New Community - Verticle Market - HOW?

Hello All,

I have set up a new community targeting design professionals specializing in a certain area. I want to get these pro's to contribute and make a real community. The problem I have is this.

These people do not normally hang out in these types of places. I think I can get them to take part because the benefits of taking part are extremly high IF it become a success.

I am in the same business as the people I want to get involved.

If I email these people and ask them to take part in THEIR professional community will this be considered as spam?

Does anybody have ideas about getting to these people without offending. I am on a tight budget as I have footed the costs so far. This is a start from scratch community.

Thanks for looking

Simon

If I email these people and ask them to take part in THEIR professional community will this be considered as spam?
    Yep it would, because it is unsolicited email.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

I don't think it'd officially be "SPAM" but it may piss certain people off.

hey jump on an IM or pm me with the url of site, if you dont mind.

Originally posted by N9ne
    Yep it would, because it is unsolicited email.
    This is an interseting point and I expected this response. I know this whole spam thing is very emotive hence it is why I am seeking opinion.

I recieved an email out of the blue from a designer not so long ago asking me if I used freelance designers and if so..here was his portfolio.

I di not solicite the email ...nor did I consider it spam. Would you have considered this spam too?

Simon

Originally posted by biovelocity
    hey jump on an IM or pm me with the url of site, if you dont mind.
    I am not ready to go public just yet but drop me an email at logosale@thelogocompany.net and when I do I will drop you a line

Simon

Originally posted by SimonMc
    This is an interseting point and I expected this response. I know this whole spam thing is very emotive hence it is why I am seeking opinion.

I recieved an email out of the blue from a designer not so long ago asking me if I used freelance designers and if so..here was his portfolio.

I di not solicite the email ...nor did I consider it spam. Would you have considered this spam too?

Simon
    Well, these days an email that one does not expect is marked as spam immediately...

Well, these days an email that one does not expect is marked as spam immediately...
    Is that by you personally or are you speaking for everybody?

Simon

Is that by you personally or are you speaking for everybody?

Simon
    A lot of people I know do, I don't know about others though. But generally if an email you get isn't something you asked for or expected, it is spam isn't it?

A lot of people I know do, I don't know about others though. But generally if an email you get isn't something you asked for or expected, it is spam isn't it?
    Well..It is a fine line to tread but my personal opinion is no. It is not necessarily spam.

So..have you got any ideas about contacting these people to get them to take part?

Simon

Well..It is a fine line to tread but my personal opinion is no. It is not necessarily spam.

So..have you got any ideas about contacting these people to get them to take part?

Simon
    Well I think the main problem is different people take emails in different ways. Some may think 'oh cool, let me check it out', while some may frown upon it and that would give the place a bad name.

IMO, email isn't the best way to go about it, are there any other ways you could do this?

Well I think the main problem is different people take emails in different ways. Some may think 'oh cool, let me check it out', while some may frown upon it and that would give the place a bad name.

IMO, email isn't the best way to go about it, are there any other ways you could do this?
    Thats what Im looking for. Any suggestions?

Simon

suggestions:

Google Adwords
    Overture
    other search engine placements
    Banner ads
    Newspaper ads
    TV ad slots
    Road Shows
    Outdoor billboards
    Promo offers-free hosting and domains
    Unlimited bandwidth & space

Originally posted by RajanUrs
    suggestions:

Google Adwords
    Overture
    other search engine placements
    Banner ads
    Newspaper ads
    TV ad slots
    Road Shows
    Outdoor billboards
    Promo offers-free hosting and domains
    Unlimited bandwidth & space
    When I posted this thread I was in two minds. Most of me was saying that posting this here is a complete waste of effort...and the tiny fragment of my conscience left over was saying..go on..give it a shot. There may be some good answers out there. There maybe one or two people with an angle on this.

Should always listen to yourself.

Simon

I say if the letter is written so it's personal, then it's not spam. If it's the same letter sent over and over to everyone, some may compare the letters and mark you as a spammer. So, write different letters for each person and you should be fine.

Originally posted by Vox Hosting
    I say if the letter is written so it's personal, then it's not spam. If it's the same letter sent over and over to everyone, some may compare the letters and mark you as a spammer. So, write different letters for each person and you should be fine.
    I too thought this would be acceptable. In the main...people have a contact form on their web site. I thought about using this to get in touch. At least it proves I am not mass mailing and it is more personal to use their prefered method of contact.

What are your thoughts on contacting this way?

Simon