Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    guys, it's not that some of you do not understand how 1/mo hosting works, it's that you're angry at cheap hosts. they steal your clients - people whom you could sell your expensive service. well, bad news is that this is not gonna stop. never. cheap hosting will always be there, so just get used to it.

you are not going to explain any1 why your biz model is better. it is not. there is no such thing as 'better'. some people are not trying to make millions on web hosting, they are happy with extra $500 each month as long as it comes easy. 'cheap hosting' model works for them just great!

John C. -- I have customers paying over $899,500/mo for a large
    amount of clustered dedicated servers co-located in a space-ship. Ok,
    not really.

Not the point, my post was ment to say that right now a customer
    expects to pay around $10/month give/take for around 500 MB of
    disk space and over 15,000 mb of bandwidth. Pretty standard. Host
    rocket, IPW, ******, Luner Pages, want me to name more decent-sized
    hosting companies that do this kind of price/feature set and provide
    more-than-decent service?

I have customers really paying 100/mo too -- but the plans are a lot
    bigger.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Originally posted by antoshka
    guys, it's not that some of you do not understand how 1/mo hosting works, it's that you're angry at cheap hosts. they steal your clients - people whom you could sell your expensive service. well, bad news is that this is not gonna stop. never. cheap hosting will always be there, so just get used to it.

you are not going to explain any1 why your biz model is better. it is not. there is no such thing as 'better'. some people are not trying to make millions on web hosting, they are happy with extra $500 each month as long as it comes easy. 'cheap hosting' model works for them just great!
    There is a big difference between a budget hosting service,
    and a recklassly poorly run and financially strapped hosting
    service. The fact of the matter is it costs much, much more than
    a dollar to host a client on any server. Not even counting
    processing fees.

By selling space this cheap you are going to go broke sooner
    or later.

I do not worry about your type of $1/month hosting stealing
    my customers. I don't think anyone else who is serious about
    the business they are in (hosting) worries about this either.

Cha-ching. Bed time.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

guys, it's not that some of you do not understand how 1/mo hosting works, it's that you're angry at cheap hosts. they steal your clients - people whom you could sell your expensive service.

actually the funny thing is, you COULD charge more, but since youev already let people know youre only worth a dollar a month, of course they line up to take advantage of you

well, bad news is that this is not gonna stop. never. cheap hosting will always be there, so just get used to it.

actually this is good news. i mean it. i tried the cheap hosting thing for about 2 months. i offered a $5.00 a month account. guess what that got me. a bunch of clueless clients who didnt know anything about anything and that expected the world for their 5 bucks. sorry, honestly my time is worth a lot more. in fact, its normally worth $65 per hour.

you are not going to explain any1 why your biz model is better. it is not. there is no such thing as 'better'.

this is where i absolutely agree with you 100%. look at all the disappearing hosts here. count them up, youll see that most of them ARENT cheapie hosts. most of them are the ones who probably spent too much money trying to be competitive and they just didnt know what they were doing and said f it! i am NOT a believer in you get what you pay for, as this is rarely the case. and that is a myth.

some people are not trying to make millions on web hosting, they are happy with extra $500 each month as long as it comes easy. 'cheap hosting' model works for them just great!

while that may be true, it makes no sense. is anyone really dumb enough to make less when they can make more?? you *could* always work at mc donalds if you wanted to. i mean, someone has to do it.

im not one of those mad hosts who hates cheapie hosts. i tried it. i JUST put up my new site and just about tripled my prices. funny thing is, no one has complained so far. when i sent out my billing, it was paid. no one even asked me any questions.

im SURE people will be asking questions now because instead of having that weird blue/green $15.00 generic hosting template site with big letters saying $1.00 hosting, it has quite a warning about why people who CARE about their business should choose me rather than you! if they dont like it and understand how REAL business works and the value of paying what they should, you are more than welcomed to them. in fact, give me your info, ill send them YOUR way.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!

hahahahahah stealing our clients for $1 .... hahaha you can keep them, there are always cheap skates, and you are doing me a favour in taking them and sparing me the trouble of dealing with them. I would never target cheap clients that is just crazy and will never work. You might think not now, but eventually you will see the light and say why am I going through all this hassle for a few bucks…. I mean if you don’t god… isn’t you time worth a little more? If not good luck.

Yes it will probally always be there, but not from the same hosts as they come and go like a revolving door, as soon as one drops off the face of the earth another pops it's head up offering the same rediculous pricing structure then a few weeks down the road it revolves all over again.

But you're right, there will always be a market for $1 a month hosts because there will always be

a) the people who don't know any better and are under the impression this is the norm

b) the people who have been burned before but simply think it was "just bad luck"

c) the people who actually don't care that they have to move their website every few weeks/months aslong as they can keep their monthly hosting bill down to an amount that wont really be noticable on mum or dads credit card

Add all these guys up and there's your market of $1 a month hostees

In addition, i saw an offer posted on another hosting forum today priced at $2.95 per year can anybody work out the logic in that business model?
    Hyperconfused (™)

Quote Originally Posted by midphase-Dan
    disk space and over 15,000 mb of bandwidth. Pretty standard
    You mean YOUR customers in the market YOU target expect to pay that amount for those allocations. My clients realize there is no way they could get the level of service they currently enjoy if they were paying those rates. That's one of the reasons why they are with me now.

For some people the budget road works for their website. For many others it's not even an option to consider..

yup, its like the difference between mc donalds and ruth chris steakhouse

again, i did the cheap hosting for a couple of months... the clientelle was, well, lacking in business acumen and the general understanding of what it takes to make a business and a website work.

