Help to cancel my account

Hello. I've got a website with iPowerweb since three years ago and now I'm gonna move to another host due to recent (and persistent) problems in my mysql databases. They are not able to fix those issues, so I leave. Well, this is the first time I move to another host and I have doubts about the steps that have to be done.

The main one: I don't know what is gonna happen to my present domain (signed with iPowerweb). Maybe someone in this forum has experience in this, and could advise me. In two or three weeks from now I'll tell iPowerWeb that I leave them. My domain expires in september. From the moment I leave, do they let my domain free to be used with another host or do they keep it locked until the expiration date?. Will I have problems with my domain if I leave this company before the
    expiration date?

Well, as you can see I am newbie in these affairs. Sorry if this question has an evident answer, but I swear I have no idea about it. If someone has also some advice about the steps I must follow to change my host (or any comment to do or whatever) I will be very grateful. Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi! Welcome to WHT
    Do you have control over your domain? I mean, are you registered as administrator contact?
    If you want you can PM me your domain and your name and I can take a look about it.
    If your domain is under your control, is pretty simple, you'll need to fist found a new host (this is the hardest part), research about it, look every were, not only in this forum (there are too many overrated members and host in this forum, I wouldn't trust anything to them), once you have found your host, I would suggest to transfer your domain from the current registrar, but that's up to you, then, signup with the new host . Move your files/databases/emails (everything) from your old host to the new one, change nameservers (DNS) wait about a week and only then cancel your account with your old host.
    That would be (more or less) the steps to follow.
    Good luck in your hunt of a new house for your site.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

E-mail billing@ipowerweb.com. Once your hosting account is cancelled, they will provide you with a separate account username/password to control your domain name. It will be your choice whether or not you want to renew your domain name for additional years. No, I don't work for them. Good luck.
    Updating signature...

Thanks for your help. Jedito, handaajay15: my domain name is << not important, and removed by request >>. I don't know if I have control over my domain...
    Last edited by the_pm; 05-11-2006 at 08:51 AM.

If your domain is @yahoo.com then it looks like yes, you have control over it.

BTW; I speak spanish too if you need any help and does it make you dificult in english (however, we have to talk in english at the public forum)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rcg_01es
    Thanks for your help. Jedito, handaajay15: my domain name is << not important, and removed by request >>. I don't know if I have control over my domain...
    Yes, if your email is the one listed under the administrative contact you will have control over the domain. Perform a WHOIS (Google: Whois) to see the exact email address... I'd rather not post it here.
    Last edited by the_pm; 05-11-2006 at 08:51 AM.
    RACK911 Labs | Penetration Testing | https://www.RACK911Labs.ca

www.HostingSecList.com - Security Notices for the Hosting Community.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    BTW; I speak spanish too if you need any help and does it make you dificult in english (however, we have to talk in english at the public forum)
    Thanks... I have tried to send a pm but I can't... I don't know how to make the steps you comment (except the first one -I suppose-, finding new host)... I don't know how to move my databases (I think they will have different mysql version in each host and they will fail), I don't know how to transfer the domain, I don't know how to change nameservers (what does "change nameservers" mean?)... I don't know anything... In any case, thank you for your reply. If someone knows about any tutorial or post or anything that explains accurately all of this I will be grateful and then I won't bother anymore. And, for the admin: sorry for my last post... I tried to erase it but I can't...
    Last edited by rcg_01es; 05-11-2006 at 04:16 AM.

The main one: I don't know what is gonna happen to my present domain (signed with iPowerweb).
    You should contact them about this and check the TOS with signed with them.

what does "change nameservers" mean?
    Your new host will send you an email with various info, among which will be a set of nameservers. It is via these nameservers that a domain ultimately points to a certain (new) server.

If you take a look at your site's whois information using a tool like http://whois.domaintools.com << edited for privacy >>, you'll see lower down the page your domain's current nameservers (NS1.IPOWERWEB.NET and NS1.IPOWERDNS.COM) which quite easily to guess in this instance, point to an Ipowerweb server.

Under normal circumstances the registrar should be able and willing to help you out with this nameserver changing task.

I have tried to send a pm but I can't...
    From the rules:

You must make five (5) posts before utilizing the PM and system e-mail features. If you choose to make meaningless posts to circumvent this restriction, your account will be disabled.
    Last edited by the_pm; 05-11-2006 at 08:53 AM.