Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for content delivery network

Hi,

My website is pulling 5 TB of bandwidth per month and the traffic is growing at 120-200% every month. Since my server can't handle that anymore, I'm considering using a CDN for static files.

Most of my visitors are from US and the rest are from Europe. I was considering a US (simpleCDN) or US-Europe (highwinds) based networks. Can you suggest a network or a reseller I should check?

The best price I could find for US&Europe based CDN was a highwinds reseller (vps.net) at 5c per GB ($50/TB). Is it possible to find something similar for a better price?

Thank you
      0 Not allowed!

if you care about the price then go with vps.net ,
    you don't have to worry about storage because as far as i know they only charge for data transfer ,

vps.net price very good to me and i don't see any one have that price for CDN
      0 Not allowed!

@NuPagady
    SimpleCDN has decent pricing and well within your price point. Take a look at http://www.simplecdn.com/pricing - $0.039 per GB for data transfer is the starting point and $0.75/GB for storage.
      0 Not allowed!

Is simpleCDN a trustworthy company?
    I've placed a support ticket 7 days ago but no response yet.
    Another thing is that you can't delete/rename buckets,CNAMES. Is like you never take a bath, change your clothes or clean your house
    Prices and facilities are great, but I don't know if to trust them or not.
      0 Not allowed!

Check out cachefly. We've been using them for a long time now and never had an incident.

They don't have any minimums, other programs may have monthly minimums.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
    HostKitty Internet Services
      0 Not allowed!

cachefly is very expensive ($0.25/GB) and I'm not sure if they have a pay as you go payment model. Since my website is very bandwidth hungry, this price would simply bankrupt me.

I went with vps.net CDN (highwinds) - $0.05/GB, pay as you go.
    Last edited by NuPagady; 11-08-2009 at 05:06 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourdaddy View Post
    I've placed a support ticket 7 days ago but no response yet.
    Check your spam folder, it may have ended up there. For some reason gmail flags simpleCDN support emails as spam.
      0 Not allowed!

NuPagady, how much bandwidth do you use?
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by woods01 View Post
    NuPagady, how much bandwidth do you use?
    5 TB last month, expecting 7-10 TB this month. Even $0.05/GB is quite expensive for me, but it's better than losing sleep when your server/internet line can't handle a sudden burst of traffic.
    Last edited by NuPagady; 11-08-2009 at 06:32 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Definitely cachefly would of been a more expensive route unless you contacted them to negotiate a better rate.

Hopefully things work out for you. If they don't at least you know a few companies.

We tried to utilize SimpleCDN when they launched and were in their infant stages and you couldn't get ahold of anyone over there. When you did you usually got canned (it's gonna get better answers).

Good luck
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
      0 Not allowed!

My experience with Highwinds has been terrible. Their CDN, in its current form, is NOT designed to by used with small files (instead, think larger media files as the target audience).
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    My experience with Highwinds has been terrible. Their CDN, in its current form, is NOT designed to by used with small files (instead, think larger media files as the target audience).
    Can you tell me more about this? What happens when you host small files in their network?
      0 Not allowed!

First, the performance in general, is pretty poor compared to other major CDNs.Secondly, they set third-party cookies to help deterine if the content should be downloaded again (for each hit to a file), and which edge server to pull from. The problem is that third-party cookies aren't accepted by default in most current browsers without changing browser settings. The end result is that the files are ALWAYS downloaded to the browser, instead of being cached by the browser, which will quickly consume a lot more bandwidth than you might expect, and slow your page loading tremendously.
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jasonaward View Post
    First, the performance in general, is pretty poor compared to other major CDNs.Secondly, they set third-party cookies to help deterine if the content should be downloaded again (for each hit to a file), and which edge server to pull from. The problem is that third-party cookies aren't accepted by default in most current browsers without changing browser settings. The end result is that the files are ALWAYS downloaded to the browser, instead of being cached by the browser, which will quickly consume a lot more bandwidth than you might expect, and slow your page loading tremendously.
    Now that sounds horrible. Is there a way to set a cache-expire header?

I haven't got a chance to test them yet and I've paid for the service already. I'm a little bit worried now.
      0 Not allowed!

I would look at the major CDNs, yes they are more money, but you get what you pay for. With the bigger CDNs you will get better performance (latency and speed), caching, request routing, features and more.
      0 Not allowed!

Highwinds is a major CDN.
    James Paul Woods
    Operations Manager
      0 Not allowed!

5TB is about 15 Mb/s on average. It is not that much bandwidth actually. A single server with RAID (assuming multiple drives) will push 200 Mb/s easily - almost 15 times more than you do now.

I would recommend to go just with a hosting company with a good network. If you'll commit to 50 - 100 Mb/s you may get a good pricing. With 100 Mb/s and more you definitely will be able to get less than 5 cents per GB.
    Just for your calculations - 1 Mb/s is about 324GB
    Professional Streaming services - http://www.tulix.com - info at tulix.com
    Double optimized - AS36820) network, best for live streaming/VoIP/gaming
    The best quality network - AS7219
      0 Not allowed!

are there any unmetered bandwidth CDN providers out there?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tulix View Post
    5TB is about 15 Mb/s on average. It is not that much bandwidth actually. A single server with RAID (assuming multiple drives) will push 200 Mb/s easily - almost 15 times more than you do now.

I would recommend to go just with a hosting company with a good network. If you'll commit to 50 - 100 Mb/s you may get a good pricing. With 100 Mb/s and more you definitely will be able to get less than 5 cents per GB.
    Just for your calculations - 1 Mb/s is about 324GB
    My biggest concern is occasional viral effect. I can handle up to 100 mbit/s of traffic just fine, but I've maxed out 100 mbit/s line a few times and that made the site slow or even unusable. One day it was under very heavy traffic, I've ordered 3 additional servers (100 mbit/s each) as a temporary load balancing solution, but 400 mbit/s of combined bandwidth wasn't enough. I just don't want to lose any more sleep over this

I was thinking if I should get one of these 1 gbit/s servers with 10 TB of bandwidth. The idea of CDN seemed a little bit more convenient. I just can't find a CDN which would just work and won't bankrupt me.

SimpleCDN doesn't seem to care about support tickets. Highwinds is something I'm about to test now, but if they perform as poor jasonaward wrote, I just can't use it for my site.

Any other options? I've spent almost a week doing a research and haven't made any real progress yet...
      0 Not allowed!

What's your budget on this?

So basically you are looking for a dedicated server in the US location that you can burst 10TB on a 1gbps port?
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by eSited View Post
    So basically you are looking for a dedicated server in the US location that you can burst 10TB on a 1gbps port?
    OP is looking for a Content Delivery Network aka CDN.
      0 Not allowed!

I think you'd probably be better off with another server, perhaps in Europe. CDN even at 0.05/GB transferred is very expensive compared to one or two dedicated servers that can supply the demand without accruing massive overages on 95%.

The scalability of CDN is obvious and no maintenance, however, unless you're losing money because of a poor end user experience, it'd be hard to justify the delta in cost.
    Christopher S. SmithConnect with Me (LinkedIn)
    ServerMania - Hosting Empowered.
    Dedicated Servers in Los Angeles, Dallas, Buffalo, New Jersey, Montreal, Amsterdam, London, Auckland
      0 Not allowed!

Well you can get 10TB for $98 if you go down the route of getting your own server for static files:
    http://www.10tb.com/cloud-servers/
      0 Not allowed!

Check Edgecast.com we've used them for about 4 months now and been very happy and we push around 1.2 GB/s through their network.
      0 Not allowed!

Try Peer1, their CDN network is US, CA, and EU. We've been very satisfied with them and they're very willing to negotiate.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast