can offer comments on their experiences with the hosting quality provided by them.

Quote Originally Posted by IGXHost View Post
    It still contributes to the cause in my opinion.
    agreed, every little bit counts in this world. Yes some may be greener than others but you must remember that even a little contribution can go along way if everyone does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattpg View Post
    agreed, every little bit counts in this world. Yes some may be greener than others but you must remember that even a little contribution can go along way if everyone does the same.
    I agree to an extent - every little bit does count. But if you are giving a certain impression I think you need to be doing what people expect. You can't claim to be 100% green if you are not doing everything possible.

The best way to promote that your company is green is via PR releases and articles.

First thing I have in mind for the word Green hosting would be the implementation of VPS servers. Does it make sense?

I think being 'green' is the next big thing.

Mainly for business they would like to promote how 'green' they are so if the host is, thats a plus for anyone.

Daniel

Greenwashing is indeed rampant.

Much of the movement is misdirected. Well intentioned however.

90%+ of places selling green services have purchased offset credits. In simple terms - they pay another company some money to do something to offset their pollution - like planting trees, adding wind power into grid, etc.

Almost no one could run a colo facility on green power. Unless we tapped stored geothermal or natural gas/methane pocket on property. Those are not renewable enough in my opinion to be green. Wind and solar are too variable and too expensive to run a datacenter.

So if you want to be green in this category do something different and do it yourself. Plant trees for every so many dollars. Replace lighting in your facility. Invest in those reductions as you net income.

One thing I see overlooked a lot in the green hosting is blade servers. We started replacing standalone servers with blade type servers and power consumption drops dramatically. I am surprised to not see more doing that. As Atlas posted, pulling in the fresh air helps a lot with being more efficient on cooling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

It is true that nobody bothers about green services. But, weightage is given to green services above others and it makes a great difference.

some best feature for Green Web Hosting
    1.try to make your server less consumable of electicity if you are providing green web hosting.
    2. Try to add some best valuable offers for non-profit organizations.
    3. And also best offfers for small companies

Quote Originally Posted by carl2k2 View Post
    What are your thoughts on Green Web Hosting companies, because I myself have setup a small business providing green web hosting for an affordable price, but just wanted to know what ways of advertising I should use, and whether you are bothered about whether it helps the planet or not.
    can u tell me the digeerence between web hosting and green web hosting?
    Plz let me know.

Green Web Hosting use alternative / renewable energy, plant trees, recycling waste and purchase RECs to power their datacenters. as General Webhosting would be identical to your typical house, has city grid power, diesel generator etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Underrated_Admin View Post
    Are they truly "green" though? Most companies say they are green but what they are really doing is offsetting their energy use by buying wind certificates or credits. They aren't truly wind powered. Does that make them green?
    This is just my opinion but REC's are not green. Getting your power directly from a wind farm is though.
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-16-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123