Hostgator charges new customers for site transfers?

Hello there

I made a previous post about looking for a new hosting provider. The one I currently use has allot of downtime when I'm trying to edit my new Joomla site.

I'm leaning towards Hostgator, but I just got done speaking to their support. I was told that they will charge me $10 for each addon domain that they transfer and the main domain transfer will be free. I have 4 addon domains in cpanel so that would be an extra $40 just for switching to a new host. Ouchy.

Is this a common practice to charge extra for addon domain transfers for new customers? The website said that the transfer would be free. (I guess it meant only one domain would be free.)

Maybe I'm being nitpicky. I can transfer the websites without the databases ok I think. What I'm really concerned about is transfering the new Joomla site I'm working on which uses a mysql database. (This is an addon domain in my cpanel.) Is this going to be a pain to move? I'm really dumb when it comes to technical stuff. Help!

Also, do I need to worry about how many concurrent users or whatever? Does Hostgator limit this? Sorry I'm such a noob!
    Last edited by suzyweb; 12-29-2007 at 04:03 PM.

Add-on domains are transferred when you do a cpanel backup. Are you their wasn't a misunderstanding somewhere?

I think the website refers only towards domain transfers on the reseller, that you get first 30 free.
    Last edited by DWebby; 12-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure he knew what I was talking about. The same guy talked to me in sales and support. William B. I think his handle was.

He said there are 20 free transfers for resellers. But I don't need that much hosting

20 accounts, you have to move only 1 account which have some addon domains. apparently.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Are you getting a reseller or shared hosting. When hostgator transfers your files to their host they just make a backup using cPanel and transfer ALL the files to hostgator using SSH. That means your addon domains are included. Maybe he understood you wrong.

- Daniel

Depends on big the site is. I would imagine that if your sites' combined total is 2 GB or less they should do this for free. It is cPanel after all, and cPanel doesn't care how many addon domains you have, it's all automated except for the initial part that requires a person to step in. That is, if it's a FULL site backup.

You can create your own backups and use SSH to grab the backup from your old host and move it over, then use cPanel again to restore the backups you created.

cPanel also has other options for backing data up, I suggest looking in that section.

Do you have a shared or reseller account with them?

Unless the policy has changed since I was a customer there (which was earlier this year), the transfers are free for shared accounts, and free for upto 20 accounts on reseller plans.

You can request it at:
    https://secure.hostgator.com/transfer.php (shared) or https://secure.hostgator.com/resellertransfer.php (reseller)

I strongly suggest you take a look at http://www.hostgator.com/ticket to see all the options available to you.
    Big things coming soon

It's not unreasonable for a host to charge for cpanel migrations, past a certian number of domains being migrated. They can be very time consuming, as they need to be migrated one at a time, unless you have root access on both servers. Then there's the post migration issues to deal with, which can be substantial and also very time consuming.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

If it's a main account with addons the addons are transferred for free. If it's a reseller account trying to get all the account onto addon domain names a fee is charged.

addon to addon is no problem
    Main account to addon isn't as easy.
    Last edited by BrentOfHG; 12-30-2007 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hostgator.com View Post
    If it's a main account with addons the addons are transferred for free. If it's a reseller account trying to all the account onto addon domain names that is when the fee is put in place.

addon to addon is no problem
    Main account to addon isn't as easy.
    You got that right. It's just as bad when it's someone coming from a host that uses addon domains for multiple domains, and the client wants all those addon domains to be setup with their own cpanels etc. Not fun at all and we won't do them, not even for a fee.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob View Post
    You got that right. It's just as bad when it's someone coming from a host that uses addon domains for multiple domains, and the client wants all those addon domains to be setup with their own cpanels etc. Not fun at all and we won't do them, not even for a fee.

HAHA yeah I agree there

That's just a ton of work and not even worth it for a fee.

Luckily you don't see many users like that
    Tony B. - Chief Executive Officer
    Hawk Host Inc. Proudly serving websites since 2004
    Quality Shared and Cloud Hosting
    PHP 5.2.x - PHP 8.1.X Support!

Quote Originally Posted by suzyweb View Post
    Hello there

I made a previous post about looking for a new hosting provider. The one I currently use has allot of downtime when I'm trying to edit my new Joomla site.

I'm leaning towards Hostgator, but I just got done speaking to their support. I was told that they will charge me $10 for each addon domain that they transfer and the main domain transfer will be free. I have 4 addon domains in cpanel so that would be an extra $40 just for switching to a new host. Ouchy.

Is this a common practice to charge extra for addon domain transfers for new customers? The website said that the transfer would be free. (I guess it meant only one domain would be free.)

Maybe I'm being nitpicky. I can transfer the websites without the databases ok I think. What I'm really concerned about is transfering the new Joomla site I'm working on which uses a mysql database. (This is an addon domain in my cpanel.) Is this going to be a pain to move? I'm really dumb when it comes to technical stuff. Help!

Also, do I need to worry about how many concurrent users or whatever? Does Hostgator limit this? Sorry I'm such a noob!
    I used to have a site a while back;don't remember they charge me for addon domain transfer.
    by the way, if you have database with your site; you might want to change the database-name with your new host, or either keep the same username for your host. Or your site will probably show a database error. Good luck with your new host.

even if you have 50 addon accounts cpanel backup its with as one file with main domain.

Thanks for all the feedback! I must have said the wrong thing to the first support person at Hostgator. The second person I talked to said that it would all be free. Yah! I'm definitely going to try out Hostgator. It's also good to know that they will transfer an addon domain for me to a new account if that becomes a need in the future. Go Hostgator!

Suzy, transferring accounts between cPanel servers is really quite easy to do. It is all automated, and done entirely by the server. The tech has to type a username and a password into 2 boxes, and check a radio button ... that's it. We're not talking about rocket science, it's a built-in feature in cPanel.

Most web hosts will be happy to transfer your accounts for free if you ask.

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Suzy, let us know how hostgator went for you.