Hybrid View

1. Question

Hello everyone,

Im pretty much convinced that FastHosts.co.uk has the best reseller plans with all the features they include and what not. Is there anything I should know about them, another service, or just any suggestions?

Im looking to use them since for right now I am aiming to provide low cost packages where I really don't make much of a profit until I get enough revenue(if be any) to start hunting for a dedicated server and so forth.

All comments are welcome since anything will help me further with my decision to use them.

Also note that I live in the USA and 70% of my users will probably be withing the US, will this be a problem or is there a light at the end of the tunnel and FastHosts is still the top pick?

There prices are $48 us dollars a month for some outstanding features, I would like to know if anyone can beat that and has faster servers(located in the US).

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this post, and I hope I get some answers

------------------
    Kian Rafiee
    Next Step Studios
    http://www.nextstepstudios.com
      0 Not allowed!

Cool

Look here : http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ubb/Fo...ML/000027.html

If you live in usa and you would like to resell the account of fasthosts.co.uk you cannot register domain in their personal nameserver. I think that this is a big limitation.

Siz

0 Not allowed!

I have a friend who was a reseller for fasthosts and they were quite pleased. Just remember that they do have "add-on" costs if you want control panels for your customers or your own nameservers.

He moved to his own Digital Nation server about a month ago.

But still good value if you are on a small budget to start with and cannot afford a dedicated server.

[This message has been edited by Davey (edited 07-01-2000).]
      0 Not allowed!

Please do a search on fasthosts on this board first before you sign up with them.
    Eric
      0 Not allowed!

I was a reseller and had dedicated servers with them. Couldn't get my domains off quick enough!

The support is rubbish - if they answer your emails, The accounts section appear to be on a parallel universe.
    Even after closing my accounts they still billed me!

The SMTP is only via there own radious / dialup and whilst the costs look OK - try adding up all the extras you need, as they work out very expensive.

Oh, and they don't honour there service level agreements! When they turned into FarceHosts a few months back and the whole system went down they gave me 28 days free dedicated hosting as per my service level agreement - Problem is they never honoured it, despite numerous calls to managers .......

You could do a lot better than FastHosts - But not much worse!

Regards
    Eladesor.
    Regards

Eladesor
      0 Not allowed!

* Don't go there!

For even more information on fasthosts.co.uk I'd recommend a visit to www.communityzero.com/siteonsite/

Look through ALL the posts there (you will need to sign up but trust me you'll thank them afterwards)

Perhaps the most telling thing to be said about Farcehosts is that their "Unlimited bandwidth" is actually 10Gb a month... if you go over it, your account is deleted along with ALL of your clients, therefore you LOSE all you clients...

My advice... go elsewhere... do not touch fasthosts or your reputation will never recover. If you decide to go with them anyway, you deserve everything you don't get.
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Don't go there!

Originally posted by WebSnail.net
    My advice... go elsewhere... do not touch fasthosts or your reputation will never recover.
    Not very sound advice buddy, but par for the course I guess.

There a few other hosts in here who send us the occasional client who they can't service themself, but know that we can with our Fasthosts account. Our reputation has hardly suffered from it. None of our clients have had any problems with their services there.

If those hosts wish to speak up here so be it. If they don't, we'll respect their privacy.

As with Donhost, it's obviously up to the Reseller to use the systen responsibly (read: not abuse it).

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Don't go there!

Originally posted by Editor
    ...As with Donhost, it's obviously up to the Reseller to use the systen responsibly (read: not abuse it)...
    Hi Gary,

Seems we disagree on a lot of things. Which footie team do you support? (just kidding).

I am interested to understand how someone can abuse the fasthosts system when their reseller account is billed with "unlimited bandwidth". Personally it strikes me as abuse by Fasthosts if the user then uses 10Gb in a month and is then simply shutdown without warning. Are you saying that a user should actually accept that because they've taken Fasthosts at their word?

Now if Fasthosts do have a 10Gb bandwidth limit policy then surely it should be in their conditions and their marketing spiel should be altered to specify that.