Very true. I guess it is just human nature for someone who just want some exposure to the web without too much financial commitment, the budget host would offers their needs (hopefully they do not get disillusion with whatever service they are getting from the low-end host). These probably are people without technical knowledge and probably first time doing a web site. But once they get more familiar with the web and realized the value that the web host plays, they probably be willing to pay more.

I know it is good to cut cost and all that and getting the best value for the buck but there is definitely a limit as to where that can go to.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by midphase-Dan
    John C. -- I have customers paying over $899,500/mo for a large
    amount of clustered dedicated servers co-located in a space-ship. Ok,
    not really.

disk space and over 15,000 mb of bandwidth. Pretty standard. Host
    rocket, IPW, ******, Luner Pages, want me to name more decent-sized
    hosting companies that do this kind of price/feature set and provide
    more-than-decent service?

I have customers really paying 100/mo too -- but the plans are a lot
    bigger.
    That is a wide generalization though. I can point to Rackspace, Verio, Interland, Futurequest, etc... as the exact opposite of the companies you listed.

Each market sector is willing to pay a much different amount for hosting. For us, our small to medium sized ecommerce businesses will *NOT* pay less than $20 a month for hosting, as their websites bring them serious income that they are not willing to risk on a budget host. And they only use 50-200 MB of disk space, and 1-5 GB of transfers per month, so we do not have to offer the world. They know their requirements, and we meet them.

There is nothing wrong with budget hosts. It is a different market with different problems and requirements to remain afloat into the future. However, there is also a thriving market for higher priced hosting that provides a higher level of service.

- John C.

Originally posted by JohnCrowley
    That is a wide generalization though. I can point to Rackspace, Verio, Interland, Futurequest, etc... as the exact opposite of the companies you listed.

Each market sector is willing to pay a much different amount for hosting. For us, our small to medium sized ecommerce businesses will *NOT* pay less than $20 a month for hosting, as their websites bring them serious income that they are not willing to risk on a budget host. And they only use 50-200 MB of disk space, and 1-5 GB of transfers per month, so we do not have to offer the world. They know their requirements, and we meet them.

There is nothing wrong with budget hosts. It is a different market with different problems and requirements to remain afloat into the future. However, there is also a thriving market for higher priced hosting that provides a higher level of service.

- John C.
    If I understand correctly, Interland has ceased almost all of their
    online marketing because of financial reasons. RackSpace is one
    of the few examples, and every few weeks we get a client from
    them becuase they are just to expensive.

Now, back to the space ships... Interland doesn't have one! Hah!

Dan
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

What one person considers expensive, another considers cheap. To each his or her own.

- John C.
    (flying to Mars in his personal spaceship for vacation)

Quote Originally Posted by midphase-Dan
    and every few weeks we get a client from
    them becuase they are just to expensive.
    Just as I'm sure Rackspace gets new clients that want the level of service that budget hosts cannot provide but that Rackspace can....

<off topic>
    Mars is boring, but Venus is a whole new world...
    </off topic>

This comes to the question, how much is budget pricing ? Yeah, I agree that there is a place for budget host but at what price ? Personally, I find at $30/mth for a virtual account to be budget because that's just $1/mth and very few things which works 24/7 cost as low as that.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

You're right again Eddy, most cell phones cost more than $1.00 a day to operate, as do most DSL and cable connections. Even dial up accounts cost more than what many of the budget hosting providers charge for an account.

http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...6686&catref=C1

apparently ebay shoppers see no value in cheap hosting OR hosting businesses either

i think im going to try a little experiment... im going to place a hosting (not reseller acct) ad on ebay, for a LOT more money and stress quality and see what happens... ill make sure and mention WHY people should NOT buy cheap hosting!

ill try to remembr to keep you updated

Re: $1

Originally posted by lostpacket
    LOL !..

Well for those companys run by teens they are probably loosing money, and for others they migh be using those plans as a loss leader. Just a plan to get customers, they offer service and support but customers complain about not enough speed, and they are then told they must upgrade their plan. Much like dialup service was a loss leader to most DSL companies.

But NetZero claims they can get 5X the speed of a dialup using a dialup.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

eBay is the wrong marketplace to sell hosting on. Simple as that.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Re: Re: $1

Originally posted by bizness
    So does ELN -- and just about every ISP. AOL is the only one that
    really pushes content over speed, and that is because their speed
    sucks.

But who's counting.
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

midphase-Dan

I think you miss understoof me... i was simply mocking that you cant get faster then dialup using a dialup.....

let me say it in another way...

what weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

pound of gold weighs more

duh

ummm... thats funny

a pound is a pound, no matter what it is

they are equal in weight but not in substance!

Re: Re: $1

Originally posted by bizness
    They cache pages, so I *guess* it really is faster.

Wait a minute how can a 14 year old be running a business? Is it even legal? Do you even pay taxes? Do you run everything legit? How do you do support? Is it phone support, email support, ticket support, or live text support or all? How do you bill your customers? How do you respond to your customers while your at school? Your using paypal and your not even 18?

Your no business, get out of this industry before you get bit by a big dog, the IRS doesn't play games little boy.
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Originally posted by NationHosts
    Wait a minute how can a 14 year old be running a business? Is it even legal? Do you even pay taxes? Do you run everything legit? How do you do support? Is it phone support, email support, ticket support, or live text support or all? How do you bill your customers? How do you respond to your customers while your at school? Your using paypal and your not even 18?

Your no business, get out of this industry before you get bit by a big dog, the IRS doesn't play games little boy.
    I resent that! I'm 11!

(Just kidding, really I'm 6. Really.)
    ---
    Dan Ushman
    Co-founder & CMO
    SingleHop, Inc.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast