Hybrid View

Ubiquity Servers Review (No need to Stay Away)

Hello,

I've had a Ubiquity dedicated server for 3 months now. I wasn't going to post a review for a couple more months but felt compelled to do so after reading another thread entitled "Ubiquity Servers Stay Away".

I experienced a similar situation to what the member (who posted the Stay Away thread) experienced with my initial server configuration. My server config was supposed to consist of an E6600, 2 GB RAM, and 250 GB HD. The server I was provisioned with had 1 GB RAM and a 160 GB HD. And like the member I had already invested quite a few hours configuring my server before noticing the problem. But this is where our similarities end. Because Ubiquity's support staff did almost everything possible to fix these problems and accommodate me. I was able to contact their support staff immediately via their Live Chat. When I told them that I had already spent valuable time configuring my server, they installed a 250 GB HD in addition to my existing 160 GB drive so that my configurations on the server would be preserved. When I found out that they did not have any compatible RAM in stock to add to my server, I insisted that I needed it within 2 days (I had a deadline to get the server configured for Xen and the RAM was crucial). Not only did they order the RAM with next day shipping, one of their support staff members (who lives 4 hours from Chicago) guaranteed me that if the RAM did not arrive in time, he would purchase it himself, drive to the DC, and install it. Luckily for him, the RAM came in time, because I was ready to hold him to his word. Lastly, they adjusted my billing cycle so that I was not charged for any of the days in which my server specs were incorrect.

I want to add that I actually expect all these things from someone I do business with. If they make a mistake, they should correct it and make it up to their customers. What really stood out about this experience was Ubiquity's honesty, willingness to admit their mistakes, and accommodate my requests.

The other thing I noticed throughout this experience is that Ubiquity's core staff is not located in Chicago (I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure). The only times I experienced support delays was when Ubiquity's support staff had to page/contact their hardware person at the DC and wait for that person to do the work. Yes, I said "person", as in " uno", "one". At one point, there was a 2 hour delay because that person wasn't reachable. To be fair, this was after hours on a weekend, so they may have more people available during business hours. More importantly, to me at least, is that they were again honest about the situation, and they were able to deliver what they promised in the end.

I haven't needed to contact Ubiquity for anything else since that time. My server is running as it should be, and their network has never been down.

Ethan

Good Review

If they make a mistake, they should correct it and make it up to their customers.
    Good Review, And I Hope Every One Provide a Service Should Care About QUOTE Line ..

Just a small note: it's good to fix the mistake, but it's better not to make mistake

I know sometimes mistakes happen, but for me there should be good explanation if there are 2 threads with 2 same initial problem (though different result). However I also notice how ubiquity always tried to fix the problem, and that's good
    --- No signature for now ---

Thank you for this Ethan. I absolutely agree with l0ck_up and Mansour_qa; these things were actually affirmed to us about 3 weeks ago after this had happened to a couple people in Chicago. Even though we're pretty sure that the few incorrect records in our hardware database were lost in translation when we moved from our own in-house UbiquityNOC to Ubersmith DE, we'd begun doing complete audits on everything once a month, as we really should have been doing anyway, and as of two weeks ago we should have all hardware records correct.

To clear up a couple points-

- The other thread was actually a slightly different issue; the server deployed was correct, it was simply running below expected benchmarks by 0.4ghz, which we offered a fresh server for. The processor itself was correct and was read correctly by the OS as well.

- There is more than one person at each facility. Someone should be around 24/7; though it can from time to time be a bit to reach someone if they're already on the data center floor, as it's very loud and cell phone reception generally isn't very good.

- About half of our staff are in Bloomington, Illinois, which is about 1:30-2 hours from 350 Cermak in the South Loop. The other half works on-site at the different facilities.
    Corey Northcutt | Electric Goat Media
    Currently building this nifty small business ROI calculator.

seems they took really great care of you, good to hear. good review!

I am about to get mine too Today or Tomorrow and Allen responded to my pre sales ticket answered everything I needed to know.

I read that other thread but it in no way deterred me from me going to go with them.

Robert

very detailed review and great job from coolbarguy

Great and very thorough review. Thanks for sharing with the all community.
    !! RRDNS.com !! RRDNSHosting.com !!
    !! 100% Business Uptime Hosting Solutions !!
    !! Now offers Affordable Shared Clustered Hosting !!
    !! http://www.rrdns.com !! http://www.rrdnshosting.com !!

Quote Originally Posted by coolbarguy View Post
    The other thing I noticed throughout this experience is that Ubiquity's core staff is not located in Chicago (I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure). The only times I experienced support delays was when Ubiquity's support staff had to page/contact their hardware person at the DC and wait for that person to do the work. Yes, I said "person", as in " uno", "one". At one point, there was a 2 hour delay because that person wasn't reachable. To be fair, this was after hours on a weekend, so they may have more people available during business hours. More importantly, to me at least, is that they were again honest about the situation, and they were able to deliver what they promised in the end.
    Ubiquity's support team are all located in Bloomington, IL (about 2 hours south of Chicago). As far as I know, Ubiquity doesn't have any staff on-site on the weekends, and late at night. They use the DC's staff (remote hands) to do the work when someone from Ubiquity is not there. I know this because I have a server coloed there, and Ubiquity only has an employee up there during the day -- when I came at night to work on the server, the datacenter's NOC tech had to bring me up to Ubiquity's cage to work on the server.

Regardless, Ubiquity's definitely a great provider, and I'm glad to see that you're happy with them

Thanks for your detailed review. Always glad to see positive experiences with providers. Keep us updated after a couple of months.