I don't disagree that a host needs to ensure that all customers are maintained but if a host does one thing and says something totally different then it can't be good business practice.

I guess what I'm saying is if they can't be honest and up front why trust them.

Cheers

Martin
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Don't go there!

Originally posted by WebSnail.net
    Hi Gary,

Seems we disagree on a lot of things. Which footie team do you support? (just kidding).
    The Mighty Wigan Athletic. :-)

(There's alway next season...)

I certainly wish Fasthosts would state that pseudo-limit clearly as well, but it's obvious they have no intentions of doing that (I'm presuming they read these forums and know that most people are aware of the limit).

I just disagreed with the "do not touch fasthosts or your reputation will never recover" bit. Ours has never suffered. As I said, there are some *nix hosts around these parts that pass us their Win2K clients, knowing we can put them our Fasthosts account.

I'll refer again to the "Tacid" situation. Now there's an example of abusing the system. It could be argued that "but they state *unlimited*...so I guess common sense has to prevail in this case.

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't go there!

The Mighty Wigan Athletic.
    Heh heh..
    I just disagreed with the "do not touch fasthosts or your reputation will never recover" bit. Ours has never suffered.
    Fair enough...
    I'll refer again to the "Tacid" situation. Now there's an example of abusing the system.
    Yeah, I think a lot of people understand that issue. Some I'm sure wish they didn't have to.

That said though, quite a few reasonable people who've been using the account according to the stated terms have come a cropper thanks to "unspoken" rules and that's the main concern.

It could be argued that "but they state *unlimited*...so I guess common sense has to prevail in this case.
    Hmm, possibly but I'd have a hard time defending that angle. Especially when you have hosts like Donhost (not flaming ) who offer 50Gb of BW. 10Gb therefore doesn't therefore come close to a percieved common sense boundary for "unlimited"... I'm pretty certain that trading standards might be interested to hear the arguement as well. It's not exactly good product description practices

Then again, common sense prevails a bit when you start to look at dedicated servers and you start to realise that usually they come with smaller amounts of BW before the extra costs start mounting up. A lot of resellers don't seem to make that connection because they've not really looked at that side of things. In that I think Common Sense is perhaps acquired... and often, it seems, the hard way.

All that said, my own experience with Fasthosts and that of countless others does appear to be less than positive. I was suprised to see you speak in their defence but I suppose it's interesting to get a different point of view.

As with the Donhost thing I'm all done now. Cheers
      0 Not allowed!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Don't go there!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WebSnail.net

[B]
    The Mighty Wigan Athletic.
    That's it! I'm through with you! ;-)

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

my small experience with fasthosts

Hi,

My only experience with Fasthosts was when i used their UKREG service to register a domain name, During the process there was an error on my part regarding the name severs and after requesting a change via their email support system and the promise of a 24 hour reply, i found that still 2 weeks later i had no success with getting a response from them. I thus attempted to phone them up on the sales line as ukreg dont provide telephone support whereby i explained my situation to someone on the phone, and they point blank said that they would not do anything unless i signed up for their hosting plans. I tried calling again to get someone else on the phone which i did, but still the same thing was said plus they refused to escalate my compliant to anyone higher in the company.

After browsing the forums i found an email for a person at fasthosts and finally something was done nearly 3 weeks after the initial problem.

From my own experiences I will never ever consider fasthosts as a provider or even recommend them to anyone.

anyway

just my tuppence worth

R Martin

=========================
    EX donhost reseller and proud of it
    =========================
      0 Not allowed!

Cute sig Mr Martin. "Tacid" uses a similar one too, I'm sure.

Gary
      0 Not allowed!

my sig

Cute sig Mr Martin. "Tacid" uses a similar one too, I'm sure.

Gary
    should i be worried about that???

how about

====================================
    Never gonna be a fasthost reseller and proud of it
    ====================================

BTW who was "tacid"

Many Thanks

R Martin
      0 Not allowed!